rockslide @ twin bridges

Jan. 15, 2015, 1:53 p.m.

100% chance of weather Drew.

Jan. 15, 2015, 10:41 p.m.

100% chance of weather Drew.

Wait… Sven, are you saying it rains in North Vancouver? I hadn't considered that.

The bridge foundations are critical too.

Tell me more.

Maybe having a crossing at this point is done, but given the amount of pedestrian traffic it saw daily (in addition to the number of major events that cross it each year) and the way it tied together two distinct recreation areas, it seems totally defeatist not to investigate low cost options to maintain the user experience.

Obviously the current footings have been undercut and no engineer would sign off on using them, but if you aren't trying to drive heavy equipment over it (pedestrian only bridge) the scale of replacement footing/pilings needed would be much smaller anyways.

I guess I'm just a f***ing optimist.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

Maybe having a crossing at this point is done, but given the amount of pedestrian traffic it saw daily (in addition to the number of major events that cross it each year) and the way it tied together two distinct recreation areas, it seems totally defeatist not to investigate low cost options to maintain the user experience.

Obviously the current footings have been undercut and no engineer would sign off on using them, but if you aren't trying to drive heavy equipment over it (pedestrian only bridge) the scale of replacement footing/pilings needed would be much smaller anyways.

I guess I'm just a f***ing optimist.

The steel pedestiran (and horse?) bridge on lower Lynn creek near the old landfill (Inter-Rivers Park) is a good example (the deliberately-rusted steel one). The concern seems less to be the cost of a bridge, but the frequency of flooding expected and whether the east side road/trail in particular needs to be moved. I agree that user groups should start pressuring Metro Van to explore some sort of connection, be it at that location or another one.

A cable-car system (manuallly driven) is also feasible. Not sure that they're appropriate for such an urban location though.

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

You can see the cable from the old manual cable car floating in the trees on the bank.

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:25 p.m.

Do you see how close to the road the water level is? That was during a dry period over Christmas. The Seymour comes up [HTML_REMOVED]wait for it [HTML_REMOVED] feet in spring melt and rain.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/water/planning/Pages/SeymourCapilanoRiverUpdates.aspx

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

Kayakers aren't pleased either

http://liquidlore.com/bc/seymour/

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:35 p.m.

Ok that kayak site tells me I'm not going for a leisurely canoe ride there. Maybe a swim in the summer though.

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:38 p.m.

Take a look at the second to last photo about the logs that washed away in the flood of oct 2014…

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:47 p.m.

If east Fisherman's between the berm/fence (that's been put in) and Twin bridges is usable, then a raised bridge could be constructed at Twin Bridges. If that eastern section of Fisherman's isn't usable, that would make a new bridge somewhat moot.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 16, 2015, 11:22 a.m.

Possibly a really stupid observation / question…..but doesn't Baden Powell cross a bridge further down the river? Isn't it just the bridge by Bottletop that is no more? If so, what's wrong with the BP bridge? If the terrain to and from the bridge is the issue, can't this be rectified?

:windowlicker:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 16, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

Yes there is a bridge just up from the top of Riverside Drive. The West side has a set of stairs that are closer to a ladder than stairs. Above those stairs is rideable coming down but you're pushing most of the way up. Nothing wrong with that either. I've ridden down that for years. Only gone up it once or twice. I fell down those stairs once when it was frosty. Pretty sure that was one of the times I went back up because I had broken my saddle off and I was hurting.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 16, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

those kayak pics look terrifying.

Jan. 16, 2015, 12:18 p.m.

those kayak pics look terrifying.

No kidding.

The BP stairs on west side are pretty much up the side of a canyon wall. Big time reroute of the BP to the south would have to happen to make it a pleasant push up.

Jan. 16, 2015, 12:30 p.m.

You can see the cable from the old manual cable car floating in the trees on the bank.

That cable car, I believe, was part of the river gauging station that (used to!) be there, used for workers to take manual velocity readings for calculation of flow. Meaning - not to be used by the public.

But, good evidence that one could be provided!

Jan. 16, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Cable car over the river would make for a good tourist attraction, charge a toonie per ride and the money gets used for trail work.