Sharon's Book: Local's Guide to North Shore Rides

July 3, 2011, 9:49 p.m.

I did the Dreamweaver Tour today and had no trouble finding my way from Executioner, down through Dreamweaver, and into the warned mass of criss-crossing trails before coming out to the powerlines. Fun ride.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 3, 2011, 10:15 p.m.

I did the Dreamweaver Tour today and had no trouble finding my way from Executioner, down through Dreamweaver, and into the warned mass of criss-crossing trails before coming out to the powerlines. Fun ride.

I did that ride this morning as well. Good advice in the book about tending left but never climb. Found my way down to Lower Boundary pretty well.

But wow, was that a greasy root ride! :)

July 3, 2011, 10:17 p.m.

Bikesnale for the win!

There are some markings on the trees at intersections the DNV didn't put a sign post on.

And Peach, ya the cranks they use at sprockids are pretty cool! Would be great to be able to do something like that here.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 4, 2011, 9:13 a.m.

Totally. I did Bookwus first. Then back up to Executioner. Top of Executioner was pretty chill. Then rooty flowy bits in between. Some fun XC traversing with roots chutes and ending at Lower Boundary. Sounds like we covered the same route.

July 4, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

I can confirm the book is not waterproof. :/

The Executioner/Dreamweaver route (Executioner to only be ridden in the dry) is a lot of fun and the map was a big help.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 4, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

holy cow is upper tall cans shitkicked now compared to a few years ago . its the books fault for sure. still better than most but you should have seen it in its prime.

but really it shows you how it dosnt take long to work a trail over. and that trail is far from being a fall line plunge.

July 4, 2011, 2:04 p.m.

I can confirm the book is not waterproof. :/

The Executioner/Dreamweaver route (Executioner to only be ridden in the dry) is a lot of fun and the map was a big help.

I sense a bit of hypocrisy in these two statements, lol. Your soggy book is the punishment for riding Executioner in the wet!

flickr

July 4, 2011, 2:19 p.m.

holy cow is upper tall cans shitkicked now compared to a few years ago . its the books fault for sure. still better than most but you should have seen it in its prime.

but really it shows you how it dosnt take long to work a trail over. and that trail is far from being a fall line plunge.

Nor does that trail have any significant drainage issues, yet a lot of sections have lost the nice gold dirt trail bed that was once there.

But I would say that the trail was well on the way to being punched before the book came out. And better that the trail is beat and in the book, than it being lost to a housing development with no consideration of its existance. The trail builders wanted to see it in the book for this very reason.

By the way, the trail is open for adoption. The original builders are no longer intrested in working on the trail.

July 4, 2011, 2:28 p.m.

no im pretty sure its the books fault

July 4, 2011, 3:17 p.m.

no im pretty sure its the books fault

Are you being sarcastic?

July 4, 2011, 3:29 p.m.

nope. he's not. at all.

July 4, 2011, 4:31 p.m.

I sense a bit of hypocrisy in these two statements, lol. Your soggy book is the punishment for riding Executioner in the wet!

:) na, with hand on heart I can say not me; I have worked too much trail to do that, just left the book out overnight after a ride. Looks like I'll need to go buy another.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 4, 2011, 10:17 p.m.

Sorry - didn't know it was a faux-pas to ride it in the wet. The only other time I've ridden Executioner was in bone dry conditions about 2 years ago. It was pretty much a blazing rodeo ride of loose rocky fall line, dust and a tight pucker. I thought it would be decent Sunday but it was still pretty wet and greasy. Likely won't ride it again for a while until she dries out.

Dreamweaver was pretty cool though. Nice little adventure trying to stay on course. Last time I rode it I got lost half way. Like I said before, good advice from the guide kept me on the right path this time.

July 12, 2011, 9:22 p.m.

Rode up BLT hoping to find Antagonizer, which doesn't have a detailed description in the book (but is shown on the map).

This was my third time up the BLT but the first time going beyond Upper Tall Cans. There's really only one major steep pitch after that; the rest is pretty easy.

I know Blind Skier and was pretty sure I got on to Antagonizer (turned off BS just before the first big rock onto a relatively flat, pumptracky loam trail) but missed the turn-off for the rest of Antagonizer somewhere because I ended up back on Blind Skier and out on the road just above the 3rd switchback. No big deal as I hit Slippery Canoe - Pull Tab - a bunch of other stuff I don't know the names of.

Super fun ride. It's satisfying to climb so high on the mountain and get so much descending.

July 12, 2011, 9:27 p.m.

I bought this book. No secret trails. WTF? I want my money back!