rockslide @ twin bridges

Jan. 13, 2015, 3:01 p.m.

Would a rope swing be an appropriate crossing as it's now a lake?

It's not even a pond, and if it wasn't for the blockage there wouldn't have been much flooding.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 13, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

Metro's idea of making it a bit tougher to ride across Twin Bridges!

My wife took this pic while she was walking the dog on the west side of Twin Bridges.

Jan. 13, 2015, 10:19 p.m.

Metro's idea of making it a bit tougher to ride across Twin Bridges!

My wife took this pic while she was walking the dog on the west side of Twin Bridges.

awesome! some new skinnies to ride across a river, tons of fun!

thank-you metro!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 13, 2015, 11:43 p.m.

awesome! some new skinnies to ride across a river, tons of fun!

thank-you metro!

Thats really interesting to see. I am no engineer . ( just a lowly carpenter.) but I wounder if Metro Van can reuse the concrete decking they removed or if it is just crushed for road base? further this bridge now seems even simpler to recreate , or build again a bit higher above proposed water levels??
other than the concrete bases there seemingly isn't a lot to the whole structure.

Although , I do like Syncro's idea…. Skinny up high . let the brave take the short cut across.

Jan. 14, 2015, 6:15 a.m.

thanks for posting that pic . . . certainly not what i expected to see .

i presume those four pipes are carrying water ? how are they planning to suspend / support / protect those without constructing some structure that could also be used as a crossing of some sort ?

also , the water is much lower than i was expecting after seeing the earlier pictures of the bridge . the level is more like what i had guessed it might be , given how far downstream the blockage is .

i find it interesting that your wife was able to access the site from the west side , yet on the east side they don't want anyone near the site .

Jan. 14, 2015, 8:03 a.m.

I'm reasonably sure the pipes are new and not carrying water. There were big pipes on the road a month ago when the bridge was still up, and there's no where for the water to go if it were in the pipes.

Access to the west side of Fishermans (and the west side of where the bridge used to be) is still open, unless they happen to be working at the time.

Jan. 14, 2015, 8:15 a.m.

I'm reasonably sure the pipes are new and not carrying water. There were big pipes on the road a month ago when the bridge was still up, and there's no where for the water to go if it were in the pipes.

Access to the west side of Fishermans (and the west side of where the bridge used to be) is still open, unless they happen to be working at the time.

it's highly surrising they would leave access to those pipes open like that. you'd think that with liability being what it is today that access to that area would still be blocked off. if someone tried walking across that and fell i'd think there be a lawsuit shortly to follow.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 14, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

it's highly surrising they would leave access to those pipes open like that. you'd think that with liability being what it is today that access to that area would still be blocked off. if someone tried walking across that and fell i'd think there be a lawsuit shortly to follow.

Might be temporary shoring to keep those bridge abutments there. I guess to rebuild a bridge will require a higher and therefore longer span that would go back up the hill on both sides. How much earthworks would be required for new approaches, trails and other things. That other bridge way up just below the dam is an old bridge structure that was trucked in from somewhere up the valley a while back. I think it had been stored up there a few years before they put it in place. Anyone have an old bridge they want to get rid of?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 14, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

i find it interesting that your wife was able to access the site from the west side , yet on the east side they don't want anyone near the site .

We ran down Bottle Top a week after the slide. The hazards on the east bank are real. The bank east of the trail along the river is compromised and all the large trees on it look as if they could fall over at any time. These will fall onto the trail.

Jan. 14, 2015, 8:07 p.m.

Might be temporary shoring to keep those bridge abutments there. I guess to rebuild a bridge will require a higher and therefore longer span that would go back up the hill on both sides. How much earthworks would be required for new approaches, trails and other things. That other bridge way up just below the dam is an old bridge structure that was trucked in from somewhere up the valley a while back. I think it had been stored up there a few years before they put it in place. Anyone have an old bridge they want to get rid of?

Portmann??

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Jan. 15, 2015, 7:27 a.m.

Portmann??

SWEET. get the Sykorski sky crane and drop in a hunk of that in there.

Jan. 15, 2015, 8:08 a.m.

SWEET. get the Sykorski sky crane and drop in a hunk of that in there.

Joking aside, how about just dropping in the kind of (pedestrian only) slab bridges they use highway crossings?

If there is a risk of water rising again they can just pop it out until the threat subsides.

Even doing a bailey bridge big enough to support foot traffic and maybe the Search[HTML_REMOVED]Rescue and MetroVan side-by-sides can't be that expensive and would again be removable.

100%

No engineer in his right mind would sign off on a flooded bridge that has its footings that were designed to be above water eroding under water with an access road that will flood during spring thaw and heavy rains.

I get this if the new reality is yearly road flooding, but is that really the case? I guess it will be interesting to see how high the water gets in spring.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 15, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

what has to happen before they declare the area safe ?

I really wanna put my canoe in there and explore the new shoreline .

Jan. 15, 2015, noon

Joking aside, how about just dropping in the kind of (pedestrian only) slab bridges they use highway crossings?

If there is a risk of water rising again they can just pop it out until the threat subsides.

Even doing a bailey bridge big enough to support foot traffic and maybe the Search[HTML_REMOVED]Rescue and MetroVan side-by-sides can't be that expensive and would again be removable.

I get this if the new reality is yearly road flooding, but is that really the case? I guess it will be interesting to see how high the water gets in spring.

The bridge foundations are critical too. Even if removing a span for high water was feasible, would high water undermine those foundations or will they have to be founded deep to bedrock to withstand predicted water levels and at what cost? Need to replace that Keith Road bridge first eh. Why did that last bridge exist anyway? Just for cyclists and pedestrians?

Jan. 15, 2015, 12:04 p.m.

Anyone have an old bridge they want to get rid of?

Easy way to find out. Take some information on low-risk, guaranteed high-return investments to a financial adviser, and when they say "If you think that is for real, there's a bridge I can sell you … ", done!