Shore Climbing Routes

April 15, 2016, 7:36 a.m.

And don't forget Warden

April 15, 2016, 7:54 a.m.

Does No Quarter lead to anything yet? When I rode it late last year, it just ended at the bottom of Executioner. The only part that I considered well done were the last few switchbacks between Dreamweaver and Executioner. Until it leads up to the road and onto some actual trailheads, I much prefer mountain highway to get to the top.

When you get to executioner, head down it for about 200 meters. You will see the last section of "No Quarter" on your left. Goes right up to the road. It sux big time because its root city. Sucks the life right out of you.

I have been climbing it twice a week and it is getting easier. Really should be called the "Endless suck."

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 15, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

When you get to executioner, head down it for about 200 meters. You will see the last section of "No Quarter" on your left. Goes right up to the road. It sux big time because its root city. Sucks the life right out of you.

I have been climbing it twice a week and it is getting easier. Really should be called the "Endless suck."

I believe it is called "endless suck" on Strava lol

April 15, 2016, 8:49 a.m.

I believe it is called "endless suck" on Strava lol

Yeah the last section is tagged that. Perfect

April 15, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

Yeah the last section is tagged that. Perfect

The last section that hits up a the old logging road is most certainly a killer. Got through it last time I rode it but did have to stop to recover the pieces of lung.

I wonder if that will be the final trail design to use that skidder trail or if it ducks back into the bush and does a few more zigs and zags. The very last section leading up to mtn highway is now in place but is still pretty soft. With a little dry weather headed our way it should firm up nicely.

I don't ride NQ very often and every time I do ride it I think, it should be easier this time, hopeless optimism, but it kicks my a$$ every time.

April 15, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

The last section that hits up a the old logging road is most certainly a killer. Got through it last time I rode it but did have to stop to recover the pieces of lung.

I wonder if that will be the final trail design to use that skidder trail or if it ducks back into the bush and does a few more zigs and zags. The very last section leading up to mtn highway is now in place but is still pretty soft. With a little dry weather headed our way it should firm up nicely.

I don't ride NQ very often and every time I do ride it I think, it should be easier this time, hopeless optimism, but it kicks my a$$ every time.

If you look off to the left as you climb the skidder there are little pink flags in the bush. Hoping the plan is to get off the skidder eventually but for now they probably just wanted to get it rideable using existing routes.

April 15, 2016, 10:02 a.m.

Appreciate these reports. Think I'll stick to Mtn Highway :)

April 15, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

If you look off to the left as you climb the skidder there are little pink flags in the bush. Hoping the plan is to get off the skidder eventually but for now they probably just wanted to get it rideable using existing routes.

Lets hope so.
We call the skidder the ribcage. If you look at a GPS track the trail could be shortened in sections. Would be steep but quicker to get it over with. No offence to the builders.:love:

April 15, 2016, 11:47 a.m.

Appreciate these reports. Think I'll stick to Mtn Highway :)

Based on the descriptions of NQ in this thread it sounds like most people will be sticking to Mtn Hwy. Kind of a shame because it seems that a ton of man hours were put in to build this climbing route in the first place.

April 15, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Based on the descriptions of NQ in this thread it sounds like most people will be sticking to Mtn Hwy. Kind of a shame because it seems that a ton of man hours were put in to build this climbing route in the first place.

I think it will be well used.

Like all things, it just won't be for everyone. Once my fitness improves (not IF!), I'm sure I'll slog up that way. Kinda fun to end your descent at the car (or close to it).

April 15, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

Based on the descriptions of NQ in this thread it sounds like most people will be sticking to Mtn Hwy. Kind of a shame

Strongly disagree:-) Despite all the other great additions over the last while, this is by far my favorite. It’s also getting iteratively easier (i.e. the little recent detour that skirts the punchy section right before the Ex connector). If you’re parking on Dempsey, I find that there isn’t much time difference between the climbing trail to Mtn Hwy and riding across the BP and up the road.

IME, there’s so much value in having access to the trail network from the Dempsey side. Parking is never an issue if I’m in a car and if I ride over, I’ll take the powerline and hook up with the climber. I could go on :-)

April 15, 2016, 1:02 p.m.

I really like the NQ climb, but I feel like the GSM route has created more nice accessible loop options on Seymour. I was riding almost exclusively Fromme for a while, but GSM might have tilted my preferences to Seymour. GSM makes that whole west side of Seymour really loopable now - two or three laps up GSM, maybe a John Deere miniloop (or whatever it is) and you can get some really mixed and varied riding in a solid couple of hours.

NQ is definitely being filled in, more little bits added here and there but, like most it seems, the only part I don't like is the skid road ascent - it's just hard to get a rhythm going. And it is a bit of a lung-buster. I like linking a couple of climbs using NQ - park near Dempsey/Braemar and take NQ up to Mtn Highway, 7th/Crinkum/Kirkford descent, maybe a small Floppy Bunny or Bobsled loop, climb back up and take any of the trails down to Pennzoil and back to the car. That ends up being about 15km and probably 800m - that's a pretty decent ride.

I'll often decide my route based on whether the parking lot on Fromme is full - if it is, then it's either No Quarter or that climb up the King of the Shore and stuff that others have mentioned.

April 15, 2016, 1:26 p.m.

Climbing trails [HTML_REMOVED] gravel roads. Every single time.

April 16, 2016, 12:52 a.m.

North Shore climbing is now a game changer, but for those in search of the holy suffering epic single track grail… Pemberton, Happy/Nimby/Middle Earth\Rudy\Gravatron\JTR. And Westbank, The Gruel/Soul Train\Feel the Love. Put these on your bucket list for sure.

April 16, 2016, 12:57 p.m.

While we're talking about NQ climb what is the trail down to the left that looks like it's had some done work right after executioner and the new steep section bypass?