Ride to Singing Pass?

Feb. 26, 2012, 7:28 p.m.

If you removed your head from your ass and loosened the tinfoil around your head a bit. The riders who are drawn to this are a small percentage of the community that you fear so much. Riders who are drawn to this are like Lee Lau, Sharon, Flip Fantasia, Shirk, and others including myself.. who have no problem with a grunt march to get there.

This will take to much work for the majority to ride. this majority are happy to spend all day on Whistler with a chairlift. Hmm sounds like winter where the majority like lift service skiing while a small percentage will do the winter grunt to get their turns.

:lol:

Ya' know, endo-man, you'll get no argument from me that you, or I, or any of those others you've mentioned couldn't ride in the alpine/park with the respect and comportment that would leave any of the hikers we'd encounter thinking us just really swell people.

The issue is mechanized transport in an environment people have traditionally reposed to "to get away from it all".

And like it or not, though human powered, bicycles are a form of mechanized transport.

Bicycles in the alpine/park are as repugnant to them as heli-ski operations overhead are to me when I'm backcounrty skiing.

And you're wrong IMO about the "majority". Once alpine/park access becomes common knowledge, the meat-heads will find their way out there.

'tis only a matter of time……..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 27, 2012, 11:19 a.m.

Ya' know, endo-man, you'll get no argument from me that you, or I, or any of those others you've mentioned couldn't ride in the alpine/park with the respect and comportment that would leave any of the hikers we'd encounter thinking us just really swell people.

The issue is mechanized transport in an environment people have traditionally reposed to "to get away from it all".

And like it or not, though human powered, bicycles are a form of mechanized transport.

Bicycles in the alpine/park are as repugnant to them as heli-ski operations overhead are to me when I'm backcounrty skiing.

And you're wrong IMO about the "majority". Once alpine/park access becomes common knowledge, the meat-heads will find their way out there.

Please note the irony of the resident Conspiracy Brother who posts endlessly about government conspiracies of control and restrictions. Now jumping on the we need more control and restrictions band wagon.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

alpine touring bindings and the like are all mechanized too, aren't they? better ban the hundreds of ski tourers out there too!

Feb. 27, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

alpine touring bindings and the like are all mechanized too, aren't they? better ban the hundreds of ski tourers out there too!

Better ban running and hiking while we are at it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 27, 2012, 1:22 p.m.

Yeah. Slippery slope ain't it. I see tungsten's point though. Even amongst the crowd that can actually ride uphill there will be goofballs that will need to ride somewhere they shouldn't or ride in a way that gets others angry. Most non riders see us as quiet motorcycles. However, fighting for access in parks may cause "them" to leave us alone on Crown Lands.

Not like the hikers are all saints either. Look at the pea gravel path through Black Tusk meadows. It's been eons since I have been up there but I recall looking down from above at that ribbon and at the line of hikers thinking that was required because there were too many people probably walking off trail damaging things. I had driven up the microwave access road and hiked to the snow to ski.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 27, 2012, 6:06 p.m.

The reality is that with Parks Canada on the path to allowing mountain biking in the parks. To the point of actually building trails. This will cause change in provincial parks as well.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 27, 2012, 6:59 p.m.

what about hiking poles, that's a mechanism. BAN HIKERS NOW.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 27, 2012, 7:54 p.m.

I always have mixed feelings about stuff like this. I see Tungsten's side, to the extent that I recommended not allowing cyclists on the peak chair. This way, you must pedal some to get there and it won't be easy to do laps on a big bike in there. On the other hand, it's Whistler. Close to the city and you can't stop the tide, so at least try to control it. But you can't stop it in the end.

www.northshorebillet.com

Feb. 27, 2012, 8:01 p.m.

Won't work Sharon, they'll just grandfather in the wooden walking stick. :P

Absofuckinglutely! Only pin-heads riding the hide allowed!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxS9B0IjUQ

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 28, 2012, 3:42 a.m.

i had once a nice chat with an old man living in a hut high in the swiss alpes next to a popular hiking path. in his opinion the hiking poles (when not covered in rubber) cause more erosion then bike tires, as the poles dig in much deeper in the mud and the holes then get filled with water in the next rain, causing the trail to erode. so they need to fix them now much more often compared to earlier times when the hiking poles were not that popular as today.

Feb. 28, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

It's not like that any more. We "pinheads" are mechanized now too. Plastic boots, stainless bindings, free pivot plates. We even use regular ski poles these days.

www.northshorebillet.com

Feb. 28, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

It's not like that any more. We "pinheads" are mechanized now too. Plastic boots, stainless bindings, free pivot plates. We even use regular ski poles these days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Those should be banned too. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pins, no cable, leather boots [HTML_REMOVED] lurk only! Shovel width of ski not to exceed 99mm!

Oct. 17, 2012, 3:48 p.m.

fall update….

draft plan should've been out already, apparently being vetted internally right now, but they have scheduled public open houses…http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/#lower_mainland
November 20, 2012, 4-7PM, Whistler
November 26, 2012, 4-7PM,Vancouver

Oct. 17, 2012, 4:41 p.m.

fall update….

draft plan should've been out already, apparently being vetted internally right now, but they have scheduled public open houses…http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/#lower_mainland
November 20, 2012, 4-7PM, Whistler
November 26, 2012, 4-7PM,Vancouver

Hope this becomes a reality.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 17, 2012, 6:54 p.m.

Nice.
Can't say that the actual trail from the Village to Russet Lake is all that great a ride…a grunt? Yes. And spectacular scenery once you get up there! But I can't say that the actual ride was ever all that fantastic (memories from the 80's).
While the ride from Whistler alpine area is fairly nice, I don't know about the climb from Chekamous side….I've only done that in a straight-out grunt up Chekamous Creek (no bike).