Riding vs Pushing up Fromme

Feb. 27, 2011, 11:49 a.m.

nobody is so busy that on 4 out of 7 days per week they couldn't find 10-15 minutes two times over the course of the day to do some exercise. if you can't you're just lying to yourself.

I really have to agree to Syncro here.

Basically it is all about being honest to yourself. If you say you want to be fit, but cannot find the time, either work harder, and find the time, or stop having a goal that you cannot accomplish.

And about the debate whether to ride or push up Mount Fromme….well, my opinion right now is that it is all about what you want to achieve - if you want to improve your level of fitness, start riding parts of the road, if you are happy just because you are in the forest and out of the office, and you do not have the goal of being able to ride up one day, heck, you are outside, push a bike and will have a blast riding it down beautiful trails.
In the end, you should be happy with your decisions, who should care about your choice? No one but you.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 27, 2011, 11:51 a.m.

… i would say that walking your bike up fromme is getting some exercise.

?????

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 27, 2011, 12:23 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]/thread[HTML_REMOVED]

transition bikes

Feb. 27, 2011, 5:02 p.m.

a lot of people will find this harsh, but the time excuse is the one i hear the most - there really is no excuse for not being reasonably fit. of couse i'm not going to include people who are ill with cancer or some other disease/affliction, but the whole 'i don't have enough time thing' is just a bs excuse to keep one's ass parked. sure i may get labeled a fitness nazi because of it, so be it.

the funny thing is that i am not super fit, i don't go out and run a marathon each week, and i don't have sub 10% bodyfat, but i do perscibe to maintaining what i believe to be a minimum standard or decent level of fitness. and that standard is not extremely high, it is something that is achievable by nearly everyone. i train a woman who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair, but she comes in to exercise on a regular basis and does what she can to maintain and improve her health.

nobody is so busy that on 4 out of 7 days per week they couldn't find 10-15 minutes two times over the course of the day to do some exercise. if you can't you're just lying to yourself.

with my rant over, i would say that walking your bike up fromme is getting some exercise.

No I don't think that's harsh, it's a good point. I'm actually in pretty good shape, I like to get out as much as I can but I know lots of folks that don't see it as important and are just happy being out there. I do Jeep tours here and I get the most lazy of the lazy, they can't believe what they are seeing when a mountain biker or a hiker cruises on by. It's like they never get out so when I see someone pushing a bike around or at least out there trying I have something MUCH more different to compare them to.

BTW, Syncro, I have been lurking around here for some time now and your trail work is flipping amazing! Thanks for the inspiration as well as all the other builders on here. I can't get too into it being down here in the states but lets just say we have some common interests. As soon as some efforts go legit (it's in the process) here on the National Forest I will be sharing some of our building and new trails. Thanks again.

Feb. 27, 2011, 5:11 p.m.

What if you walk to the first gate, then pedal from there?

This was more the argument I expected. I knew more people who rode up from the gate. However they would eiher walk or ride up Mtn Highway to the gate depending on their energy and mindset that day.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2011, 5:44 p.m.

I don't mean to kick the hornets nest however I am a bit curious. Do those that push uphill do multiple laps?

What is the total time commitment for multiple walking laps? I know how long it takes to go up and down most of the trails on foot(no bike) but I have never not pedaled my way up Mtn Hwy so have no idea how long it would take to get to Ladies/Pipeline let alone 7th from the gate. Sessioning Bobsled doesn't count in my mind however if one was to do a lap up Bobsled are they likely to do something else higher up as a second lap?

Feb. 27, 2011, 6:59 p.m.

I don't mean to kick the hornets nest however I am a bit curious. Do those that push uphill do multiple laps?

What is the total time commitment for multiple walking laps? I know how long it takes to go up and down most of the trails on foot(no bike) but I have never not pedaled my way up Mtn Hwy so have no idea how long it would take to get to Ladies/Pipeline let alone 7th from the gate. Sessioning Bobsled doesn't count in my mind however if one was to do a lap up Bobsled are they likely to do something else higher up as a second lap?

Takes anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on what gear you're pushing. The Cove guys in last year's Excellent Adventure did 5 laps in 3:29:21 (which is pretty amazing I might add). Our team did it in 4:41:50 (injury repair, mechanicals, and a general desire just to have fun). I definitely plan on beating that time this year. Climbing Fromme (or any mountain for that matter) can be fun if your mind is into it, once your mind in ok then your body will follow. It might take time (I remember the first time I pedalled up Fromme in 2000 I almost puked) but if you try and want to, the climb becomes second nature as your fitness level increases. Do it if you want to that's all I have to say.

Shed head!

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:06 p.m.

I feel like a jerk for saying it but I agree with Synchro. If youare going to drop $$$ on a nice bike and its not a full on DH bike and you can't ride up to at least Pipeline on Fromme maybe the next big performance upgrade should be on yourself. A minimal level of fitness with radically change your ride experience, more than any purchase.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:07 p.m.

Takes anywhere from 25-40 minutes depending on what gear you're pushing. The Cove guys in last year's Excellent Adventure did 5 laps in 3:29:21 (which is pretty amazing I might add). Our team did it in 4:41:50 (injury repair, mechanicals, and a general desire just to have fun). I definitely plan on beating that time this year. Climbing Fromme (or any mountain for that matter) can be fun if your mind is into it, once your mind in ok then your body will follow. It might take time (I remember the first time I pedalled up Fromme in 2000 I almost puked) but if you try and want to, the climb becomes second nature as your fitness level increases. Do it if you want to that's all I have to say.

They are wondering how long it takes to walk up.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:17 p.m.

Haha. the double negative "never not pedalled up" got me. Thanks. In that case, walking all the way to 7th? Probably an hour+.

Shed head!

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:31 p.m.

I feel like a jerk for saying it but I agree with Synchro. If youare going to drop $$$ on a nice bike and its not a full on DH bike and you can't ride up to at least Pipeline on Fromme maybe the next big performance upgrade should be on yourself. A minimal level of fitness with radically change your ride experience, more than any purchase.

^This^^^

Fitness is a bigger factor then people realize. It's not just the "can I climb this" factor. It helps in control, balance, and so on.

There is a truth to "Don't buy upgrades.. ride up rades". If one looks at it climbing really is a form of strength training for your legs. And on the other aspect… you burn more calories at a slow pace … which means…………………………………. Tada you burn more Fat.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:34 p.m.

Haven't you been paying attention, you need to pick a side. You either pedal up
or walk, there is no in between.

Ok then, peddal till you cant breath or see stars. Drink H20, catch breath and repeat.

I can jump and turn my bars.

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:42 p.m.

This was more the argument I expected. I knew more people who rode up from the gate. However they would eiher walk or ride up Mtn Highway to the gate depending on their energy and mindset that day.

I find the pedal from Coleman to the first gate more challenging than the gravel switchbacks after.

Feb. 27, 2011, 8:48 p.m.

^^^ I love how you still have my hype machine as your avatar.

Shed head!

Feb. 28, 2011, 2:17 a.m.

This thread sucks