Riding vs Pushing up Fromme

Feb. 8, 2011, 6:28 p.m.

Without riding the bike up the hill how does one kill their hangover before getting to the top?

Feb. 8, 2011, 6:51 p.m.

that can't possibly be for me - i don't need a ride up the hill.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 7:12 p.m.

if you're willing to put out the effort then there's no reason for not being able to climb fromme on a dh bike. imo it's a question of how lazy or out of shape you are and how fit you want to be.

not so dude.. you'd have to be freekin lance armstrong to ride a 50lbs DH bike up fromme; you'd have to stand and ride the whole way and the suspension bob makes it no fun at all.

Feb. 8, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

not so dude.. you'd have to be freekin lance armstrong to ride a 50lbs DH bike up fromme; you'd have to stand and ride the whole way and the suspension bob makes it no fun at all.

nope - you don't need to be lance armstrong. you just need to be dedicated and be willing to work for it. it's difficult at first and you will suffer, but if you stick with it the upside is that it will get easier and your bike fitness improves dramatically. once you get there it's easier to maintain that level of fitness than to try and build up to it.

walking up doesn't mean you can't have fun and it doesn't make you a bad person, but recognize it for what it is - a choice to expend as little energy as possible to make the climb up to the top as easy as possible. like i often tell people at the gym; be honest with yourself in that there are no valid excuses for being in poor shape. you either are willing to work hard or you're not.

i used to ride an 02 norco team dh with monsters and a 42 ring up front and a 36 out back. the bike weighed around 46lbs and had lots of suspension bob.
at first it sucked riding that thing up, but it was the only bike i had so i did it. after a while i was able to go from the first gate to uoc in under 45mins and do 7th in around 50mins. while i considered this a good level of fintess, i didn't think it was great at all.

edit
i honestly don't think that riding a dh bike up fromme is some great feat or amazing accomplishment; it's good but not great. now if you could ride a dh bike up the moose (which i have seen done btw) or say up cardiac on sfu (top and bottome half, from the bike park) that would be impressive.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

Without riding the bike up the hill how does one kill their hangover before getting to the top?

just maintain the hangover on the way up. :beer:

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:06 p.m.

For myself I decided long ago that it boils down to getting twice the ride if I pedal up - it's really about time on the bike. Maybe the pushers will figure it out one day as well. A technical move on the climb is just as rewarding to make on the climb as on the decent. It doesn't need to be done simply to lord over teh wussies ; )

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:21 p.m.

News flash.

Most meathuckers on the DH bikes arent into it for the fitness….kinda like the way rollerbladers never actually blade to the skatepark,but carry them in a backpack whilst riding their scooter there.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:26 p.m.

walking up doesn't mean you can't have fun and it doesn't make you a bad person, but recognize it for what it is - a choice to expend as little energy as possible to make the climb up to the top as easy as possible. like i often tell people at the gym; be honest with yourself in that there are no valid excuses for being in poor shape. you either are willing to work hard or you're not.

you always come off as such a wiener

believe it or not, many people are different than you and don't have fitness engraved into every facet of their shitty little lives. they go riding to have fun - riding up the hill may or may not be part of that 'fun'.

and now here you are equating walking your bike up a hill with laziness and being in poor shape.

i always ride up fromme if its busy, but often walk/enjoy myself/relax if it isn't. you can get fucked if you pedal past me and think A) i'm lazy or B) im out of shape

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:26 p.m.

News flash.

Most meathuckers on the DH bikes arent into it for the fitness….kinda like the way rollerbladers never actually blade to the skatepark,but carry them in a backpack whilst riding their scooter there.

i'm not necessarily into the dh bike for the fitness either - but it sure is a nice benefit. when i'm in good shape i can bang off way more laps on the dh bike than when i'm not.

so if that's what it's all about, then why would you not do something that's going to help your riding and allow you to do more of it?

Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:29 p.m.

This. It's really about making a choice to over ride your brain making you feel good for taking the easy route that requires less effort.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:30 p.m.

