SAVE FROMME!!!!!

Feb. 27, 2004, 10:26 p.m.

hey guys. i just got this in an email:

**To me it was pretty obvious, after attending only one council meeting that even the other North Van District councillors think Ernie Crist is a bit of a nutbar. As soon as he opens his mouth that all becomes clear. His latest stunt is to put forward a motion to ban riding from Mount Fromme. According to members of the nsmbA who have been following his antics, councillor Crist has been assembling a fictitious rationale in order to strengthen his case.

There has been an ongoing discussion about Mountain View Park and whether or not it is compatible with mountain bikers. The park is at the very base of Fromme and it is a sensitive, swampy zone. For years youth from the area have used Mountain View Park to build everything from stunts to treehouses and as a result the forest floor is not in great shape. If you look at trails on the rest of Mt. Fromme they are in excellent condition and builders like Todd "Digger" Fiander do a great job of narrowing their trails and lessening the impact on the mountain.

While I agree that there are some issues in Mountain View Park that need addressing, the local resident who has the ear of council should probably be institutionalised. The unfortunate reality of municipal politics is that one noisy loon gets more play than 15 sane individuals. No wonder Councillor Crist listens to her - the are loons of a feather.

Councillor Crist, who may not have set foot above Mountain View Park, seems to be extrapolating the conclusions from the Mountain View Park report to the rest of Fromme to press for a riding ban. To view his proposal click here.

If you care about mountain biking on the North Shore please come to the council meeting this Monday, March 1st 7:00pm, 355 West Queens Road, North Vancouver.

If you have any comments for the mayor or councillors (some of whom are mtb friendly) you can email them at these addresses. Please only do so if you have a productive comment to make.
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]**

i know that i will be there, and i hope that all locals will be too. please post your felling on this, and if you are just really pissed off at the thought of some person who doesent bike, never been up on fromme, wanting to close it, PLEASE COME ON MONDAY
i is probably my favorite place to ride, and i do not want to lose it. show your support for the biking industry and help save fromme on monday.

:smokey::canada:KICKS ASS

Feb. 27, 2004, 10:44 p.m.

I wish I could go, hope you guys can save this incredible mountain where everything started and that everyone comes around the world to come ride it.

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer

Feb. 27, 2004, 10:50 p.m.

Originally posted by _TAZ_SIMPSON _
Councillor Crist, who may not have set foot above Mountain View Park, seems to be extrapolating the conclusions from the Mountain View Park report to the rest of Fromme to press for a riding ban. To view his proposal click here.

Could you post the link to Crist's proposal? I seem to be a little bit out of the loop regarding this particular line of communication.

Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 27, 2004, 10:54 p.m.

id go and show support, but i dont live in the lower mainland. id prolly have to stay the night as the last ferry home is early.

Feb. 27, 2004, 10:56 p.m.

I won't be able to make the meeting Monday night but I hope the email I just sent to the Mayor will help. One close-minded councillor speaking on behalf of minority opinions should not alter the use of our District land. Good luck to all that can attend the meeting.

Feb. 27, 2004, 11:21 p.m.

k i wil try my darndest to go

www.idun.tv
03' marzocchi dirt jumper 2
new steerer, crown, stantions
$300 obo

Feb. 28, 2004, 2:53 a.m.

E-mails sent on the Fromme issue. I'm feeling pretty righteous about now after sending off all those e-mails to Delta earlier this week too. Bring 'em on, we can take on anyone!:flame:

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 28, 2004, 7:44 a.m.

Originally posted by _TAZ_SIMPSON _

**To me it was pretty obvious, after attending only one council meeting that even the other North Van District councillors think Ernie Crist is a bit of a nutbar. As soon as he opens his mouth that all becomes clear. His latest stunt is to put forward a motion to ban riding from Mount Fromme. According to members of the nsmbA who have been following his antics, councillor Crist has been assembling a fictitious rationale in order to strengthen his case.

Just to Clarify, it is not the official position of the NSMBA that Councillor Crist is a nutbar or the 'anti-Crist'.

As an experienced councillor who has seen many neighbourhood conflicts, he sees this as a solution (removing Mt. Fromme trails and relocating them to areas North of Seymour and Grouse) to this problem. Unfortunately we cannot agree with this solution because of the incredible impact it will have on access to the trails.

The opinion in the quoted email by one of our members is a reflection of the passion our members have for their beloved trails. The thought of losing this precious resource brings out all ranges of emotion. This is no different from the range of reactions from District residents.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 28, 2004, 10:03 a.m.

Originally posted by Hepcat
E-mails sent on the Fromme issue. I'm feeling pretty righteous about now after sending off all those e-mails to Delta earlier this week too. Bring 'em on, we can take on anyone!:flame:

Your emails and all others are appreciated.

The thing is, you can't fire off a couple of emails, sit back and say 'ah, problem solved… I've done my bit'.

There are people like Sharon Bader, Dave Diplock, Jeremy Powers to name a few who have been fighting for the rights of mountain bikers on the NS for years.

There are not enough people like them. They carry an unfair load.

NSMBA needs more members and more individuals willing to actively protect what we have. Because the forces that hate mountain bikers do not rest. So far their attempts to shut us down have been rejected, but they are tireless in their quest.

As much as we as MTB'rs hate political bull shit, unfortunately it's a reality that is not going to go away any day soon.

Join NSMBA… memberships are free. Make a tax deductible $20 donation if you can afford it and get involved in some capacity.

And above all be courteous and respectful of residants when your on the NS. If no-one has anything to complain about, then problem solved.

(Hey Hepcat… although I did quote you, my words are not directed specifically to you , just general comments for all)

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Feb. 28, 2004, 10:17 a.m.

are you sure nsmba memebrship is free? i thought it was 30$or somthing?

Feb. 28, 2004, 10:55 a.m.

Originally posted by NickS
are you sure nsmba memebrship is free? i thought it was 30$or somthing?

I am sure!

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Feb. 28, 2004, 12:41 p.m.

Anyone need a ride on Monday?? Live in East Van, heading out around 18:00ish…
Sharon - will you be accepting donation's for the NSMBA after/before the meeting??

Feb. 28, 2004, 6:10 p.m.

Originally posted by BIGDADDY

Sharon - will you be accepting donation's for the NSMBA after/before the meeting??

always!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 28, 2004, 6:51 p.m.

I sent a newsletter to all the John Henry subscribers with all the information regarding this. Hopefully it will help.

Feb. 28, 2004, 10:37 p.m.

thanks. i will probably be there. i will be wearing my Dizzy Cycles jersie with the rest of my sponsores written on the back.

:smokey::canada:KICKS ASS