Sabotage and desperation on the North Shore

Feb. 4, 2015, 3:55 p.m.

Or build a climb over near Penzoil… that should spread out the parking :lol:

Already is climbing trails around Pennzoil, however, the issue is below the BP you have a way higher likelihood of encountering hikers since they tend to be below or on the BP…IMO best option is to start at top of St Marys and take the Skid Road trail off the powerlines to the Ascent trail and then climb up the old school single track that takes you out between Pink Starfish and St Georges on the 6th switchback. Best part of this route is you will pretty much avoid hikers and dog walkers since you are below the BP for a short duration, only on the BP for 50 meters and once you get above BP only others you run into, if anyone, are MTBers. You'll need to leave your DH bike at home though.

Feb. 4, 2015, 4:30 p.m.

Already is climbing trails around Pennzoil, however, the issue is below the BP you have a way higher likelihood of encountering hikers since they tend to be below or on the BP…IMO best option is to start at top of St Marys and take the Skid Road trail off the powerlines to the Ascent trail and then climb up the old school single track that takes you out between Pink Starfish and St Georges on the 6th switchback. Best part of this route is you will pretty much avoid hikers and dog walkers since you are below the BP for a short duration, only on the BP for 50 meters and once you get above BP only others you run into, if anyone, are MTBers. You'll need to leave your DH bike at home though.

Above BP is this hike a bike, or actually climbable by mortals? I'm assuming this spits you out across from that short trail that doesn't exist that cuts across the 6th?

Feb. 4, 2015, 4:33 p.m.

re Penzoil: I thought that was like Fight Club…

Gonna go check out your suggested route though… cheers :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Feb. 4, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

Above BP is this hike a bike, or actually climbable by mortals? I'm assuming this spits you out across from that short trail that doesn't exist that cuts across the 6th?

Young mortals can ride 90%. For older mortals it's a 22 granny 28/32/36 rear cog grind. Really old mortals will need to rest against a tree every so often. IMO though it's secluded, mostly rideable and beats the Mtn Hwy road hands down. We've been riding up Fromme this way this since the early 90's and with the Ascent trail going in last year and the work that is currently being done on the second half of Ascent above the BP it will eventually become a much more popular way of getting up Fromme.

Personally I'd not recommend starting climbing at Dempsey/Braemar/Pennzoil access areas. The Dempsey and St Mary's trails and up to the BP are where you run into the most hikers and dog walkers so it's best if you can avoid those areas.

Feb. 4, 2015, 5:17 p.m.

Young mortals can ride 90%. For older mortals it's a 22 granny 28/32/36 rear cog grind. Really old mortals will need to rest against a tree every so often. IMO though it's secluded, mostly rideable and beats the Mtn Hwy road hands down. We've been riding up Fromme this way this since the early 90's and with the Ascent trail going in last year and the work that is currently being done on the second half of Ascent above the BP it will eventually become a much more popular way of getting up Fromme.

Personally I'd not recommend starting climbing at Dempsey/Braemar/Pennzoil access areas. The Dempsey and St Mary's trails and up to the BP are where you run into the most hikers and dog walkers so it's best if you can avoid those areas.

I'll have to hike it first to figure out the route. :P

Last time I was over on that side it was a maze of trails and I definitely didn't go the route I intended. I went down something that was too steep to even effectively hike a bike up, so I'm pretty sure it was not the route you're describing haha

Feb. 4, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

^ This

But wait, I guess everyone outside of us DNV residents (and taxpayers) actually wanted the parking lot… What a waste of money and resources that could have been better spent elsewhere…

I'm sure the locals on upper Lynn Valley streets would prefer not having to deal with the parking, noise, [HTML_REMOVED] issues….so guess what? We created our own problem.
As much as it is a thing of the past, people just don't want to ride to trails anymore (at least judging by the people I see parked way up the hill).

Feb. 4, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

I can't help but find it ironic reading about mountain bikers getting the pitchforks out over non-biking NIMBYism, and then also bitching about mountain bikers parking in 'their' neighbourhood :) Park down by the pub and ride up the road with my dog on a leash? Fuck that! Anyway, always plenty of parking where I normally park….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 4, 2015, 11:41 p.m.

I'm sure the locals on upper Lynn Valley streets would prefer not having to deal with the parking, noise, [HTML_REMOVED] issues….so guess what? We created our own problem.

Issues that have been massively over exaggerated by people who should know better. Issues that barely and rarely exist at all.

As much as it is a thing of the past, people just don't want to ride to trails anymore (at least judging by the people I see parked way up the hill).

Lazy fuckers don't, but they never did. Anywhere, not just here on Fromme.

Feb. 5, 2015, 9:09 a.m.

Nice to hear that most of the callers on CBC this morning had very positive things to say about their interactions with mountain bikers on the trails. Most of the callers that I heard were seniors from the hiking community, who found bikers to be friendly and respectful. The one exception was a women from the cove who admitted to blocking trails. One of her many complaints was that most of the bikers she meets on the trails are male. Mayor Walton also came across as being very supportive of mt biking.

Feb. 5, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

I only heard a snippet and it was the Mayor quickly and firmly rejecting segregated trails, was very glad to hear him make such a clear statement in support of multi-use trails.

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

Lazy fuckers don't, but they never did. Anywhere, not just here on Fromme.

I hear all this talk about climbing trails, but at the end of the day, a Lazy Fucker is what a Lazy Fucker does. So climbing trails won't make a difference, but a parking lot at Espresso will.

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:33 a.m.

I park way up the hill when I come down to ride fromme, I promise you I'm not a lazy fucker. why should the mall owners be forced to allow a bunch of bikers freeload off their parking?

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:41 a.m.

I park way up the hill when I come down to ride fromme, I promise you I'm not a lazy fucker. why should the mall owners be forced to allow a bunch of bikers freeload off their parking?

You can park by the sports fields … a lot of parents "freeload" park there when their kids are u?s?i?n?g? freeloading off the sports fields. Or Lynne headwaters, or any of the lower sidestreets off Mtn Hwy. What I don't get is that a majority of the houses in that area seem to have driveways and 2-car garages.

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

You can park by the sports fields … a lot of parents "freeload" park there when their kids are u?s?i?n?g? freeloading off the sports fields. Or Lynne headwaters, or any of the lower sidestreets off Mtn Hwy. What I don't get is that a majority of the houses in that area seem to have driveways and 2-car garages.

well guess what, it's a done deal and already happening, so you know, keep dwelling on it and telling everyone how lazy and stupid they all are.

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

Issues that have been massively over exaggerated by people who should know better. Issues that barely and rarely exist at all.

Actually, parking issues are a regular occurrence. It's a fact. I see it almost every time I head up to Fromme.

Just yesterday, I came around the corner from Mtn Hwy onto Coleman [HTML_REMOVED] three riders were riding up the hill abreast…one of them in the oncoming lane. I gave him a polite honk (he wasn't looking), [HTML_REMOVED] he gave me a one finger salute. Nice way to represent us riders!
If I had managed to get my gear on faster [HTML_REMOVED] seen him on the trails, I would have had a discussion with him.
The parking itself isn't where I see issues…it's the attitude.

I suspect it's probably not readers on this board, nor regulars to the area…but we all get lumped into the issue.