Ride up more - bitch less

July 3, 2003, 9:24 a.m.

I road rode that climb a couple weeks ago too. Preparation for the test. Did you know that Seymour is considered a Categorie 1 climb? Hate to think what Hors Categorie would be like. Actually I know a couple climbs which could be considered that. Cinnabar Creek up near Tyax Lodge in the Chilcotins and most every other climb there.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 3, 2003, 9:51 a.m.

I was on a road bike for the first time ever this weekend. I only rode 400m, but I was so hooked. The bike I was riding had carbon forks…so trick! The owner didn't like it too much when I was bunny hopping though.

I miss Vancouver!

July 3, 2003, 9:52 a.m.

Originally posted by Oldfart
a Categorie 1 climb? Hate to think what Hors Categorie would be like. Actually I know a couple climbs which could be considered that. Cinnabar Creek up near Tyax Lodge in the Chilcotins and most every other climb there.

From the snow shed to the toll booth on the Coq (the hill that's fun to fly down in your car) is waaay steeper than it looks, especially when your looking up @ it from your saddle.

July 3, 2003, 11:45 a.m.

Originally posted by Oldfart
I road rode that climb a couple weeks ago too. Preparation for the test. Did you know that Seymour is considered a Categorie 1 climb? Hate to think what Hors Categorie would be like. Actually I know a couple climbs which could be considered that. Cinnabar Creek up near Tyax Lodge in the Chilcotins and most every other climb there.

Yah - Seymour is 8.6% and isn't long enough. The Duffy road climb would be considered Hors Categorie. That climb is well over 10% and is 17% sustained in some places

Is Cinnabar Creek the climb up to Windy Pass in the Chilcotin?

July 3, 2003, 11:46 a.m.

Originally posted by wilkez
thats why fromme is better than seymour, you gotta work for your ride down. and im sure its just as much work as riding all the way up seymour if i ride my 47 pound monster with 3 inch tires inflated to 40psi :thepimp: but i did keep up with you one time lee!

I'm not sure you realize how hard you made me work to keep ahead of you.

July 3, 2003, 11:47 a.m.

Originally posted by LeeLau
I'm not sure you realize how hard you made me work to keep ahead of you.

let the trueth be known. :D well, then, maybe I could keep up to a few of you.

July 3, 2003, 11:51 a.m.

Originally posted by Zedbra
let the trueth be know. :D well, then, maybe I could keep up to a few of you.

When I was in shape I could make it from Golf course to Elfin Lakes parking lot in 58 minutes and then to Elfin Lake Hut in 1:46.

Al and Scott Ross big ring the first part of the road and hold the record at 44 minutes.

Chad Miles did the GK Ripper one year and made it to 19th Hole trailhead in 41minutes. He then handed off to a teammate on an Intense who went downhill. Chad gave the guy 30 seconds headstart and then caught the guy half-way down the trail!

So lets get training!

July 3, 2003, 11:58 a.m.

**When I was in shape I could make it from Golf course to Elfin Lakes parking lot in 58 minutes and then to Elfin Lake Hut in 1:46.

Al and Scott Ross big ring the first part of the road and hold the record at 44 minutes.

Chad Miles did the GK Ripper one year and made it to 19th Hole trailhead in 41minutes. He then handed off to a teammate on an Intense who went downhill. Chad gave the guy 30 seconds headstart and then caught the guy half-way down the trail!

So lets get training! **

:eek: 44 minutes to Elfin Lake….. 41 minutes to 19th, then catches up to Graeme(on the Intense, I'm guessing?). K, well, the day you call and you're in town, if I somehow don't answer the phone - I'm out training. That's my story.

July 3, 2003, 12:03 p.m.

:eek: 44 minutes to Elfin Lake….. 41 minutes to 19th, then catches up to Graeme(on the Intense, I'm guessing?). K, well, the day you call and you're in town, if I somehow don't answer the phone - I'm out training. That's my story.

i though most of your "training" occurs indoors…

when you coming out to ride in van Zed?

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

July 3, 2003, 12:03 p.m.

Al and Scott do 44 minutes to the Elfin PARKING LOT. Sorry. They're fast but not that fast. I think Chad raced with Graeme but not totally sure

July 3, 2003, 12:11 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
**i though most of your "training" occurs indoors…

when you coming out to ride in van Zed? **

hopefully sooner than later. I thought I would be taking more time to heal, but I'm feeling good, so I've been going hard at it. I need to rebook a ride with you to Cypress, and one to Eagle with Mulletron. On Saturday Rat is coming to Squamish. You interested?

July 3, 2003, 12:26 p.m.

Originally posted by Neil
In a sick way, I miss the days when I would ride the road bike up Westwood Plateau, fly back down and once at the bottom again decide to do the climb "just one more time". I'd usually do it 3 or 4 times before spinning home.

I feel so dirty. **

So how many minutes is the climb up Westwood Plateau? Grade/length? I've often thought of riding up Mt. Seymour two or three times in succession, but water would be a problem, especially if it's hot like today.

And LeeLau, does the moratorium on Fromme mean that there will be a Seymour relay instead? And would the climbing be on the trail or road?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 3, 2003, 12:38 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho

And LeeLau, does the moratorium on Fromme mean that there will be a Seymour relay instead? And would the climbing be on the trail or road? **

I think we managed to talk DNV into letting us do trail days and races. Staff was just trying to be extra-cautious as the residents were being pretty in your face. Can't say I blame staff. So I think the 7th secret relay is a go.

Btw - the fastest guy from water tower to 7th was 32 minutes.

July 3, 2003, 12:46 p.m.

**I think we managed to talk DNV into letting us do trail days and races. Staff was just trying to be extra-cautious as the residents were being pretty in your face. Can't say I blame staff. So I think the 7th secret relay is a go.

Btw - the fastest guy from water tower to 7th was 32 minutes. **

32 dosnt seem that fast really. I would have thought it could be done in the low 20's Lumbering up on a big bike takes 45 -50 and usually there is a saftey meeting halfway up.

July 3, 2003, 1 p.m.

When I first got into mtn biking 4 years ago, I was riding (barely) up bby mtn. Then my friends wanted to gasp shuttle up. I was aghast. A couple of years later, I became a shuttler @ Seymour, then a Whistler-groupie all last summer. It was great. I improved my skills. Met great people. And collected kick-ass protective gear. But I felt a bit empty - almost guilty.

Before my mis-hap in Feb, I made a decision to start riding up again. My .243 is almost completely built up, and I think I'm almost ready to challenge bby mtn again. Get back to my roots. Get some exercise along the way. And avoid the congestion along the shuttle routes.

To shuttlers/lift-ees: continue to have a great time.
To me: it's gonna kick-ass.

'cac

www.RacquetChat.com