riding buddy (trail dogs)

Nov. 9, 2014, 11:12 p.m.

As far as trainng a dog to do woodwork, they don't really need to go on it. They can go under, over or around the obstacle that the woodwork is meant to avoid. I had to retrain my dog to never go on any elevated woodwork after she got launched about 20 feet off a teeter by the rider she was following. Plus, when the rungs are slick, dogpaws can go right between them and snap their leg.

Also, my one caution to people is to not start their dogs on DH trails until they are about a year old, when they stop growing. It's super hard on their joints, running full-tilt down a rooty rocky uneven trail, jarring their knees/elbows/shoulders. They probably won't have any issues until they are a bit older, but do you really want your dog to be in pain when they are only 7 or 8 years old? You can use the time to really train them on flat trails, get your recalls dialled and teach them to never ever get in front of your "heel".

Dogs are awesome.

:canada: :swiss:

Nov. 10, 2014, 1:22 a.m.

Squirrels…..the final frontier. Apologies to anyone within a KM radius who had to put up with me shouting at my 3yr dog on Fromme today :D She's 99% awesome out and about, but squirrels just put her in another dimension ha ha….

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 23, 2015, 10:35 p.m.

bring this back from the dead .

looking for breed ideas , my boy is 8 now and is getting slower and i,m getting faster and fitter so he,s falling behind .

what i,m looking for
max 70lbs
short hair
social with other dogs and people
easy to train
non hearding breed as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 23, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

easy answer is Lab or Lab crossed with pretty much anything.

Some pretty awesome Lab mixes out there.

April 23, 2015, 11:12 p.m.

^friends black lab/collie mix was perfect on the trails, 9 now I think can't keep up with bikes at all anymore though. Another friend has a pointer that's great too, fast!

April 24, 2015, 2:43 a.m.

I've got a 5 year old blue heeler x border collie, and with the amount of energy both breeds have and the exercise they need he is an amazing trail dog. Was extremely strict with him early on and built a great riding partner.

Also just reread your nonherding breed requirement, but this guy rules so I'll disregard, I'm too stoked with him.

yeah bro!!

April 24, 2015, 8:11 a.m.

the one thing that can be tough is if you get a dog who can ride all day and keep up to high speed riding, than they are likely to be a dog who needs that fix almost everyday.

I think one tough part about getting a dog is getting one that is balanced to your lifestyle. Most dogs will naturally adjust to things, but there can be a few that will become little trouble makers if they don't get exercised enough.

April 24, 2015, 8:29 a.m.

I've got a lab\border collie mix that is a pretty awesome trail dog. He's 6 now and hasn't really slowed down much. Very easy to train on the trail as well.

April 24, 2015, 9:16 a.m.

Pitbull

Wrong. Always.

April 24, 2015, 9:17 a.m.

my current trail mutt is a mutt , pitty/lab/rottie/shitmix , he,s over 82lbs now and even with several rides a week at times he does not seem to lack energy , just endurance .

did a ride on one local hill and there is a neighbor hood dog that tagged along , he was a killer trail dog , had similar coloring to a rottie/dobberman but a more slender lanky build . insanely fast my buddy was hauling down a service road ( clocked mid 50km range for speed ) and that dog was right with him . he schooled me on the trails as well showed me the lines and stayed way ahead .

as for the labs , on the fence , my neighbor had one and that dog was annoying and very habitual routine wise , if he did not get his way he would drive you nuts barking for your attention .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 24, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

I have a 3 yr. old labradoodle. He's an awesome trail dog and can handle a few hot laps with me. He listens well and always stays on the trail. If he does manage to get in front of me I'll tell him to "get back" and he'll pull over to the side and let me pass.

April 24, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Corgi/Australian Shepherd. Just remember that good trail dogs don't necessarily make good couch dogs. Alice has no off switch.

April 24, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

as for the labs , on the fence , my neighbor had one and that dog was annoying and very habitual routine wise , if he did not get his way he would drive you nuts barking for your attention .

please don't tell my lab this….it would seem he didn't get the memo and I would like to keep it that way….

should be noted that there is two types of labs. the working type which can be pretty "active" and the English which seem to be a little calmer.

April 24, 2015, 1:06 p.m.

our little guy is getting close to riding age. Should be good to go around aug(1 yr) or so. It's been fun so far though.

April 24, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

We are still not sure what to get. Guess we wait one or two more years, then our son will be six-ish, and fine with walking the dog on the local trail around the property.

Pitbull

Chewing up the Shore for dessert, eh?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer