Riding vs Pushing up Fromme

Feb. 9, 2011, 11:14 a.m.

My IT skills are fine, thanks.

Feb. 9, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

The elitism and horses are high in this thread.

Sometimes it is just nice to get out in the woods. No schedule, no deadline, no clients, no computer, no wife, no kids. Just you, your bike, some friends, and a few trails. What does it matter if I walk, pedal or run up the trail? Sometimes I pedal, sometimes I walk, I never run (anywhere). Who are you to say I am doing it wrong? Maybe I like the stroll up just as much as the ride down. Maybe the ride is more about camaraderie or enjoying some personal time, than competitiveness and exercise. We all have different goals in life. Isn't that what makes it interesting?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I like the ride up, doesn't feel like a ride to me to get out of the truck and bomb down the hill. Fromme isn't all that steep and you don't have to be lance to get a big bike up without hiking. Old buck/Powerlines is a nice hike/ride up, you can look around and take in the woods. That being said a big bike is too much for Fromme anyway, and with the road being less that scenic I like to take the hardtail up and enjoy the climb.

I guess getting back to the OP, I don't know if it's marketing, just personal preference. When my only bike was a DH bike i wouldn't have bothered with a bigger gear in the back cause you can't get the seat high enough to sit and spin anyway. Standing on the pedals is good for the fitness though.

Feb. 9, 2011, 11:42 a.m.

lulz @ walking up Fromme

viperfunk.com

Feb. 9, 2011, 12:02 p.m.

this has been beat to death every year for as long as I've been reading this forum

first you'll get all sorts saying why their bike is hard to climb, then the chest beaters will chime in on how if you don't climb you should end yourself, and it will go on and on and on for a few pages until the people pushing are out riding their bikes and the chest beaters are eating their hero cookies.

at the end of it all the conclusion was….who cares, ride your bike, have fun and don't worry so much about what someone else is doing.

To each their own. Live [HTML_REMOVED] let live. Who cares what someone else is doing.

I agree with DaveM 100%.

That said I recently made some of the suggestions the OP suggested - I put a bigger cog [HTML_REMOVED] granny ring along with lighter hoops [HTML_REMOVED] single ply tires on my Bottlerocket for the express purpose of being able to pedal it more uphill over the winter. But to be honest I don't enjoy pedaling uphill anymore then I enjoy walking uphill, I just wanted more saddle time - others may not.

Feb. 9, 2011, 12:12 p.m.

That said I recently made some of the suggestions the OP suggested - I put a bigger cog [HTML_REMOVED] granny ring along with lighter hoops [HTML_REMOVED] single ply tires on my Bottlerocket for the express purpose of being able to pedal it more uphill over the winter. But to be honest I don't enjoy pedaling uphill anymore then I enjoy walking uphill, I just wanted more saddle time - others may not.

nice, maybe some others out there are doing the same. Or maybe some people will try walking up for the first time.

beating a dead horse FTW

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:10 p.m.

What does it matter if I walk, pedal or run up the trail? Sometimes I pedal, sometimes I walk, I never run (anywhere).

it doesn't matter how you get up there

Who are you to say I am doing it wrong?

i don't think anybody's saying you're doing it wrong, just choosing the easy way up that day.

Maybe I like the stroll up just as much as the ride down. Maybe the ride is more about camaraderie or enjoying some personal time, than competitiveness and exercise. We all have different goals in life. Isn't that what makes it interesting?

yup, sometimes it's more enjoyable just to go at it at an easy pace.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:25 p.m.

i don't think anybody's saying you're doing it wrong

No I did tell him he is doing it wrong. Try to keep up Jabroni

All walkers are doing it WRONG.

If you want to go for a walk hit up the Grouse Grind with the rest of the Lululemon glad tourists.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:28 p.m.

I'm fit too. I take pride in riding everything, up and down on the same bike. I so fit and strong it's absurd. But no one really cares. That's not what it's about for them. It's good to feel good about your strength and prowess, but that's just not what it's about for some people. Riding bikes is fun for them, like playland or bungee jumping, not like sweating and hurting. Let them have their fun, it's as important to them as it is to you.

www.northshorebillet.com

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:38 p.m.

I'm fit too. I take pride in riding everything, up and down on the same bike. I so fit and strong it's absurd. But no one really cares. That's not what it's about for them. It's good to feel good about your strength and prowess, but that's just not what it's about for some people. Riding bikes is fun for them, like playland or bungee jumping, not like sweating and hurting. Let them have their fun, it's as important to them as it is to you.

More fun to make fun of the walkers. Too many lazy people in society already.

Feb. 9, 2011, 2:42 p.m.

I pedalled from the gate to 7th on a 36x32, anyone who walks is a wussy and should be laughed at.

FIST PUMPS!

But fo reals, do what you want, even though syncro is right.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:39 p.m.

No I did tell him he is doing it wrong. Try to keep up Jabroni

All walkers are doing it WRONG.

If you want to go for a walk hit up the Grouse Grind with the rest of the Lululemon glad tourists.

you're more than likely just clowning around, but if not why push the button so hard. there's really nothing wrong with takin it easy.

i'm guessing that you've never run a shuttle?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:40 p.m.

lulz @ walking up Fromme

Climbing Forbidden FTW!

I walked up Red Rotor though.

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:43 p.m.

does this mean i can ride up bobsled?

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:46 p.m.

I walked up Red Rotor though.

slacker.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Feb. 9, 2011, 3:47 p.m.

you're more than likely just clowning around, but if not why push the button so hard. there's really nothing wrong with takin it easy.

i'm guessing that you've never run a shuttle?

Push buttons on the internet? Isn't that what this thing is for?

Shuttles make sense on certain mountains, pushing makes sense on certain mountains. Pushing up Fromme is just lame.