rockslide @ twin bridges

Feb. 6, 2015, 1:56 p.m.

And the bridge would be submerged today.

Feb. 6, 2015, 7:32 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2859637]the picture I took this morning around 10am. It is at the creek that is just south of the closed section on the google map above… only about 15 feet down from Fisherman's and you'll hit water. The entire forest is under water in that picture (hard to tell from my crapping photo skills)

Nice photo. That's a lot of water.

Seymour Falls receives as much or more precipitation turn any other area in Canada. They've recorded 1.5 meters of rain in a single month. The whole catchment area pulls in a lot of water.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 8, 2015, 2:08 p.m.

You can see the cable from the old manual cable car floating in the trees on the bank.

That was Jan 15.

This is today.

April 28, 2015, 1:50 p.m.

A Metro Vancouver report on the rockslide and status re: future bridge replacement can be found buried in here:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards/Utilities/UC-Apr_30_2015-Agenda.pdf

Search for "status update" to find the report

April 28, 2015, 3:58 p.m.

It's section 5.3

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 28, 2015, 7:46 p.m.

In a nutshell, there is consideration being given to another recreational crossing. Sounds like a long term thing, and in the interim the pipe bridge at the top of riverside is it. Perhaps some fundraising from user groups is in order, in the future.

There is also a decent summary of the event and impacts. You need to go to the actual appended report to the agenda.

April 28, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

In a nutshell, there is consideration being given to another recreational crossing.

in a nutshell, there is another crossing already just south of the slide, but it's a really steep set of slippery stairs into steep switchbacks that they don't want to advertise as an alternative.

April 28, 2015, 8:21 p.m.

in a nutshell, there is another crossing already just south of the slide, but it's a really steep set of slippery stairs into steep switchbacks that they don't want to advertise as an alternative.

My thoughts exactly. Such a bummer bottle top is toast was a great end to a killer Seymour decent.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 29, 2015, 11:12 a.m.

Right. Which is good, because it lends some weight to the need for a better crossing.

April 29, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

There's also an argument that an alternative exit to Bottletop should be constructed, taking the trail further south, maybe ending near the start of the BP climb.
Presumably that's all LSCR land…

April 29, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

DFO is planning to catch and truck the fish up and over the slide to the hatchery, according to the free local rag I just picked up.

April 29, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

There's also an argument that an alternative exit to Bottletop should be constructed, taking the trail further south, maybe ending near the start of the BP climb.
Presumably that's all LSCR land…

That would be great ! Unfortunately after a couple of years to work up the nuts to try the bottletop exit I finally gave it a shot last year, now I nail it 2/3 of the time ! Other 1/3, just don't go in with a good line and I chicken out.

Sad that I won't get to ride the exit, but glad that I did manage to !

Same thing happened with the old elevated ramp on stairs of dispair on BP before the replaced it with the 2 ramps. Nothing major I'm working on now, but, if I find one I'll let you know when I ride it so that you can beofre it gets replaced.

April 30, 2015, 2:59 p.m.

Email from Metro with update…
Public meeting on June 24th (details below)

SEYMOUR RIVER ROCKSLIDE UPDATE

What Happened?

In December 2014, a rockslide occurred in Seymour River Canyon, approximately one kilometre north of Riverside Drive, in the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve (LSCR). The rockslide, which partially blocked Seymour River, is made up of an estimated 50,000 cubic metres of rock – that’s enough rock to fill a 13-story apartment building. As a result of the blockage the water level upstream increased, flooding area trails and the historic Twin Bridge. For safety purposes, both part of Fisherman’s Trail (from Mystery Creek to the Twin Bridge) and Bottletop Trail were closed and the Twin Bridge was removed.

Where are we Now?

To ensure the network of trails offered in Seymour River Canyon continue to be safe and accessible for recreational users from around the region, Metro Vancouver is in the early stages of gathering input on:

a new pedestrian bridge across Seymour River
new trail connections
operational access to east side of Seymour River

Metro Vancouver recognizes the importance of the impacted trails and is committed to working closely with the community to address concerns, discuss options and identify new opportunities for the LSCR trail network in Seymour River Canyon.

What’s Next?

Metro Vancouver wants to hear from you. In June 2015, Metro Vancouver is hosting a public meeting to discuss progress, gather input, listen to feedback and answer questions. Please join us:

Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Time: 6:30 – 9:00 pm
Holiday Inn [HTML_REMOVED] Suites North Vancouver
700 Old Lillooet Road, North Vancouver, BC

RSVP: If you are interested in attending, please visit www.trailconnections.eventbrite.ca to register or call Metro Vancouver’s Information Centre at 604-432-6200.

For More Information
Visit: the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve web page
Call: Your Community Liaison Officer at 604-436-6986
Email: [email protected] with the subject line “Seymour River Canyon” to sign up for e-updates.

April 30, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

My thoughts exactly. Such a bummer bottle top is toast was a great end to a killer Seymour decent.

Any type of serious decent on Seymour is toast these days - all its good for is pedaling. LSCR and BC Parks win.

Once Cyps is killed off the big-bike days are done.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Feb. 1, 2016, 6:16 p.m.

There is now a multi-year plan to slowly blow up the slide. Well, enough of the slide so that fish passage can be restored. I wonder if this will be sufficient to make the original road and bridge crossing location (and Bottletop!!) viable again.

_An agreement in principle regarding a permanent mitigation method for the rockslide has been reached by Seymour Round-Table members from six levels of government including Fisheries and Oceans Canada, BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Metro Vancouver, District of North Vancouver, Squamish First Nations and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.

Northwest Hydraulic Consultants and BGC Engineering will re-shape the slide debris with scaling crews, low-velocity explosive rock-breaking and river flows. The method uses non-conventional rock breaking techniques and will require limited heavy equipment. River hydraulics will redistribute 10 000 – 20 000 m3 of material into a gradient that can be utilized by all salmon species. This method would be the safest and least disruptive to the surrounding ecosystem and will likely take between two and five years._

http://www.seymoursalmon.com/

Heard about this on CBC this afternoon.