rockslide @ twin bridges

Feb. 5, 2015, 2:10 p.m.

I firmly believe the bridge will go back in in the same location (with new footings) once the rock slide and "lake" have been removed. The old deck has been saved and will be re-used. Yes the lake is going. The Seymour Salmonid Society, Metro Van, BC and Fed governments have poured waaaay to much $$$ into the re habilitation of the Seymour river salmon and steelhead populations to let a couple of rocks get in the way of what had, up until the slide, been an effort that was begining to yeild some truely impressive results. The slide all but blocks the movement of fish upstream to their spawning grounds and will decimate the stocks and lay waste to the great efforts of so many. The 1st step in this process has started. BC Fisheries and the DFO have/will tag 15 steelhead from the pool below the slide. These are the 1st migratory fish to encounter the barrier. When it is shown, as it is believed, that none of the fish make it past the slide, the slide is as good as toast. Figure on July/August before the Coho and Chinook begin to arrive.

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Feb. 5, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

so i guess i better get my canoe in there soon . ..

Feb. 5, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

Who would have thought, Bottletop saved by Salmon? Fish rule!

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:16 p.m.

http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime[HTML_REMOVED]stn=08GA030

She's up to 7 metres. Two days of pineapple to go.

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:15 a.m.

So they took out the bridge and the water is still high. All that work for nothing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 6, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime[HTML_REMOVED]stn=08GA030

She's up to 7 metres. Two days of pineapple to go.

Almost 9 meters this am… Somebody get down there and take a pic! I want to know if the path is under water yet.

Feb. 6, 2015, 8:11 a.m.

So they took out the bridge and the water is still high. All that work for nothing.

Huh?

Feb. 6, 2015, 8:22 a.m.

If the river is high they must be expecting a lot of rainfall in the near future and are adjusting the lake reserve.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 6, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

If the river is high they must be expecting a lot of rainfall in the near future and are adjusting the lake reserve.

Didn't someone post here they can't control water flow through the dam?

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:23 p.m.

The water level is 20' west of the fence on east side Fishermans. I'll bet Bottletop exit is under water, looking at the elevation lines.

Canoeing definitely not recommended.

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:28 p.m.

Didn't someone post here they can't control water flow through the dam?

They can to some extent, but at this time of year, when he dam impoundment is likely full, they can't.

I think the Seymour dam is primarily, if not strictly, for water supply purposes - not flood control. But it could be used for flood control in the summer in some cases. Summer isn't our problem time, though.

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

The water level is 20' west of the fence on east side Fishermans. I'll bet Bottletop exit is under water, looking at the elevation lines.

Canoeing definitely not recommended.

Is that photo looking north/west-ish from where they've blocked off east side fisherman's? (i.e. if you walk up from the end of Riverside Drive, this is what you eventually run into?)

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

I think so. Not mine.

Feb. 6, 2015, 1:27 p.m.

Is that photo looking north/west-ish from where they've blocked off east side fisherman's? (i.e. if you walk up from the end of Riverside Drive, this is what you eventually run into?)

the picture I took this morning around 10am. It is at the creek that is just south of the closed section on the google map above… only about 15 feet down from Fisherman's and you'll hit water. The entire forest is under water in that picture (hard to tell from my crapping photo skills)

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Feb. 6, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

Those are 10m elevation lines, so Bottletop is dipping her toes in the river.