rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 28, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

went and had a closer look today . . . didn't actually see the level of the water below the blockage but there is a hell of a lot of material blocking the canyon . i'm trying to get a feel for how high the dam is , for it to be holding water all the way upstream past the twin bridges .

has anyone heard what the plan is for the area ?

i really want to put a boat in that lake . there certainly doesn't seem to be any threat of the blockage spontaneously letting go .

Dec. 28, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

I road down to the west side. The guy from Metro said the existing bridge will not be certified by engineers so the bridge will not be re-opened.

The water slows down a lot just north of the bridge.

Fishermans west is fine, and according to the guy there the east side is OK.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 29, 2014, 8:32 a.m.

thanks switch . . . did you get any indication from the guy about the future of the area / blockage ?

Dec. 29, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

Nothing about any cleanup.

The dam was spilling a lot of water as it had rained heavily the night before (level at Spur 4 bridge was highest I've seen, and level at the Parkway bridge was quite high). The water level at Twin Bridges was maybe 8 to 10 feet below the bridge.

I would guess that there may be concern that any blasting the blockage could cause additional slides.

Strange that they will not fix the crossing. I did a loop around Fisherman's and there were a lot of bikers, runners, and hikers on the trail.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 29, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

well i wonder what will have to happen before they give an " all clear " for the area ?

some kind of remediation , or just the passage of time ?

Dec. 29, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

This update from NSMBA (which is probably linked to above somewhere) contains good info.

Sustainable will be around forever.

Dec. 29, 2014, 1:50 p.m.

now that LSCR is busy dealing with this river wreck, maybe we can go out and cut some much needed new lines on Seymour….or resurrect a few shut down ones.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Jan. 13, 2015, 2:04 a.m.

I went and had a look at the slide. Pictures do not reflect at all the size of it. A good sized section of the side of the canyon slid off. Pretty amazing site.

Anyway, since they are removing the existing bridge, I hope they'll consider putting a new one in. Doesn't have to handle vehicle traffic. Something like the foot bridge they put in right below the dam would be perfect.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Jan. 13, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

Does anyone else besides me think that Metro Van has gone way overboard with the decommissioning of fisherman's and bottletop? They have done far more damage and created a bigger hazard by digging up the culverts and piling logs on the trail than the flooding caused. The trails are well above water level for most of the year. Some of the trees were underwater during the flood and may be at risk of falling but that can be dealt with pretty easily. In my opinion the decisions made in reaction to the flooding were not given enough thought and seem to be driven mostly by liability concerns.

Jan. 13, 2015, 12:54 p.m.

seem to be driven mostly by liability concerns.

100%

No engineer in his right mind would sign off on a flooded bridge that has its footings that were designed to be above water eroding under water with an access road that will flood during spring thaw and heavy rains.

Jan. 13, 2015, 12:58 p.m.

I went and had a look at the slide. Pictures do not reflect at all the size of it. A good sized section of the side of the canyon slid off. Pretty amazing site.

ya i went down the hyannis climb and was surprised that the rockslide is right there at the bottom

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 13, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

100%

No engineer in his right mind would sign off on a flooded bridge that has its footings that were designed to be above water eroding under water with an access road that will flood during spring thaw and heavy rains.

Phhffffttt, engineers.

why doesn't metro van just talk to some of the people on this forum.
I am sure that will put metro's liability concerns at ease.

Jan. 13, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

For sure. What would Zedbra do?

Jan. 13, 2015, 2:18 p.m.

Would a rope swing be an appropriate crossing as it's now a lake?

Jan. 13, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

Tyrolean traverse.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.