0%
Change between two options - Steep/Slack
0%
Other
11.1%
Total votes: 9
Aug. 7, 2018, 12:44 p.m.

Wondering two things:

1. Do you ever actually change the positions or do you set it and forget it?
  2. What positions do you frequent?

I have had a 2018 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 for about two months now, which unlike to Altitude/Instinct only has 4 positions. I had it in the slackest position up until the weekend, when I put it in the steepest position for the LOTS climb, which certainly helped as I didn't feel like I was about to break into a wheelie at any moment.

Aug. 8, 2018, 11:33 a.m.

Huh, figured half the people on here were riding RM.

Aug. 8, 2018, 4:38 p.m.

They're all out riding...

Aug. 9, 2018, 10:46 a.m.

I'm new on a 2018 Instinct ( 6 ish rides ) and i have had it in neutral for a few rides to fiddle with the shock, then stuck it in slack my last ride. I don't see myself changing it much, as it climbed fairly well in slack mode for my local trails, but i's see myself going back steeper for LOTS. 9 choices is a bit too much for me though!

Aug. 9, 2018, 12:51 p.m.

I have a 2016 Thunderbolt BC Edition and I just leave it slackish, but I am too lazy to do a lot of climbing so that works for me.

Aug. 9, 2018, 5:59 p.m.

I've had my Altitude A70 for about 2 months and just left it in the neutral position. I'm happy with the way it goes up and down. Keeping in mind that I am more an easier black (severed D, seventh) kind of rider.

Aug. 9, 2018, 10:54 p.m.

I rode my Slayer in the steepish position most of the time. Gave me a more lively bike with tons of travel. I don't really think a slacker bike is needed for 90% of the riding on the shore. I occasionally rode it in the slackish position and then once or twice in the slack position at the bike park.

Aug. 10, 2018, 8:19 p.m.

Posted by: mrraulduke

I'm new on a 2018 Instinct ( 6 ish rides ) and i have had it in neutral for a few rides to fiddle with the shock, then stuck it in slack my last ride. I don't see myself changing it much, as it climbed fairly well in slack mode for my local trails, but i's see myself going back steeper for LOTS. 9 choices is a bit too much for me though!

What was the ratio of pedal strikes in neutral vs slack?

Aug. 11, 2018, 7:34 p.m.

less, because i think the leverage is more progressive. i can run more pressure in the can and still have good suspension feel.

i think i was just having too many pedal strikes due to the fact that i have a bit of gravity, and i'm 7 years off of only riding hardtails, so suspension setup wasn't that easy first go. i have a week on Hornby, so i think i will be going back to neutral settings ... but i'll try day 1 in slack.

and i'll keep a pedal strike log to keep you up to date ;-)

Aug. 12, 2018, 7:45 a.m.

Lowest and slackest on my new Maiden!

Pedal strikes happen more than I’d like but I set and forget.

Aug. 13, 2018, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: mrraulduke

less, because i think the leverage is more progressive. i can run more pressure in the can and still have good suspension feel.

i think i was just having too many pedal strikes due to the fact that i have a bit of gravity, and i'm 7 years off of only riding hardtails, so suspension setup wasn't that easy first go. i have a week on Hornby, so i think i will be going back to neutral settings ... but i'll try day 1 in slack.

and i'll keep a pedal strike log to keep you up to date ;-)

Thanks man! lol.....

Aug. 20, 2018, 6:57 a.m.

kept the bike in slack mode. rode 7 times in 7 days. maybe 6 pedal strikes, most jut bad planning on my part, mostly at one climbing spot en route to the top. i would of clipped most pedals on that one. but then again, it's Hornby and there wasn't a lot to clip pedals on, or a lot of vert to make me want to swap it out of slack mode!

Aug. 30, 2018, 6:44 a.m.

I rented an Altitude on a trip. The bike came set up in the steepest mode. I hadn’t ridden a bike that steep in a while and was impressed with how I didn’t have to work to keep the front end tracking on climbs. The bike also felt like it would pump better.

Partway up the first climb, I moved the shock into the 3rd slackest position, with 65.3 deg HA (I wanted the slackest but the linkage was sticky to line up and the 3rd slackest was all I could wrestle it into). It felt like a different bike. I had to work quite a bit harder to keep the front wheel steering on the way up.

If I owned the bike, I’d probably use the steep mode on rides with lower-grade terrain or lots of punchy ups and downs.