ride tracking apps

Oct. 10, 2019, 4:49 p.m.

what are people using these days, still mostly strava? anybody using mapmyride?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 10, 2019, 5:57 p.m.

You can bypass Strava and track your ride right in Trailforks now. But I think a lot still use Strava for the social side/glory.

Oct. 10, 2019, 8:27 p.m.

Strava.

Phone needs decent placement to get a good signal, so be careful.

Oct. 11, 2019, 8:03 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

You can bypass Strava and track your ride right in Trailforks now. But I think a lot still use Strava for the social side/glory.

I like the Trailforks ride tracker. It has just enough key metrics and none of the Strava stuff/crap.

Oct. 16, 2019, 2:59 p.m.

I think that you need to consider where you are riding as your Strava track will be visible on heatmaps, and your data on the other apps is going somewhere too. 

If I want to map something and Im cautious as to what Im using, I use my handheld GPS in my pocket.

Oct. 17, 2019, 11:24 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I think that you need to consider where you are riding as your Strava track will be visible on heatmaps, and your data on the other apps is going somewhere too. 

If I want to map something and Im cautious as to what Im using, I use my handheld GPS in my pocket.

In the settings for Strava you can turn off the heatmap data. So none of your rides will be used for creating the heatmap. Looking at the heatmaps I don't think most people do this though.

Oct. 17, 2019, 7:05 p.m.

Plus the GPS in many phones and Garmins are not super accurate. I’ve gone hunting for what looked like trails on the heat map that made no sense. Only when I reviewed my own Strava line on the satellite photo did I realize that I had ridden that trail already. Out and back on the road up to Black Tusk had me about 50 metres in the woods one way.

Oct. 18, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

Anyone use one of the new bar mount Garmins that have TrailForks loaded?

Oct. 20, 2019, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Anyone use one of the new bar mount Garmins that have TrailForks loaded?

I'm interested in this too. Smaller the better to increase survivability in a wreck.

Would love to ditch my phone. Anyone using a Samsung watch for riding?

Oct. 20, 2019, 4:25 p.m.

I have an Edge 520, which you cab load Trailforks on.  The device is good for road riding, but not great under the canopy.

I use a Garmin Montana in the woods, and find it to work better in the woods.  It supports a handlebar mount, or it can be put into a pack or back pocket.  It supports custom map loading.

Oct. 20, 2019, 8:28 p.m.

I use a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak watch when riding (and running) and it works great in the trees.  Every once in awhile it it will suffer the "offset" problem that andy mentioned above, but I think most devices are susceptible to that in certain conditions.  Suunto's Movescount app and website are OK, but I just use them to automatically sync my activities to Strava.  

I'd rather not run down the battery in my phone using it to track a ride in case something goes sideways and I need it for an emergency.