RIP Tim Jones

Jan. 20, 2014, 8:20 a.m.

condolences to the family..

Jan. 20, 2014, 8:24 a.m.

I live near the base of Seymour and wondered why so many emergency vehicles when screaming up the hill last night.

Very sad to hear, RIP Tim was a good man that did great work.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Jan. 20, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tim-jones-north-shore-rescue-team-leader-has-died-1.2503178

'I have only one aspiration after this and that is to pay back my wife for time lost:' Jones

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9406305

NORTH VANCOUVER - Tributes continue to pour in for North Shore Rescue leader Tim Jones, who died suddenly Sunday night on Mount Seymour.
Details on what caused the death of the well-known rescuer are not yet known, but paramedics, firefighters and police all rushed to the scene and tried in vain to save his life, according to a statement posted on the NSR Facebook site last night. He was 57.

“It is with great sadness and shock that I report that Tim Jones passed away tonight while coming down from the team cabin on Seymour,” read the statement. “Our thoughts are with his family.”

Jones, who had two children, had spoken recently about stepping down from the team.

North Vancouver City Mayor Darrell Mussatto said he was shocked to hear of Jones’ death last night by the local fire chief.
“Tim was a hero, he did things for others,” Mussatto said. “He was a dedicated hard-working individual.”

Mussatto, also a paramedic said he was trained by Jones for the job. But he added he and Jones had been good friends as well as workmates over the past 30 years. The pair had hiked the Lions together.

“I’m feeling pretty bummed out. I still can’t believe it,” he said.

North Shore Rescue had been on the mountain through the weekend teaching backcountry enthusiasts about avalanche safety. It is not clear whether he was involved in this training.

Jones, a paramedic with the North Vancouver B.C. Ambulance Service since 1982, told the Sun in 2012 that he had participated in more than 1,400 rescues in his 30-some year career. When asked why he did it - risk his life to save others - he said, “I like doing it We train to do it.”

Jones was awarded the Order of B.C. in 2011 for his work with the rescue organization, which is B.C.’s busiest team, and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree by Capilano University a year later.

During his tenure with the rescue organization, Jones advocated for the use of helicopter-based long-line rescue and an area-wide communication system, and was in talks with North Vancouver District about getting cameras on some trails.

In the ongoing debate about whether people lost on the North Shore mountains should have to pay a fee to cover some of their rescue costs, Jones said consistently that there should be no fee, arguing that a fee might cause people to hesitate in seeking help, thus further endangering themselves.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 20, 2014, 8:44 a.m.

NSR's press release.

http://www.northshorerescue.com/2014/01/20/nsr-press-release-passing-of-tim-jones/

Worth scrolling down the comments section.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 20, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

Only 57 too, really sad.

Jan. 20, 2014, 9:41 a.m.

condolences to all who knew him, always sad when we lose someone who lived to help others.

Jan. 20, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Huge loss. Condolences to his wife and family. Obviously he gave so much for NSSAR.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 20, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

complete shock when i heard the news this morning .

this will leave a mark on the ( north shore ) rescue community which will take some time to recover from .

i have had several opportunities throughout my SAR career to work with tim . i was always warmly greeted by tim as i entered the command post . despite the context of the meeting and the urgent nature , the atmosphere was more like two colleagues working together on a project , with each respecting and appreciating the individual skills that each possessed . on one occasion i was able to repay his faith in me when he deployed me and my dog in an area of high probability . after an extensive track through classic west coast river bottom underbrush , the dog and i found the subject utterly spent , but alive , after three nights and four days out .

while this represented a big moment in my working/SAR life , it was absolutely routine for tim and members of SAR groups everywhere , and particularly NSSAR .

when my dad , who was NSSAR alumni , passed away not long ago , tim contacted our family with condolences from NSSAR , underlining just how close and connected the SAR community is .

i'm sure in time a capable replacement for tim will emerge , but no one will ever hold the position the same way that tim did .

i'm really sorry he didn't live to make good on his promise to repay his wife for time lost to her . . . in retrospect , it was time well spent , and there are many people grateful he used it to do good .

Jan. 20, 2014, 10:34 a.m.

RIP Mr. Jones.
My condolences to his family and all his friends and team mates.

Jan. 20, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

R.I.P. Tim Jones.

Jan. 20, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

RIP. A true hero to the North Shore.

Erik Wyatt made an excellent suggestion on NSR's website in the comments about renaming a trail after Tim Jones. I think this is a fantastic suggestion. He recommended the Baden Powell. I know there are a lot of great trails that would suit the situation though. Possibly Old Buck - Perimeter - Goldie Loop - Ole's Pass could all be amalgamated in some way into one giant loop that is called the "Tim Jones Memorial Trail".

Jan. 20, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

Was also thinking a ghost bike could maybe be put somewhere for him. Not quite the same circumstances as usual for one, but I think it seems fitting for some reason.

I really like the idea of naming a trail though. Especially an all use one, since he helped all types of outdoor enthusiasts.

Jan. 20, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Friday a group of us went up Seymour to remember another SAR member who was tragically killed a year ago. Two huge losses for the SAR community. Big shoes to fill all along the North Shore.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 20, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

RIP, way to young.

Jan. 20, 2014, 4:43 p.m.

NSR's press release.

http://www.northshorerescue.com/2014/01/20/nsr-press-release-passing-of-tim-jones/

Worth scrolling down the comments section.

some really great words in there

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.