A few years back, we were riding up to 7th or UOC and came across Dangerous Dan. He was on a big DH bike with a single front ring. He stood and climbed the entire way up to UOC and chatted with out group as if he was walking down the sidewalk. He said he was trying to get back in shape.

That's rider living it to the fullest.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

you always come off as such a wiener

believe it or not, many people are different than you and don't have fitness engraved into every facet of their shitty little lives. they go riding to have fun - riding up the hill may or may not be part of that 'fun'.

and now here you are equating walking your bike up a hill with laziness and being in poor shape.

i always ride up fromme if its busy, but often walk/enjoy myself/relax if it isn't. you can get fucked if you pedal past me and think A) i'm lazy or B) im out of shape

really? i thought everybody wanted to be me?

why not equate walking up with being lazy? i've had lots of lazy days on the bike where i take the smaller bike that's easier to pedal or don't do as big a ride or just decide to stay home. there's even been times when i have walked on fromme. i don't have an issue with that and just call it what it is - taking it easy.

everybody has a story and if i ride past you i don't care what it is - if you're taking it easy the only person it really matters to is you. if you're happy with that then great. if it doesn't matter to you why/how people ride then why would it matter if someone else thinks you're being lasy/taking it easy/out of shape? when i ride with someone who's not as fast (up or down) it doesn't really doesn't matter to me, i'll just adjust my pace so i can do the ride with them.

and why not have fitness engraved into our shitty little lives? the human body is amazing with what it can physically achieve, why would you want to limit yourself with the things you can do simply because you don't want to put out the effort? the rewards that can be had from being fit or simply making the effort to be fit are endless. there really are no excuses for being out of shape. and no, i would not call walking a bike up fromme being in shape.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 8, 2011, 8:57 p.m.

i'm not necessarily into the dh bike for the fitness either - but it sure is a nice benefit. when i'm in good shape i can bang off way more laps on the dh bike than when i'm not.

so if that's what it's all about, then why would you not do something that's going to help your riding and allow you to do more of it?

Couldnt agree with you more…in the last few years ive logged as many up miles as i have down.Fromme provides the easiest climb in the Lower mainland with some of the greatest downhill rewards…it's beyond me why anyone would waste that part of the ride on pushing/huffing/puffing their way up there.

(disclaimer: I too pushed from time to time when Shore/DH bikes were almost impossible to ride up the road…no excuse with todays bikes)

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:01 p.m.

really? i thought everybody wanted to be me?

why not equate walking up with being lazy? i've had lots of lazy days on the bike where i take the smaller bike that's easier to pedal or don't do as big a ride or just decide to stay home. there's even been times when i have walked on fromme. i don't have an issue with that and just call it what it is - taking it easy.

everybody has a story and if i ride past you i don't care what it is - if you're taking it easy the only person it really matters to is you. if you're happy with that then great. if it doesn't matter to you why/how people ride then why would it matter if someone else thinks you're being lasy/taking it easy/out of shape? when i ride with someone who's not as fast (up or down) it doesn't really doesn't matter to me, i'll just adjust my pace so i can do the ride with them.

and why not have fitness engraved into our shitty little lives? the human body is amazing with what it can physically achieve, why would you want to limit yourself with the things you can do simply because you don't want to put out the effort? the rewards that can be had from being fit or simply making the effort to be fit are endless. there really are no excuses for being out of shape. and no, i would not call walking a bike up fromme being in shape.

not going to disagree with you on anything really, other than the walking=lazy part…

maybe its just you, but there has got to be a way for you to phrase things in way that doesn't sounds like you are looking down your nose/holier than thou

Feb. 8, 2011, 9:03 p.m.

Couldnt agree with you more…in the last few years ive logged as many up miles as i have down.Fromme provides the easiest climb in the Lower mainland with some of the greatest downhill rewards…it's beyond me why anyone would waste that part of the ride on pushing/huffing/puffing their way up there.

(disclaimer: I too pushed from time to time when Shore/DH bikes were almost impossible to ride up the road…no excuse with todays bikes)

i also look at things from the persepctive of time - if you don't have a lot of spare time being fit and able to pedal up can make the difference in being able to get a ride in or not at all.

Ellen Langer