Save Grannies. Want to keep it open to mountain biking? Write in and ride it

April 29, 2019, 8:32 a.m.

from NSMB.com facebook page

We’ve heard substantiated rumours that the District of North Van is considering making Grannies a hiking only trail. It’s one of the purest and oldest mountain bike trails left on the Shore and it’s in great shape. Get out and ride it! #savegranniestrail #digger #nsmba

Make a vocal stand and write to [email protected] to make your voice heard

April 29, 2019, 12:55 p.m.

Besides Kennedy Falls, why would someone go to Fromme to hike? I've always found it's newbies/out of towners who try to hike at Fromme and they likely are not having a good time on the bike trails. Totally understand trail runners/walkers, dog walkers etc. going there for the BP or up Mountain Highway and I have no elitism or issue sharing trails with those folks... just always found it odd to see people in hiking gear going nowhere.

Grannies makes zero sense for hikers, this is weird...

April 29, 2019, 2:13 p.m.

Would that also mean that Upper Crippler would be affected?  They both share the same entrance off of Mtn Highway and split off about 300m down.

April 29, 2019, 3:03 p.m.

Who exactly is the expected hiker audience for Grannies and why on Earth would anyone think this is a good choice?

Though I love Grannies (and Upper Crippler!) it can be hard convincing people to ride it. It's definitely not for babies.

April 29, 2019, 5:18 p.m.

There are some great potential hikes on Fromme using the network of semi overgrown skidders from the logging days that would be much more enjoyable than going up/down Grannies.

Not every hike needs to be to some great attraction or view point. Some people just want to get out in the trees for a stroll. 

I'd rather see hikers using the climbing route than have a classic like Grannies made hiking only. I don't think the staffer at the DNV that is considering this knows the shitstorm their in for if they try to take Grannies.

April 29, 2019, 5:51 p.m.

Agreed - all of my most memorable hikes on Fromme have been old skidder roads, finding old paths buried alongside massive rock slabs and generally bushwhacking, not a manicured pathway. 

Grannies is tough ride but if you've got the skill level to appreciate it, it's great. It's also a 'heritage' trail for mtb if ever I heard of one. 

Just because it's not used often in no way means it should be reclassified. I've already asked the DNV why this is happening, but please reach out as well to add voices to the storm.

April 29, 2019, 6:27 p.m.

Was on Fromme this aft. Rode back and forth  over the counter like 20 times.

April 29, 2019, 8:39 p.m.

There is no shortage of nicely graded old skidders on that part of the mountain that are barely used by anyone. Why not just use one of those?

April 30, 2019, 7:55 a.m.

Nobody panic. 

"Fortunately, the rumor you have heard about Grannies is only that - a rumor.

We can confirm that the District Parks Department has not engaged in any discussions regarding the future of this trail, and we do not currently have any plans regarding its future beyond maintaining its current status."

April 30, 2019, 8:17 a.m.

sigh. *places pitchfork back in shed*.

reminds me - it's been too long since i've ridden this.

April 30, 2019, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Nobody panic.

"Fortunately, the rumor you have heard about Grannies is only that - a rumor.

We can confirm that the District Parks Department has not engaged in any discussions regarding the future of this trail, and we do not currently have any plans regarding its future beyond maintaining its current status."

But they've installed a counter?

April 30, 2019, 11:46 a.m.

They put counters on trails somewhat regularly; so does Metro/LSCR.

April 30, 2019, 11:57 a.m.

Big Brother is watching you.

April 30, 2019, 12:37 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

They put counters on trails somewhat regularly; so does Metro/LSCR.

10-4

Times they are a changin...

April 30, 2019, 1 p.m.

I asked for some clarification and specificity on a couple things. xy9ine has it: you can put your pitchforks down for the moment. I'm glad everyone keeps them in good shape though! Never know when we're gonna need 'em. 

· The District Parks Department plans on maintaining Grannies’ current status as a sanctioned, permitted, bike primary trail for the foreseeable future"

· To the best of my knowledge, there are no other departments actively engaged in works or plans in that area.