rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 13, 2014, 6:04 p.m.

The E-Bikers could have Ned's, Pangor, and Salvation (re-named "Charge Station" for the quick charger we'd install at the powerline tower nearest the exit).

nice to have you back drew.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 13, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

Some hard facts about the Seymour River Rockslide:

In a 1 in 10 year flood event, the existing bridge at Twin Bridges would be under 4m of water. The bridge will be removed in the very near future. There are no short term (3-5 years)and probably no long term options for a new major crossing at this location.

The Fisherman's Trail will be decommissioned between Twin Bridges and Mystery Creek Trail. There are thousands of trees along the edge of the trail that are currently underwater, many are already falling down. All of these trees will die in the next two years and they will take most of Fisherman's Trail with them. Metro Vancouver is being proactive to decommission the trail for safety considerations (danger tree hazards).

In a 1 and 50 year flood event, the exit of the Bottletop trail would be under 4m of water. The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today. This trail is low on the list of Metro Vancouver's worries right now and if people continue to use it and cause frustration for Metro, they will decommission the entire trail immediately. If people stay off the trail, then there will be an opportunity to work with the NSMBA to reroute the bottom section of the trail to meet up with the Mystery Creek trail at Fisherman's. Bottom line: Don't ride Bottletop or we will loose it permanently.

The Ministry of Environment and Department of Fisheries and Oceans will be meeting with Metro as soon as possible to discuss that fact that fish will be knocking on the door in a few months and they have no where to go.

This is a shocking change to the landscape, and we have lost a critical connection across the Seymour river that has been there since 1908.

Link to my Facebook page to discuss, if you like that kind of thing.

this is worthy of a front page article explaining the situation.

Dec. 13, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

Need to get a heli logging co to get in there and clear up the swimming hole.

Before July.

Or at least before the next election. ;)

Our swimming hole is still good. It's at the start of the lake.

Dec. 13, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

The salmon from the hatchery are released at Lighthouse Park. To many were dying before they passed Stanley Park.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Dec. 13, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

Whenever they decide to replace the bridge it should be guarded and resemble this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0tCphFMr8

Shed head!

Dec. 13, 2014, 11:53 p.m.

Whenever they decide to replace the bridge it should be guarded and resemble this.

I totally agree that a suspension bridge is a great idea, but that particular model doesn't appear to conform to the "Whistler" or "TAP" standard?!

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 14, 2014, 12:22 a.m.

That bridge is very popular and used a lot by hikers, wallets, cyclists, and runners. I often ride Hyannis to Twin Bridges and up to the demo forest or down Fisherman's. There is always a fair bit of traffic.

It would be a real disappointment for a lot of people if the bridge couldn't be "repaired" and the affected east side of the road cleaned up.

Can't the district hire Jeremy to go in with his rock splitter and clear the blockage? :P

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 14, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

It would be a real disappointment for a lot of people if the bridge couldn't be "repaired" and the affected east side of the road cleaned :P

Considering it takes years, if not decades, to get a bridge implemented in our road system, and Metro just upgraded this on seismically, I can bet there's no budget to rebuild and certainly no emergency funds available to make a few disappointed hikers and bikers happy in the bush. The bridge is not needed for road service access as a 5 minute drive gets you to either access point on both sides of the river.

We will need to learn to swim.

Dec. 14, 2014, 8:56 a.m.

Although a trail up to spur 4 bridge from mid bottle top is the way to go.

Dec. 14, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

"Likes"

Dec. 14, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

How about one of these:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 14, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

Army engineers could drop a pedestrian bridge in there in a couple of days all we need is the political will and to push the politician away from the feeding trough long enough to actually do something other then sign developers permits.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 14, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

Lower Lake Seymour. I love looking at the names of lakes up north. Funny names sometimes. Soab lake is where the mine is in Thompson Manitoba. Son of a bitch. Tarfu and Snafu lakes are on the way in to Atlin. I've seen Toesin Lake and Assin Lake. I worked at Isok lake. People thought it was a First Nations name. Nope. Pilot marked the lake Is OK on the map because the ice was thick enough to land a ski plane on. The next lake was called Isnogood.

I alwys liked Gin and Tonic lake up in Whistler!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 14, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

Already been mentioned by clarkee, Oldfart and me.
OP post # 156 in this thread.
See also post # 173 and 178 in this thread.

If enough people are interested in this "crazy" idea, I'll start a new thread about it.

Dec. 14, 2014, 4:23 p.m.

Circuit 8 is open again. Some hikers came up from fishermans into circuit 8 and said water level back down..