rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 8, 2014, 9:59 p.m.

FYI:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks_lscr/lscr/Pages/default.aspx

Due to a rockslide in the Seymour River, expect extensive trail closures in the following areas:
Fisherman’s Trail, Homestead Trail, Twin Bridges Trail, Riverside Drive, Hyannis Point, Circuit 8, Incline Trail and east side trail network.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Dec. 8, 2014, 10:18 p.m.

Yes, it was a bit of a surprise finding Hyannis heavily blocked off this afternoon at the end of my ride, as I didn't start the ride at that particular trailhead…. Had to double back and ride a 'sticked' trail in order to get on to the BP and back down to the road.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 8, 2014, 11:26 p.m.

Did you see this? It has been on TV a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZSj99kz04

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/17/newsid_3623000/3623223.stm

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

I'm no hydrologist (even though I play on one the Interwebz), but I can't see them blasting the rocks away while there is that much water behind the fall. It would send a wall of water down the Seymour. Maybe make some little culverts in the more stable areas of the debris to allow the backlog to drain faster and blast away when the levels have subsided to a managable level. Trail closures are a small inconvenience to the rest of us. People living along Riverside Drive can't be sleeping too well these nights (again!). The rockfall and heavy rains seem to have been a Murphy's Law series of events.

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

I'm no hydrologist (even though I play on one the Interwebz), but I can't see them blasting the rocks away while there is that much water behind the fall. It would send a wall of water down the Seymour. Maybe make some little culverts in the more stable areas of the debris to allow the backlog to drain faster and blast away when the levels have subsided to a managable level. Trail closures are a small inconvenience to the rest of us. People living along Riverside Drive can't be sleeping too well these nights (again!). The rockfall and heavy rains seem to have been a Murphy's Law series of events.

Whatever Captain Serious.

Blast that shit out we want excitement. Dambuster FTW.

Dec. 9, 2014, 10:44 a.m.

^i like how you think.

Dec. 9, 2014, 11:23 a.m.

Rode by the river today (lower bridge on Dollarton) and I've never seen the it higher. Looked scary high…will be interesting to see how the rock dam holds with that volume of water.
If I lived on Riverside Drive, I'd have a bag packed just in case.

They're going to have to do something though, as its a hatchery river (especially important for the small Steelhead population). I don't think they'll let the river go dry then blast it, but they'll need to do something, as the dam now makes fish passage impossible.

Dec. 9, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

Rode by the river today (lower bridge on Dollarton) and I've never seen the it higher. Looked scary high…will be interesting to see how the rock dam holds with that volume of water.
If I lived on Riverside Drive, I'd have a bag packed just in case.

I wonder what would happen if the Mt Seymour and Dollarton bridges got swept away. NVEoS (that's local speak for "North Vancouver East of Seymour") would be cut off. Only land access to civilization could be the Baden Powell Trail! (Assuming the water in the gorge can't rise high enough to take out the pipeline bridge at the top of Riverside). Its gonna mean oldschool survival, like being reduced to relying Safeway instead of SuperStore.

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:05 p.m.

stock up on beer before shit goes crazy!

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

like being reduced to relying Safeway instead of SuperStore.

the horror. wait, that's the only two options for groceries out there? scratch that off the list of places i'd want to live.

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:23 p.m.

While you're shopping for groceries, I'll be shredding brown pow.

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

While you're shopping for groceries, I'll be shredding brown pow.

:woot:

Dec. 9, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

the horror. wait, that's the only two options for groceries out there? scratch that off the list of places i'd want to live.

There was a Supervalue that is becoming a Nestor's. NVEoS isn't that big. The total population could fit into BC Place (around 60,000). Besides, we're full up and not taking anymore people (for which the acronym is LSCDP).

Dec. 9, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

you could use the grantham str bridge. What's up with that weird shitty old landscaping building? When was that last a functioning building?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 9, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

Pretty sure Grantham goes before and definitely with Seymour and Dollarton.