Riding alone precautions

Feb. 18, 2014, 8:57 p.m.

So a little while ago I was riding alone down some pretty tough trails and was thinking it's a bit sketchy to be doing this on my own, anyone have any solo riding safety precautions? I do say no to more lines/stunts than I would if I was riding with others but other than that I don't think I'm really doing anything to be ready if something really went wrong.

Maybe pick a friend and shoot them a text went I'm setting out with what I plan on riding and then text again when I'm done, anyone do that?

Anyone carry something other than a cell phone for spotty reception?

Feb. 18, 2014, 9:29 p.m.

I hate riding alone (for the safety factor) and I hardly ever do it, but when I do I always always ALWAYS send my GF a text with EXACTLY which trails I am riding and I NEVER deviate from that list. I almost always pick trails on the easier side of things as well.

Feb. 18, 2014, 9:57 p.m.

If you want some peace of mind, get a SPOT emergency beacon or PLB. In my opinion, these are key if you do any riding or other wilderness activities in areas that don't have cell reception. The North Shore counts - lots of areas with limited or no reception. Definitely a must-have if you're going solo. Of course, if you're riding solo, crash, and knock yourself out, a beacon won't be much help.

If you look through any SAR accident log, such as AAC's 'Accidents in North American Mountaineering' annual volume, pretty much every major incident is significantly complicated by a missing communication link.

In terms of SPOT vs. PLB: a SPOT is cheaper in the short term but definitely is a far inferior device. PLBs operate on a dedicated 406 MHz SAR band and pump out way more power compared to a SPOT (ACRs PLB signal is 5 Watts, 12.5 times the power of a SPOT unit). SPOT is a private company and your distress signal goes first to a private emergency centre and is then relayed to the appropriate local authorities. PLBs go directly to SAR and is recognized immediately as a true emergency. PLBs have a very stringent quality standard with built-in redundancy in the form of the older 121.5 MHz homing frequency.

One other thing to be aware of is that SPOT requires an annual subscription fee of $99 or $149.99 if you want tracking. The device cannot be used until the subscription fee is paid. The 5 year ownership of a SPOT unit is much more expensive than a PLB or EPIRB: $149 unit cost, $499 in subscription fees, $250 for tracking fees, plus GEOs insurance (total 5 year cost can range between a minimum of $648 to as high as $1,649). If the Globalstar company were to close, your SPOT tracker would not work anymore. EPIRBs/PLBs do not require a subscription fee since they use the Cospas-Sarsat satellites (a humanitarian SAR system fully funded by member states of the U.N.). If you are looking for a tracking device that does not have to work every time, get a SPOT. If you want a life saving device, designed and manufactured to work when your life depends on it, get a EPIRB or PLB.

Oh and it goes without saying that you should always leave a trip plan when you go riding. Numerous cases of people going for a hike and getting lost and perishing because no one had any clue where they went. One recent incident was that guy who went for a hike in Hanes valley 3 years ago, broke his leg, and spent 10 days out there - somehow survived. Accidentally found by a off duty NSR person going for a trail run through there. Stupid.

Feb. 18, 2014, 9:57 p.m.

When I ride alone I leave a piece of paper on the dash of my truck describing the route I plan to take and when I expect to be back. In residential areas like around Fromme the locals know which vehicles aren't local and might call S[HTML_REMOVED]R if you're way overdue.

I also ride with a whistle on my pack in case I fall and can't get up. I also try to aim for well-travelled routes at times of day when I'm not likely to be the last one through.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 18, 2014, 11:40 p.m.

I pick easier/lower consequence trails, and I text my gf before I start a descent and once I get to the bottom. I also try to pick trails that get more traffic, and if I pass someone on the climb, I ask what they're riding and consider riding trails where I know others will be. I also throw an extra layer in the pack in case I'm stranded.

At the end of the day, I take responsibility for my own safety, and I don't think it's fair to burden other riders or bystanders with my rescue. But knowing others will be around adds peace of mind.

One issue I've been having that I'm not quite sure how to deal with is my phone dying due to the cold. Even if kept in an inside pocket, it doesn't do well. Not good…

Feb. 19, 2014, 4:54 a.m.

I just stay inside where its safe and knit sweaters.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 19, 2014, 5:38 a.m.

Ride areas where you know there will be other people to help. The note on the dash is important too although if you don't want burglars to know the car is unattended leave it on the floor of the driver side. If you're parked somewhere like old buck or in the gvrd demonstration forest parking lot they will open locked cars left after sunset to find evidence of where the owner is and they will look for that note.

Feb. 19, 2014, 8:09 a.m.

text your route and expected return time to someone trustworthy

bring some extra clothes, a rain jacket and small headlight

you can go further for sure with fancy gear, but that's as far as i would bother with.

Feb. 19, 2014, 8:15 a.m.

Ride areas where you know there will be other people to help. The note on the dash is important too although if you don't want burglars to know the car is unattended leave it on the floor of the driver side. If you're parked somewhere like old buck or in the gvrd demonstration forest parking lot they will open locked cars left after sunset to find evidence of where the owner is and they will look for that note.

This is a good point.

Feb. 19, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

If you're parked somewhere like old buck or in the gvrd demonstration forest parking lot they will open locked cars left after sunset to find evidence of where the owner is and they will look for that note.

I've parked numerous times and lot of friends at OB and never had a vehicle opened after sunset or late. I've parked numerous times higher up on the mountain till late at night and no one has opened my vehicle. I have never heard of this. It doesn't make sense.

:canada:

Feb. 19, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

Check out this old thread, lots of good info and advice in there:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=145589

Feb. 19, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

Always carry a light.

Two RCMP were hiking on Monday around Hyannis at 7 PM looking for a rider stuck on the Baden Powell after dark. I'm sure he knew exactly where he was, was not hurt, but wasn't going anywhere in the dark. We could have had the cops looking for bike thieves instead had he brought a light.

Fess up - who was it?!? ;)

Feb. 19, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

Did I mention, always carry a light?

Feb. 19, 2014, 10:20 a.m.

Haha I always carry a light. I have a couple of those micro LED units in my pack as well as the flashlight app on my phone.

Feb. 19, 2014, 12:02 p.m.

If you use an iphone, activate the "find my phone" app.