rockslide @ twin bridges

Dec. 12, 2014, 6:45 p.m.

To easy. We are going for Cypress-Fromme-Seymour Peak2Peak2Peak. 0.05 percent adder to the PST should cover it.

For an even .1% do you think we could add on Eagle and Burke?

E-Bike awareness campaign?

For $50million I think I could hire enough trail crews that it wouldn't be a problem.

The E-Bikers could have Ned's, Pangor, and Salvation (re-named "Charge Station" for the quick charger we'd install at the powerline tower nearest the exit).

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 12, 2014, 7:19 p.m.

The E-Bikers could have Ned's, Pangor, and Salvation (re-named "Charge Station" for the quick charger we'd install at the powerline tower nearest the exit).

lol

Dec. 12, 2014, 9 p.m.

Can't use "Lake Seymour" since the Seymour Lake name is already taken by reservoir behind the dam.
https://goo.gl/maps/gZWfN

The guy from Metro is suggesting Boulder Lake.

Lower Lake Seymour. I love looking at the names of lakes up north. Funny names sometimes. Soab lake is where the mine is in Thompson Manitoba. Son of a bitch. Tarfu and Snafu lakes are on the way in to Atlin. I've seen Toesin Lake and Assin Lake. I worked at Isok lake. People thought it was a First Nations name. Nope. Pilot marked the lake Is OK on the map because the ice was thick enough to land a ski plane on. The next lake was called Isnogood.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 12, 2014, 9:31 p.m.

So, that trail work done last year on Bottletop, to circumvent the ground water seepage….where exactly was the run-off diverted to???

;-)

Dec. 12, 2014, 10:02 p.m.

So, that trail work done last year on Bottletop, to circumvent the ground water seepage….where exactly was the run-off diverted to???

;-)

The ground water from Bottletop totally caused the rock and land slide…on the west side of the river.

Dec. 12, 2014, 11:09 p.m.

Some kind of crazy yet to be built trail into the demo forest on the east side of the seymour river to the spur 4 bridge?

Not that crazy. A few years ago I went to the end of this road (Suicide Branch) leading south from the Spur 4 Bridge. And then continued south looking for a trail or skid trail. And soon found evidence of a trail going south. But then lost it / ran out of time.

And on another trip was able to follow an old trail on the east side of Seymour River from the late Twin Bridges to the Spur 4 bridge. But likely that faint trail is now gone, washed out by the recent high water, like the Fisherman's Trail.

There are lots of old skid roads south and east of the end of the Suicide Branch. Would it be possible to build a trail to connect to the current trails south of Boulder Creek? Yes, but it would take time to find a good route, and good crossings of Semlin and Boulder Creeks. Bridges would be needed over both of these creeks.

And permission from LSCR staff for any major trail work.

Dec. 13, 2014, 8:25 a.m.

OK … they can get past the Cap dam, for sure, then. Otherwise my comment should be edited to "I guess they're screwed".

The Cap hatchery is below or to say downstream from Cleveland Dam . no fish get through the dam on the Cap .

Dec. 13, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Not that crazy. A few years ago I went to the end of this road (Suicide Branch) leading south from the Spur 4 Bridge. And then continued south looking for a trail or skid trail. And soon found evidence of a trail going south. But then lost it / ran out of time.

And on another trip was able to follow an old trail on the east side of Seymour River from the late Twin Bridges to the Spur 4 bridge. But likely that faint trail is now gone, washed out by the recent high water, like the Fisherman's Trail.

There are lots of old skid roads south and east of the end of the Suicide Branch. Would it be possible to build a trail to connect to the current trails south of Boulder Creek? Yes, but it would take time to find a good route, and good crossings of Semlin and Boulder Creeks. Bridges would be needed over both of these creeks.

And permission from LSCR staff for any major trail work.

I followed that faint trail North from Lizzard Lakes. Those are the two ponds you can see below Bottletop to the right as you first descend that trail. It would be very challenging to push through as the terrain becomes very steep and rocky. It was quite a few years back but if I remember, you run into cliffs before too long.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 13, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

There was work done on Twin Bridges only a few years ago.

