Riding vs Pushing up Fromme

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

not going to disagree with you on anything really, other than the walking=lazy part…

maybe its just you, but there has got to be a way for you to phrase things in way that doesn't sounds like you are looking down your nose/holier than thou

part of it comes from years of people asking for the easy way to get fit - there is no easy way. the hard truth is that getting fit and staying there is hard work. there are no shortcuts.

re walking = lazy, let's look at things another way.

if you were a boss and one of your employees was only working to 50% capacity what would you call that? walking up fromme is probably akin to working at less than 50% capacity.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:16 p.m.

For myself I decided long ago that it boils down to getting twice the ride if I pedal up - it's really about time on the bike. Maybe the pushers will figure it out one day as well. A technical move on the climb is just as rewarding to make on the climb as on the decent. It doesn't need to be done simply to lord over teh wussies ; )

This

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:16 p.m.

not so dude.. you'd have to be freekin lance armstrong to ride a 50lbs DH bike up fromme; you'd have to stand and ride the whole way and the suspension bob makes it no fun at all.

Fromme is one of the easiest climbs around.

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:38 p.m.

if you were a boss and one of your employees was only working to 50% capacity what would you call that? walking up fromme is probably akin to working at less than 50% capacity.

says the guy with millions of posts, just sayin… ;)

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:43 p.m.

says the guy with millions of posts, just sayin… ;)

Most of that was when he was CUPE and pretending to actually work.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

part of it comes from years of people asking for the easy way to get fit - there is no easy way. the hard truth is that getting fit and staying there is hard work. there are no shortcuts.

unproductive.

but for me biking isn't work - its fun time. yes, i'm riding for performance to a certain degree, but mostly for my own enjoyment. yes, if i hammer, i might squeeze in an extra lap, but i'm not always looking to do that.

the climb is just an inconvenience before the real fun

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

I could post a photo of what I ride up Fromme but I've beat that horse to death;)

O RLY? ;)

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

the climb is just an inconvenience before the fun part

I think you're doing it wrong

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:57 p.m.

They all want a fucking pill or some mystical elixir from a blender that will solve the problem.

It takes work to improve things regardless of whether it's your climbing ability or your carpentry skills.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

unproductive.

but for me biking isn't work - its fun time. yes, i'm riding for performance to a certain degree, but mostly for my own enjoyment. yes, if i hammer, i might squeeze in an extra lap, but i'm not always looking to do that.

the climb is just an inconvenience before the real fun

it was just an simple analogy, not a direct comparison. that said you could call walking up vs climbing up unproductive as well as it's not a very efficient use of time.

yeah there's times where i don't like the climbs, where it's an inconvenience, but plenty of time when i do. for me there's also the big picture and the quality of life issue. do i want to be a peter morin 25 yrs from now or do i want to be passing the days on the couch in front of the tv because my body won't let me do any more?

at the end of the day i don't want my physical fitness, which has a simple equation for improvement, to be the limiting factor in what i'd like to do or try. we all marvel at some of the amazing photos people have posted here and see people have said they wish they had the fitness to do a ride like that. my question is why let your fitness decide whether you get to enjoy an experience like that?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:12 p.m.

Honestly, I ride up Fromme every time, although I push up to the yellow gate, but who cares? If you're having fun, you're doing it right. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Riding is more fun than not riding

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:16 p.m.

This is a silly discussion.

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:23 p.m.

This is a silly discussion.

it's the internet, are you surprised?

Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

it was just an simple analogy, not a direct comparison. that said you could call walking up vs climbing up unproductive as well as it's not a very efficient use of time.

yeah there's times where i don't like the climbs, where it's an inconvenience, but plenty of time when i do. for me there's also the big picture and the quality of life issue. do i want to be a peter morin 25 yrs from now or do i want to be passing the days on the couch in front of the tv because my body won't let me do any more?

at the end of the day i don't want my physical fitness, which has a simple equation for improvement, to be the limiting factor in what i'd like to do or try. we all marvel at some of the amazing photos people have posted here and see people have said they wish they had the fitness to do a ride like that. my question is why let your fitness decide whether you get to enjoy an experience like that?

that would suck if my fitness were limited to the point where where i couldn't do the things i wanted.

i don't see that this has to do with you being a wiener about people who push their bike up fromme though.

you turned this into a soapbox for you trumpet about the benefits of physical fitness.

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:40 p.m.

In my time I've won road hill climbs, loads of XC races blah blah blah and I'll happily walk up Fromme. I really don't care….and beer is good.

treezz
wow you are a ass