rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:09 p.m.

Seeing images from Cumberland and Courtney- Oyster and the water is just as high.

More rain tomorrow with a Kin Tide. Vancouver crews are apparently sand bagging Jericho Beach. Think that is a first.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-storm-puts-courtenay-delta-in-state-of-emergency-thousands-without-power-1.2865656

Stay safe everyone.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

Wow. I wouldn't be anywhere near the river lower than the rock fall. Good luck to the people who live alongside the river.

yeah, considering how narrow the canyon is below the slide and then widens out after that if the water lets go it's going to be awfully damn (ha!) violent. there's a huge amount of energy stored up behind that slide that the lower channel is probably not equipped to handle. even if this current situation passes, the authorities will no doubt have to deal with the blockage at some time.

can you imagine what this would be like in the spring with spring melt run-off and some heavy rains to boot?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

can you imagine what this would be like in the spring with spring melt run-off and some heavy rains to boot?

Yeah…funny you mention heavy rains….

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

I'm guessing a lot of Fishermans north of the Twin is submerged. What about the new road they were strangely building on Fishermans, what on earth was that going to access? what a waste of money.

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:41 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how they would handle it if it a slide like that happens again in the next say 10 - 20 years….

I bet they blast it right away next time…. especially if the worst case scenario happens soon. At this point I think Twin Bridges is likely a loss. At best it will need repair well into next year.

I hope all of the homes and businesses below the slide are able to stay safe.

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:48 p.m.

I'm guessing a lot of Fishermans north of the Twin is submerged. What about the new road they were strangely building on Fishermans, what on earth was that going to access? what a waste of money.

There is another bridge above twin bridges, which give access to the east side of the river and lake above the dam. If you've never been all the way up, there's another crossing at the dam (bikes and pedestrian), that will loop back to the demo forest paved road

Kinda curious to what's going on up there right now….

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:02 p.m.

There is another bridge above twin bridges, which give access to the east side of the river and lake above the dam. If you've never been all the way up, there's another crossing at the dam (bikes and pedestrian), that will loop back to the demo forest paved road

It's pretty wide up there that bridge may be ok, I think it's called Spur.

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:12 p.m.

FYI:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks_lscr/lscr/Pages/default.aspx

Due to a rockslide in the Seymour River, expect extensive trail closures in the following areas:
Fisherman’s Trail, Homestead Trail, Twin Bridges Trail, Riverside Drive, Hyannis Point, Circuit 8, Incline Trail and east side trail network.

Circuit 8? Makes no sense..

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

It's pretty wide up there that bridge may be ok, I think it's called Spur.

spur 4 I think

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:25 p.m.

Metro Vancouver and DNV say the slide debris is stable and that flooding is unlikely.

Dec. 9, 2014, 10 p.m.

Circuit 8? Makes no sense..

Cutting off all access points

Dec. 10, 2014, 4:18 a.m.

Cutting all access points and proactively preventing anyone from being part of another possible slide. Circuit 8 is build over a steep embankment several hundred fett above the now flooding river.

Dec. 10, 2014, 7:14 a.m.

Metro Vancouver and DNV say the slide debris is stable and that flooding is unlikely.

Natures proved man wrong time and time again

Dec. 10, 2014, 7:42 a.m.

Talked to somebody who saw a video of a friend trying to ride the Spur bridge on Sunday, before the rain, it was about knee deep on the bike at that point already.

Dec. 10, 2014, 8:16 a.m.

This really sucks . Nothing we can do at the moment . I am just a mouth breathing carpenter not a hydrologist or fancy engineer . But i assume any parts of fishermans trail that ends up underwater will be lost with a sudden break in that new fallen rock damn down stream. That is to say with the suction, and torrent pulling the trail off the side of the bank?
We can work to rebuild a trail , but damn those residents living down stream from pool 99 must just be beside themselves .
Further speculation , any loss of homes next to the river could result in no resident being allowed to continue to live on the banks of the river after potential clean up.

It would be interesting to see how this looks today . The old cable/shingle bolt pool upstream ( rock tunnel)