riding buddy (trail dogs)

Dec. 10, 2015, 7:25 a.m.

Ditto on vocalization. Alice is the loudest dog you've ever heard. And smart and what she thinks is polite talking to people to express her feelings really makes small children cry and adults want to leave the room immediately. Mini Aussies are awesome trail dog though. They're fast and agile and their natural inclination is to chase/herd you.

Dec. 10, 2015, 8:41 a.m.

Herding dogs can be loud but make awesome bikin dogs! A friend has one that makes the most hilarious little noises any time a slow down and/or change direction without her expecting me to - hangs out right beside my right pedal but somehow never gets smacked!

Another buddy had a loud trail dog, shock collar took care of it pretty quick. Now he only yips at the start of wicked downhills which is kinda cute!

Dec. 10, 2015, 8:45 a.m.

I have a herder, he is a rad trail dog, but does not stfu ever. It's go go go.

Dec. 10, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

Nice pooch Ross. I have had a couple of friends with those dogs. You might find at that age he might seem a little not so into you at first which is because they really tend to be a one owner dog. Once he bonds with you it will be another story and will probably be very easy to train and will listen to you very well, although he probably won't listen to anyone else if you are not around which makes it fun for anyone who takes care of him for a weekend.

I'm the best at being modest !

Dec. 10, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

Or here he is following me off Pile Driver. Had no idea he'd do that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-pwrrONS4p/?taken-by=jlev_pedalling

And something like Expresso Smooth on Dales: https://www.instagram.com/p/-plSqRNS0l/?taken-by=jlev_pedalling

he is awesome!! dogs love adrenaline

Dec. 12, 2015, 8:18 a.m.

A few old 15sec instagram videos that I forgot about with my
blueheeler x bordercollie Ches Le Bro Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Br0iQ7kLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBB-bfDANU0

yeah bro!!

Dec. 16, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

Here is Penny, my 3YO Vizsla. Total sweetheart and I dont think I will ever find a section that she cant clear. She can run up a wall!

This is her on the cover of a Calendar!

Top of BLT

Dec. 17, 2015, 4:37 p.m.

Awesome, my family visla growing up was also named Penny. They are awesome dogs. My parents and sister continued to have them till recently. I switched to ridgebacks. My 2 year old loves the trails and the bikes, but still has too much prey drive. Sorry to all those on Seymour who have had him chase your pedal.

Dec. 17, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

Wish the owner was this svelte.

Dec. 18, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

Yes, Ridgebacks sure are swelte!!

I narrowed it down to Vizslas and Ridgebacks when I was looking. They're very similar in many ways but the potential size of a Ridgeback tipped me over to a Vizsla. Who knew that a 50lb can take up so much of the bed (under the covers), a big Ridgeback would be a lot worse!!

Penny loves playing with Ridgebacks too. Not a lot of dogs can play like that, Vizslas, Weims, Pointers, Ridgebacks and boxers. It's a short list!

We are in Cypress almost all of the time but will watch out for the Ridgeback!

Dec. 23, 2015, 11:03 a.m.

Anyone looking at different breeds should check out an 'Aussalier' I got one this summer, rad lil dogs. Half mini Australian Sheppard and half Cavalier Spaniel.There is a reputable breeder in langley.

Only about 25 pounds full grown, super smart, fast and agile on the trails and not too rambunctious.

Dec. 30, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

nice dog ross' . . . vocalizing is part of that breeds' inherent herding skills , so if it presents itself , get a grip on it as soon as you can .

unless you like that kind of thing . human riding buddies often don't tho . . .

So far so good, he's only barked at the doorbell ringing or if he sees a cat/squirrel in the yard.

Herding dogs can be loud but make awesome bikin dogs! A friend has one that makes the most hilarious little noises any time a slow down and/or change direction without her expecting me to - hangs out right beside my right pedal but somehow never gets smacked!

Another buddy had a loud trail dog, shock collar took care of it pretty quick. Now he only yips at the start of wicked downhills which is kinda cute!

Previous owners had a bark collar on him, I think it did more harm than good as he has a tendency to whine when he's ready for a walk.

Nice pooch Ross. I have had a couple of friends with those dogs. You might find at that age he might seem a little not so into you at first which is because they really tend to be a one owner dog. Once he bonds with you it will be another story and will probably be very easy to train and will listen to you very well, although he probably won't listen to anyone else if you are not around which makes it fun for anyone who takes care of him for a weekend.

He took to me right away. Previous owners said that the day before I picked him up he slept in front of their front door like he knew he was leaving. Seems I can't go anywhere without him following me or at least keeping me in his sights. It's a pretty cool feeling having something so devoted to you.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 9, 2016, 11:09 p.m.

As someone said earlier.. some things that are super important before your dog becomes a trail dog, is a solid recall and some basic commands. I did a lot of "clicker" training with my dog (which you can look up on internet or take an obedience class). I spent all last summer, using my bike more like a run bike, with clicker in one hand and treats in my pocket. Every time my dog was just behind me and to the left, I clicked and treated. It paid off, as she now doesn't go in front of my wheel. I taught my dog a good recall with my voice saying "Come!" and I also taught her the touch command to my hand, so I only have to put my hand down and she'll come back to me to tag it. I also taught her "wait" and "back". I would train both off leash as well as on leash riding (sometimes its just safer to have your dog on lease, ie: near busy road). Start off with short and slow rides, and build up your dogs endurance and most importantly, make sure your dog is hydrated and having a good time. Good luck! A furry biking friend is the best!

Jan. 10, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

I find terms like "Come " are too general especially when there is a group of people , I call the dog by their name first followed by TO ME or TO DADDY , this gets my dogs responding faster then using COME .

Age has gotten the better of my riding buddy , so he is now a hiking mutt with his meathead brother Ridick who is way too big of a breed to be a good riding buddy .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 11, 2016, 6:20 a.m.

'Mike , words are only words to us because we understand their literal " meaning " . To a dog they are just sounds which come to mean that an action should follow . The criteria of the behaviour ( what the dog actually does ) is dependant on the trainer . How consistent the trainer is in seeing the behaviour performed to the same criteria every time will determine whether the dog learns the behaviour , or learns that he can get away with something close to it . Most people don't have the vision or the persistence to see a behaviour performed as close to perfect every time , so over time they allow the behaviour to erode to something that is " good enough " .

Lalena , sounds like you've done a good job incorporating clicker/marker training into your dogs' life . That method is what I train at my school for dogs . While the concept of it is very simple to grasp , the physical mechanics are not easy to master . There is a progression of giving value to the marker/clicker then introducing behaviours which makes it easy for the dog to understand , but if not done properly the value of the reward will be lost over time . Have fun with it . . . It is a great way to strengthen the relationship you have with your dog .