rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

I don't think you're fully aware of the extent of this slide. There's one piece of rock as big as a house. It's a hard to access, steep-sided gully. There is no easy (meaning cheap) fix.

hmm…CF-18 vertical drop of a laser guided GBU-16 Paveway II should solve the problem. And would provide valuable training to a RCAF pilot.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

I don't think you're fully aware of the extent of this slide. There's one piece of rock as big as a house. It's a hard to access, steep-sided gully. There is no easy (meaning cheap) fix.

I am fully aware. As i said above, at least there is a dam above to throttle river flow, which opens up options for clearing it. But certainly not cheap, and lots of moving parts to a solution such as water supply, fisheries, etc. Probably the financial justification would be the need for the access road, access could be built cheaper with a new short bridge at the top of Riverside Drive.

Armchair engineering is fun!

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:48 p.m.

hmm…CF-18 vertical drop of a laser guided GBU-16 Paveway II should solve the problem. And would provide valuable training to a RCAF pilot.

Dec. 10, 2014, 11:11 p.m.

If Gooch was around we could have him solve the problem.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 10, 2014, 11:47 p.m.

Hopefully some of the slide will naturally dislodge with all this extra water, I don't mean flood but rather just a little more flow to save the bridge and Bottletop.

Dec. 11, 2014, 7:40 a.m.

I am fully aware. As i said above, at least there is a dam above to throttle river flow, which opens up options for clearing it.

What's your solution for 'throttling' a dam that is full to the overflows, O wise one?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 11, 2014, 7:49 a.m.

Probably the financial justification would be the need for the access road, access could be built cheaper with a new short bridge at the top of Riverside Drive.

Don't think so. There is no road access on the west side of the river anywhere near the top of Riverside and the slope is far too steep to build a road at a reasonable cost.

Dec. 11, 2014, 7:53 a.m.

What's your solution for 'throttling' a dam that is full to the overflows, O wise one?

I'm not an engineer… But I would probably wait until the dam is less full?

It would probably be around the time the height//flow of the river has subsided considerably (when it stops raining)… When I could actually fully access//assess the situation?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

Duh. Pump the water back to the other side of the dam.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

The dam will not be "less full" until next July, or possibly even August.

Dec. 11, 2014, 9 a.m.

Clouseau: I'LL stand on YOUR shoulders
Kato: Why?
Clouseau: Because I'm taller than you are - you fewl!

Dec. 11, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

The dam will not be "less full" until next July, or possibly even August.

Then I guess that is when they will work on clearing the blockage and assessing the integrity of what is left of Twin Bridges?

I don't think anyone is thinking it isn't a multi-year project?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 11, 2014, 9:16 a.m.

There's one piece of rock as big as a house.

They should put it on the market, list it on MLS, sell it to a foreign investor sight unseen and put the proceeds towards remediation of river's flow. Its Win-Win! Are you paying attention Councillor Bond?

Exactly my thought. But after opening the floodgates to let some water out to make some room for the pumped water.

Probably the financial justification would be the need for the access road, access could be built cheaper with a new short bridge at the top of Riverside Drive.

There is already a bridge at the top of Riverside drive. Only problem is that there is no service road anywhere near it on the Eastward side .

Dec. 11, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

Then I guess that is when they will work on clearing the blockage and assessing the integrity of what is left of Twin Bridges?

I don't think anyone is thinking it isn't a multi-year project?

Is anyone thinking this is less than a $50 million project? Does anyone think it's worth the cost?

Dec. 11, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

I'm loving the new swimming hole. Once it settles, I guarantee they'll just accept it as is.

Nature happens.