Ridelogs

Aug. 20, 2021, 2:25 p.m.

Another PSA requesting that if you ride on any trail that is not on TF, that you:

1) Dont upload your ridelog to public apps,

2) Make sure that if you do upload to your PRIVATE account, that it is not linked with another public account,

3) Make sure that if you use Strava that you are not contributing to the heatmap. To do that, go to: https://www.strava.com/settings/privacy. Scroll down the page to Metro and Heatmap. Uncheck the box marked "Include your activities in Metro and Heatmap" , and

4) Be very careful with your social media.

Im sure many people are accidentally dooming certain trails but they are dooming them none-the-less.

If you must upload your ridelog, please do it to a single site and make sure that your privacy settings are so only you can see it. Then cross your fingers that the data that you upload isnt used against the riding community in the future.

DONT WRECK THE TRAILS. I know for certain that landmanagers are now using these apps to find new unauthorized trails. Perhaps the trails shouldnt be getting put in, but if you want to keep riding them....

Aug. 20, 2021, 3:12 p.m.

#fuckstrava

Aug. 20, 2021, 4:17 p.m.

If you upload a TF ride log (with unsanctioned trails), the admins are aware and share the info with their friends... just don't upload to anywhere.

https://nsmb.com/articles/ten-laws-loam/

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Aug. 20, 2021, 4:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 20, 2021, 8:10 p.m.

If you build it...

Aug. 21, 2021, 9:55 a.m.

I’m completely off Strava and never used Trailforks for other than finding trails and locating myself. I would add, if you are riding a secret trail, walk out at the end, or cover your tracks or otherwise don’t make the end of the trail obvious. Not there are any secret trails.

And absolutely local trail organizations know of many of the unsanctioned trails. Earlier this year WORCA accidentally posted a screen shot from Trailforks that showed unsanctioned trails in grey colour. Oops. All trails I knew of already but I live here. I see more than most people do.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Aug. 21, 2021, 9:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 23, 2021, 7:11 a.m.

In a related question, is there a non-web-dev way to pull your ride log data into google sheets? I keep a personal/qualitative ride log in Google sheets that tracks more than just the trails I rode. Usually I'll link to my TF ride log so I can refer back to it. It would be cool if that link could bring distance, elevation, etc. Anyone know how to do that?

Aug. 23, 2021, 7:37 a.m.

Posted by: craw

In a related question, is there a non-web-dev way to pull your ride log data into google sheets? I keep a personal/qualitative ride log in Google sheets that tracks more than just the trails I rode. Usually I'll link to my TF ride log so I can refer back to it. It would be cool if that link could bring distance, elevation, etc. Anyone know how to do that?

If you use Strava you can use a site like https://www.statshunters.com/ to import your activities and then export the stats to Excel (which Google Sheets can import).

Edit: looks like Trailforks can export your ridelog to CSV (which Google Sheets can import as well). I don't have any rides in Trailforks so can't test it. But the columns include distance, time, elevation and what I think are links to the activity on Trailforks and/or Strava.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Aug. 23, 2021, 7:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.