Riding south of the border - WA, OR, etc

Feb. 2, 2019, 7:10 p.m.

When you guys cross the border do you declare your bikes, check serial numbers, etc or just say "Hey bro-brah border guard person, we're going for a rip on some sweet ass trails yo" and leave it at that?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 2, 2019, 7:21 p.m.

Pretty much the 2nd one, last went in October

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Feb. 2, 2019, 7:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 2, 2019, 8:16 p.m.

2nd one. They get lots of people headed to Galbraith. Roll up with bikes on the back and the stank of bike gear wafting out the car, it's always been a routine crossing for me.

Feb. 3, 2019, 12:39 a.m.

Do you guys get health insurance to cover crashes in the US?

Feb. 3, 2019, 12:44 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

travel medical from BCAA or the like is relatively cheap. for what it costs for a year it's worth it and then you can head down at the drop of a hat and not have to worry having insurance.

Feb. 3, 2019, 7:41 a.m.

Second one.

I did get hassled about bringing a dirty bike back into Canada once, though. The guy was claiming that dirt and mud can be a vector for biohazards brought across the border.

Thread about it here: https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/psa-wash-your-bikes-before-crossing-the-border-1162/

Feb. 3, 2019, 7:29 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

travel medical from BCAA or the like is relatively cheap. for what it costs for a year it's worth it and then you can head down at the drop of a hat and not have to worry having insurance.

Can also sign up for travel insurance online in a few minutes. I've only gone riding in the US three times so I wouldn't sign up for more than I have to.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Feb. 3, 2019, 7:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 4, 2019, 5:46 a.m.

Every damn time. A few bucks is a very small price to pay. You might get in a collision on the I5, or have something happen out on the trails. BCAA or TD travel insurance is  a few bucks per day - you can buy it online super easily. Imagine how dumb you would feel if you didn't spend $5 on insurance and got hit with a $20k medical bill. Murica's gotta get paid!

Feb. 4, 2019, 6:50 a.m.

You may have a credit card that includes short term travel insurance (read the fine print to see if mountain biking is not excluded).

Feb. 4, 2019, 9:59 a.m.

Might also be worth checking with your Extended Health provider thru work.

I was covered by Pacific Blue Cross for some dental work following an OTB incident in Washington and also a hornet sting which required prescription antibiotics...

Feb. 4, 2019, 10:29 a.m.

Absolutely would not bike/ski in the US without proper medical insurance, could be a bankrupting error. Low probability high consequence type thing.

I've ridden in Bellingham a bunch of times and never been hassled on either side of the border via Nexus lane. I even did a combo work site visit + bike ride and they didn't bat an eye. There's a self serve car wash in Bellingham just off I-5 you can use to hose the mud off your bike for a couple bucks.

Last edited by: grambo on Feb. 4, 2019, 10:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 8, 2019, 2:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

When you guys cross the border do you declare your bikes, check serial numbers, etc or just say "Hey bro-brah border guard person, we're going for a rip on some sweet ass trails yo" and leave it at that?

What's the significance of checking serial numbers? Is that to determine whether you are crossing the border with a newly purchased bike (and trying to dodge taxes/duties)?

Feb. 27, 2019, 2:09 p.m.

I  make sure to get insurance every time I go to the states. This past thanksgiving I was riding Galbraith with an American cousin, I went flying over the bars on a green trail and broke one of my ribs. I didn't want to test out my insurance but I was sure glad to have it, and I missed a month of work from that crash. 

I did get asked when coming back when and where I had bought my bike. I told the border guards and informed them they could call the bike shop I purchased it from for further confirmation, they didn't have any other questions after that.