Looks like Lillooet Road will get a lot more MTB traffic.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 13, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

Way too soon to say that. Tons of people use that interface to join the demo forest to Mt. Seymour and, just like the demo forest paved-10km, there will be significant pressure to re-open Fishermans.

It is also used for LSCR/Metrovan vehicles to tie together their responsibilities.

If the pillars are fine it won't be that expensive to fix?

Nope it wasn't…

Dec. 13, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

Nope it wasn't…

They haven't assessed the integrity, but rather have decided to get the span beams out of there as they create a snag risk given the new operating stage range of the river, and could themselves create more problems were they ripped from the abutments - easier to lift them out now.

If it has truly been decided to do nothing, then the bridge is no longer useful as a bridge and is just a hazard.

Abutments could be OK.

Dec. 13, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

The rock slide could easily be cleared. We've dealt with far bigger river/creek diversions due to slides in bc. And while this may be big for the North shore, many bigger slides happen all over bc that are dealt with and managed. Once the water drops behind the slide it'll have to be cleaned up. Otherwise it's a huge liability and growing hazard. No one gives a shit about fish, they've successfully re introduced them dozens of times.

I know nothing

Dec. 13, 2014, 3:18 p.m.

I followed that faint trail North from Lizzard Lakes. Those are the two ponds you can see below Bottletop to the right as you first descend that trail. It would be very challenging to push through as the terrain becomes very steep and rocky. It was quite a few years back but if I remember, you run into cliffs before too long.

Just east of the Lizard Lakes there's an old road I forget the name of (if it has a name). A couple of the bike trails come down to it. But it continues north, maybe as far as Boulder Creek. If a new trail was built as I suggest, that would likely be the south end of it.
The http://nsmba.ca/mount-seymour map shows it as "Connector to Bottletop" but only part of is is shown on the map.
(An error on this map is seen if you enlarge it: TNT trail is shown going west to this Connector, but that is not the TNT trail, it's one of the others I forget the name of.)

I meant that the trail I followed was beside the Seymour River. And yes there were lots of places it was difficult. But that trail is gone now with the recent flooding of the river.

I remembered one more detail about the south end of the Suicide Branch road: there was at least one new trail going southwest downhill towards the river. I never followed it. One of these days I want to go back there and see if there are any trails south from that road.

Dec. 13, 2014, 4:57 p.m.

Some hard facts about the Seymour River Rockslide:

In a 1 in 10 year flood event, the existing bridge at Twin Bridges would be under 4m of water. The bridge will be removed in the very near future. There are no short term (3-5 years)and probably no long term options for a new major crossing at this location.

The Fisherman's Trail will be decommissioned between Twin Bridges and Mystery Creek Trail. There are thousands of trees along the edge of the trail that are currently underwater, many are already falling down. All of these trees will die in the next two years and they will take most of Fisherman's Trail with them. Metro Vancouver is being proactive to decommission the trail for safety considerations (danger tree hazards).

In a 1 and 50 year flood event, the exit of the Bottletop trail would be under 4m of water. The Bottletop trail is closed indefinitely. Even though it has been signed, flagged, and taped off, people are removing the tape and riding it. Over 50 people rode it today. This trail is low on the list of Metro Vancouver's worries right now and if people continue to use it and cause frustration for Metro, they will decommission the entire trail immediately. If people stay off the trail, then there will be an opportunity to work with the NSMBA to reroute the bottom section of the trail to meet up with the Mystery Creek trail at Fisherman's. Bottom line: Don't ride Bottletop or we will loose it permanently.

The Ministry of Environment and Department of Fisheries and Oceans will be meeting with Metro as soon as possible to discuss that fact that fish will be knocking on the door in a few months and they have no where to go.

This is a shocking change to the landscape, and we have lost a critical connection across the Seymour river that has been there since 1908.

Link to my Facebook page to discuss, if you like that kind of thing.

Dec. 13, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

Need to get a heli logging co to get in there and clear up the swimming hole.

Before July.

Or at least before the next election. ;)