rockslide @ twin bridges

Feb. 2, 2016, 7:10 a.m.

There is now a multi-year plan to slowly blow up the slide. Well, enough of the slide so that fish passage can be restored. I wonder if this will be sufficient to make the original road and bridge crossing location (and Bottletop!!) viable again.

_An agreement in principle regarding a permanent mitigation method for the rockslide has been reached by Seymour Round-Table members from six levels of government including Fisheries and Oceans Canada, BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Metro Vancouver, District of North Vancouver, Squamish First Nations and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.

Northwest Hydraulic Consultants and BGC Engineering will re-shape the slide debris with scaling crews, low-velocity explosive rock-breaking and river flows. The method uses non-conventional rock breaking techniques and will require limited heavy equipment. River hydraulics will redistribute 10 000 – 20 000 m3 of material into a gradient that can be utilized by all salmon species. This method would be the safest and least disruptive to the surrounding ecosystem and will likely take between two and five years._

http://www.seymoursalmon.com/

Heard about this on CBC this afternoon.

Explosives? Forget that, lets bring back the chain gang. Put the extra scumbag criminals to work for something positive.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Feb. 2, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

Blasting proposed for Seymour rock slide
Metro looks to repair trails and build bridge

http://www.nsnews.com/news/blasting-proposed-for-seymour-rock-slide-1.2161451

Feb. 2, 2016, 3:38 p.m.

That article confirms that restoring fish passage won't likely be enough to restore the past condition. Too bad for Bottletop.

Feb. 2, 2016, 4:04 p.m.

That article confirms that restoring fish passage won't likely be enough to restore the past condition. Too bad for Bottletop.

The map linked in my post here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2906254[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=49

Shows the possibility of a trail being built parallel to the creek, intersecting with Bottletop.

Feb. 2, 2016, 7:32 p.m.

So is the area still " closed " ?

'Cause I really want to pack my canoe up there and paddle a body of water that wasn't there not long ago .

Feb. 2, 2016, 7:44 p.m.

Closed and probably even higher risk due to two winters of tree roots getting washed out.

Feb. 7, 2016, 8:04 a.m.

Wonder when they will come talk to my boss. More work for us. Be nice working up there.

Feb. 13, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

Maybe I'm missing something but why did they take out the bridge in the first place? It seems like a lot of effort and expense for no reason that is clear to me. They put up a fence to keep people out, why take the bridge out? That was a good steel bridge on solid concrete foundations in calm fresh water so I don't see why they couldn't just leave it for a couple years while they figured out what to do and if there is a way to get the water level down. Who cares if it is occasionally partly under water during high water flow?

Feb. 13, 2016, 12:39 p.m.

Maybe I'm missing something but why did they take out the bridge in the first place? It seems like a lot of effort and expense for no reason that is clear to me. They put up a fence to keep people out, why take the bridge out? That was a good steel bridge on solid concrete foundations in calm fresh water so I don't see why they couldn't just leave it for a couple years while they figured out what to do and if there is a way to get the water level down. Who cares if it is occasionally partly under water during high water flow?

Engineer refused to sign off on the bridge after the caissons had been so far under water. possibly being undermined or stressed. Ass coverage of major league proportions.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Feb. 13, 2016, 1:43 p.m.

I think there was a shitload of debris backed up against the span which further compromised the structure .

I mean , like a real shitload . . .

Feb. 13, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

I heard that Adam West will do it for free if DNV pays for his dynamite (and cigars, Clint Eastwood style) plus BC Ferries round-trip for him and his truck on top of a case of beer (case of beer is non-negotiable).

Feb. 13, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

I think there was a shitload of debris backed up against the span which further compromised the structure .

There was a lot of debris, even after they took down the sides. The pool upstream was quite big.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 13, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

Like a fence keeps people off an unstable bridge.

Theres enough parents hiking thier kids over the eastside fence just to go see some trees that might fall on them. Darwin at his best.

Feb. 13, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

Got any pictures or links to any? I'd really like to see.

I've only seen it at low water this past summer and at that time everything looked so benign it really had me shaking my head at the decision to remove the bridge.

What was the main concern if the bridge did get washed off its foundations?

Feb. 13, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

Got any pictures or links to any? I'd really like to see.

24 pages with links and pictures right here