Rose Hill!!

Aug. 2, 2003, 10 a.m.

from Canada.com

"Yet another blaze leapt into flame late Friday night in the exclusive Rose Hill neighbourhood of Kamloops. RCMP believe the fire, which covered about one hectare, was deliberately set.

Resident Ben Whitman said he was in his father-in-law Dave Cooper's house on Rose Hill at around 8 p.m. when they saw a bush begin to burn.

"We know it must have been someone who set it because it just went up so quickly," Whitman said.

The two men rushed down the hillside and using coast and their feet, stamped out fire as best they could while others called the fire department. About one hectare burned before firefighters put out the blaze.

Constable Neil Macleod of the Kamloops RCMP said a criminal investigation will begin into how the fire started.

"It doesn't automatically combust by itself. It might have been someone who tossed a cigarette," Macleod said.

"

Can any 'Loopians provide any more info??

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:05 a.m.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:05 a.m.

GOOD GRIEF why are people so STUPID :mad:

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:07 a.m.

It seems to be a little bit of panic, I received this email from my Aunt, who lives in Kamloops, it doesn't sound good:

At 2 pm I got a call from Greg and Alison saying they couldn't come south from McBride as Highway 5 was closed because of a huge forest fire at McLure and Barriere about one hour north of town!) Greg's Mom and step-dad live in Barriere but they were at Roche Lake south of Kamloops for the weekend. They wouldn't let the kids into town to rescue anything from his mom's house either so they had to turn west at Little Fort, travel over to 70 Mile House, then south to Cache Creek, then east again to Kamloops. I expect them in at about midnight. They asked me to go out to Roche Lake and tell Gerry and Don that all of Barriere is being evacuated. While there we were listening to the news and they said that it is possible the entire town might burn as the fire is out of control and they have had to pull all crews from the front of the fire as it is moving too fast. Gerry and Don are very upset of course, as they may have no home to go home to on Monday. Their cell phone was getting low so I gave them mine to use over the weekend so they could contact their family members.

When I got back to town about 5 pm I faced the above picture which is Dome Mountain just across the valley from my place on the Indian Reserve. Some idiot had thrown a cigarette out the window and over 30 hectare were burning within 5 minutes. Now Rayleigh and Pinatan Lake (suburbs of Kamloops) are also being evacuated. Alison and I just worked the garden tour a few weeks ago in Rayleigh. It is so sad. The big fire at McLure and Barriere was also started by a cigarette. Now over 5000 people are being evacuated and possibly about to lose their homes too. The McLure Restaurant where we all met for Father's Day dinner was burned to the ground today in the fire. With high winds and 35 C heat, there is no end in sight. We currently have 299 fires burning in the Kamloops Region. The one pictured above is #299.

If Sun Peaks is out, howz about some Squamish soil?

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:19 a.m.

Was driving up to Whistler. Some idiot tossed a cigarette out of the window driving up 99. Never did catch up to them.

Aug. 2, 2003, 10:19 a.m.

jesus..i can only imagine how it would feel to either SEE your house being burnt to a crisp, or KNOW that it will burnt in short order, and that you will lose everything.

Aug. 2, 2003, 11:18 a.m.

NOOOOO NOT ROSE HILL. DAMN I WANTED TO RIDE IT

Aug. 2, 2003, 12:09 p.m.

Originally posted by LeeLau
Was driving up to Whistler. Some idiot tossed a cigarette out of the window driving up 99. Never did catch up to them.

musta been the Zed :mad:

Aug. 2, 2003, 12:56 p.m.

Originally posted by morphine
NOOOOO NOT ROSE HILL. DAMN I WANTED TO RIDE IT

it was only a small fire.

and fire doesnt burn sand/dirt anyways

SELLING: 2003 norco sasquatch frame 210$obo PM for more info

Aug. 2, 2003, 2:18 p.m.

Is there any built up wood stuff on rose hill its all dirt right.

:fruit: HARDTAIL PRIDE :fruit:

Aug. 2, 2003, 5:10 p.m.

I went up to kamloops today, hoping to ride sun peaks (I was in Kelowna the day before and didn't hear about all the fires). I was told sunpeaks was shut down and evacuated, so I rode Rose Hill instead, I didn't run into any fire damage, or see any evidence of a fire at all, so safe to say, the fire was away from the road and the trails.

Aug. 2, 2003, 5:20 p.m.

I'm in Williams Lake - I was driving up Dog Creek road the other night for a night ride (ya-fricken-hooo) and the guy in front of me chucked a lit cigarette out his window. I followed him until he stopped and let him have it. Gee, I think there're only about 15 fires within 200kms from here. And get this…he was completely hosed!

WHat an idiot. It's amazing how stupid people can be. :rolleyes:

I'd rather be riding

Aug. 2, 2003, 5:36 p.m.

Originally posted by nickschwarzmiller
Is there any built up wood stuff on rose hill its all dirt right.

no there is a couple built up drops and a couple ladders

SELLING: 2003 norco sasquatch frame 210$obo PM for more info

Aug. 2, 2003, 5:36 p.m.

Rosehill is officially closed to recreational users. People trying to shuttle Rose are being stopped and turned away by residents. Fire ban is in full effect.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Aug. 5, 2003, 11:34 p.m.

wow I was there 2 weeks ago for the first time now this

minus signature