riding in Austria and Germany

May 5, 2010, 9:34 p.m.

maybe Switzerland too

me and a bud are going backpacking in europe for a month and I want to go somewhere I can rent a bike and do some fun riding. We're landing in Frankfurt then going to visit a friend in Bingen, then to Munich, then hopefully to somewhere with riding before we go to Czech Republic then Poland (my bud is a history buff and really wants to see the Auschwitz museums). My googling has brought up Bad Wildbad(cool name) in Germany and Leogang, Saalbach, and Wagrain in Austria.. I think they're all ski hills with bike parks in the summer. Looks like theres some sweet places in south west Switzerland and over the border in France but it's kind of out of the way from where we want to go. I'd want to go somewhere that's really different from the riding here so I dunno if whistler-wannabe bikeparks would be the best, but they would be the easiest to find a rental.

Later we're gunna fly up to Norway to meet a friend in Stavanger but just have plans for hiking and haven't found any exciting biking near there.. unless i wanna do some Bender drops of the Preikestolen cliff or something

May 6, 2010, 3:46 a.m.

for how long do you want to ride? do you have a car? normally you can rent a bike in every bikepark, cost you normally around 50 eur a day. in south germany you should hit bad wildbad, todtnau, maybe geisskopf (on your way to poland). if you want to ride more in austria, consider the gravity card. with it you'll have a season pass for 5 austrian parks, maribor, and geisskopf and winterberg in germany. cost you 350eur. specify what you really want and i'll give you the best riding spots :)

May 6, 2010, 1:17 p.m.

I'm jealous, I'd love to ride over there when the budget permits

Agreed on riding stuff thats different from Whis. I'd aim for epic alpine xc singletrack if I were you - stuff that would be Natl Park here but that's gondi-accessed and open to bikes out there. XC bikes might be cheaper to rent too

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 7, 2010, 10:11 a.m.

I'm going to be in Switzerland from Sept 13 until the 27. Wanted to do at least a couple days of riding. Either in Switz or Austria.

I know that is a little later in their season. Can someone recommend actual parks/places to look up? I would need rentals as well….

:heart::coffee::heart:

May 7, 2010, 7:45 p.m.

this places looks cool along swiss/french border http://www.champery.com/Biking.shtml

May 8, 2010, 7:57 a.m.

it's all closed when he arrives in switzerland kevin, the area is called "portes du soleil", open late june to early september.

May 9, 2010, 12:25 a.m.

shame, that place looks massively rad.

for how long do you want to ride? do you have a car? normally you can rent a bike in every bikepark, cost you normally around 50 eur a day. in south germany you should hit bad wildbad, todtnau, maybe geisskopf (on your way to poland). if you want to ride more in austria, consider the gravity card. with it you'll have a season pass for 5 austrian parks, maribor, and geisskopf and winterberg in germany. cost you 350eur. specify what you really want and i'll give you the best riding spots :)

I won't have a car, doing the typical riding trains around with a big backpack thing. Looking to just hang out somewhere for like 3 days or so at the end of may/beginning of June, looking at Leogang and Saalbach, but I think only Leogang will be open when I want to go. So yeah anything good around southern Germany/Austria, somewhere with good riding and a good taste of the alps

May 9, 2010, 3:06 p.m.

leogang would be the largest ressort in this time then. when you're riding the trains, have you considered an eurrail ticket for your time in europe?

May 9, 2010, 7:44 p.m.

yep already got it