Ride to Singing Pass?

Feb. 13, 2012, 11:50 a.m.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/garibaldi/garibaldi_mp.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 13, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

this is bigger than that….think potential access to proposed spearhead trail and proposed singing creek to cheakamus lake as well….

Feb. 13, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

this is bigger than that….think potential access to proposed spearhead trail and proposed singing creek to cheakamus lake as well….

Oh.. I know this has the potential to go big.

I always thought that would make the perfect loop. I think there always was a rough trail from Cheakamus to the Singing Pass trail on the Whistler side of Cheakamus Lake. Credit has to be given to WORCA who back in the 80's managed to convince BC Parks to allow access on the trail from the Cheakumas parking lot to the lake.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 13, 2012, 12:09 p.m.

Done.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 13, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

hot tip, use your tab key instead of trying to click with your mouse when navigating between boxes….some weird coding thing going on there in the form

Feb. 13, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

Done

Feb. 13, 2012, 2:48 p.m.

This would be amazing and a long time in coming. One concern is that BC parks doesn't have the resources to manage increased used. Too Late.

This area is heavily used.

Include in your comments waste management! Maintained trails and education.

I also added that mountain biking used to be allowed in the park. Due to various reasons, including conflicts with other users it was banned.

One idea is to perhaps allow them only mid week during the busy July/Aug months. This will help to limit conflicts on the busy weekends.

While many people will say that mountain bikers have enough areas to ride, we don't have a lot of alpine to ride. This would change that.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 13, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

One idea is to perhaps allow them only mid week during the busy July/Aug months. This will help to limit conflicts on the busy weekends.

I VERY strongly disagree with this! The alpine season is very short as it is and to only allow access during the week would effectively be treating mountain bikers as second class citizens. It would also 'force' riders to maybe venture out on days when conditions aren't suitable

I guess your suggestion would be fine for anyone lucky enough not to have real job!!

Feb. 13, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

I also added that mountain biking used to be allowed in the park. Due to various reasons, including conflicts with other users it was banned.

The only legal singletrack is the short bit at Cheakamus Lake since about 86 I think. As I recall it was local riders who formed WORCA when they got wind of BC Parks going for complete banning.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 13, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

comments submitted.
legal biking back there would be incredible, as would some huts for easier access to the more distant terrain (which happens to have the best skiing).
i'm in favor of banning snowmobiling, heli-skiing, and hiking back there. that's right, i said hiking, because it sucks, especially the downhill part.

Feb. 13, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

I VERY strongly disagree with this! The alpine season is very short as it is and to only allow access during the week would effectively be treating mountain bikers as second class citizens. It would also 'force' riders to maybe venture out on days when conditions aren't suitable

I guess your suggestion would be fine for anyone lucky enough not to have real job!!

They do this successfully in Montana.

If all mountain bikers respected the right of way rule then it wouldn't be a problem.

How fun would it be riding down the singing pass, or rubble creek or helm creek when you have to stop every 5 minutes to let the many hikers that go up there go by?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 13, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

i'm in favor of banning hiking back there. that's right, i said hiking, because it sucks, especially the downhill part.

Yes!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 13, 2012, 4:21 p.m.

I'm personally pretty open to a multitude of management solutions for access. One way, user fees, opposite days, or seasonal openings (after labour day), or full access….considering we're fully banned at this point, anything is a step in the right direction. And beyond that, there are some real issues that we need to make sure to avoid, such as downhill use on singing pass. I've heard that it's a very high speed descent, lots of blind corners, and that's a safety problem we don't need.

I'm not 100% on this, but on the funding side I've heard talk that money obtained through the Resort Municipality Initiative (hotel tax, kinda) can no longer be used for single use trails, therefore a bunch of stuff that's been hiking only that they're going to use RMI monies to upgrade old or build new has to go multi-use from here on out. This is opening up a whole slew of new opportunities moving forward that have the potential for big things in town. Fully legal alpine singletrack is a huge hole in our mtb trail product as a resort, and this will go a long way towards making us even more world class, in my humble opinion.

Feb. 13, 2012, 4:26 p.m.

Didn't Montana recently loose a whole bunch of it's alpine trails?

Restricting bikes to mid-week would suck.

In order to deal with potential conflict on a small portion of trail it would cut off access to a larger area.

Better education on right of way would be much more beneficial.

The way global warming is going we might start doing the Spearhead traverse by bike.

Feb. 13, 2012, 4:37 p.m.

Whose definition of successful are you using here? I'd guess the Sierra Club (or whoever) would consider removing mountain bikers off the trails a success!

How fun would it be riding down the singing pass, or rubble creek or helm creek when you have to stop every 5 minutes to let the many hikers that go up there go by?

Now if you are suggesting removing hikers off the trail, I'm all for that! ;-) Though my hiking wife wouldn't be too happy!

I understand the point you are making, and yes, this could be a very valuable compromise but it's a 'second best' rather than ideal solution we should at least be asking for at this stage. Also, I think a better approach would be excluding mountain bikes on Sundays but they are Ok on Saturday, or every other day, or every other weekend but not EVERY WEEKEND [Self-interest here: I work Mon-Fri with absolutely no chance of flexibility in my working hours. I know, I know, I should get a better job….and one day I will…]