Ride more, bitch less.

Jan. 9, 2021, 2:17 p.m.

Today I had the chance of a quick spin through my area. Was really good. A bit muddy and snowy and foggy....but so worth it. Every time on a bike is time well spent. 

And....next week back to work. I could work from home but plan on commuting by bike two or three times next week. 2021 starts off gooooooood.

Jan. 9, 2021, 3:47 p.m.

Hope everyone around the lower mainland got out today, really nice out. Went for a good rip and barely got dirty. Boy it’s good to be back.

Jan. 9, 2021, 5:09 p.m.

Glad you are back on the horse, congrats.

Knocked out a number of good ones this week, and a fun dirt moto ride.  January is delivering...

Today I had a rather interesting new-to-me line laid out, like an 80km road+ mostly dirt loop, woke up at 5am with everything packed and ready for a departure in darkness.  Problem is it was damned cold and frozen at my house with black ice on the roads and for one who was going to be riding outward into the treeline and elevation east of SeaTown, it'd only get worse.  January death march rides are always a gamble.... grumble.  Gonna try again tomorrow, supposed to be significantly warmer and still dry... ride smarter and bitch even less... has taken a few years and a lot of burned calories to achieve ;-)

Jan. 10, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

Just got a ride in, took the lights cuz I started at quarter to 4,  rode some unknown but easy stuff in Bert Flinn Park, main light died about 15 minutes in.

Not the worst, but also not the best riding trails I've never ridden before basically in the dark lol

Jan. 19, 2021, 12:03 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Just got a ride in, took the lights cuz I started at quarter to 4,  rode some unknown but easy stuff in Bert Flinn Park, main light died about 15 minutes in.

Not the worst, but also not the best riding trails I've never ridden before basically in the dark lol

Might be a bummer, still better than no ride at all. Been itching to go for a ride today (I can hear the Wheelie and his evil twin, the Manual, calling), but serious gusts of wind and downpours made me stay indoors and surf the net. Oh well....

Feb. 15, 2021, 8:04 p.m.

Pipeline in the snow 360

Feb. 15, 2021, 8:15 p.m.

Seymour was fun today, 3-4 inches of snow at the top of Corkscrew, turning to slush about halfway down Pingu, then in to hardpack slush/ice once I was about half way down Severed, wasn't feeling Empress today but the bypass was also pretty slippery in spots.

Haven't ridden snow in years so it was good to get back on it :)

Last edited by: thaaad on Feb. 15, 2021, 8:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 16, 2021, 5:46 p.m.

forested dreamland up above ^^. could sit in a lawn chair in the woods for hours sun, rain, sleet or snow while sucking in the oxygen and listening to whatever is going on.

agreed, snow is a lot of fun to ride in, especially with modern bikes.  my nephew, son of the guy who built out a bunch of the dark side trails, is going at it pretty hard with his yard ape young gun friends.  cool to watch.

my pref is about an inch or two that's crusted over and high traction. nailed a 5am morning ride down this way in a couple crusted inches on the road+ late last week before the 10in dump hit us.  it was p-P-P-P-Primo on the trails and dirt doubletrack until hitting the patch of black ice on the last stretch of pavement before home.  instantaneous slam and slide = cracked ribs and friction burns.  bitching?  nope, laughed the whole way home and over the past few days in spite of the consequences.

Feb. 16, 2021, 8:19 p.m.

I think an ultimate alternate type of ride would be out of the trees a la chilcotins with fresh snow at night under a full moon and clear skies with no or low power lights to let you  soak up nature's goodness from a completely different perspective.

Feb. 17, 2021, 12:25 a.m.

Posted by: Ned

forested dreamland up above ^^. could sit in a lawn chair in the woods for hours sun, rain, sleet or snow while sucking in the oxygen and listening to whatever is going on.

agreed, snow is a lot of fun to ride in, especially with modern bikes.  my nephew, son of the guy who built out a bunch of the dark side trails, is going at it pretty hard with his yard ape young gun friends.  cool to watch.

my pref is about an inch or two that's crusted over and high traction. nailed a 5am morning ride down this way in a couple crusted inches on the road+ late last week before the 10in dump hit us.  it was p-P-P-P-Primo on the trails and dirt doubletrack until hitting the patch of black ice on the last stretch of pavement before home.  instantaneous slam and slide = cracked ribs and friction burns.  bitching?  nope, laughed the whole way home and over the past few days in spite of the consequences.

Would have been my musings a few weeks ago as well, then some serious cold and snow came after a weekend of freezing rain. After that, everything was covered in ice and, later, snow - and I did not go for a ride, at times it was -15 C ... no fun, not for me. I realize I 

Yesterday, the temp was +9 C .... almost all of the snow gone, and I went for a groceries round on my commuter, only to notice two broken spokes and a few quite loose. Oh well...

March 2, 2021, 9:21 p.m.

More ride time on the frame that has surpassed my skill over and over.  She does not like the Climbing routes.... 

March 3, 2021, 2:13 a.m.

Did my first commute by bike this morning, it was still cold but beautiful. I so look forward to spring. Feel still burned out from my last year's commutes - mtb is way more fun at the moment, plan a mini road trip for the coming weekend. And I am really looking forward to a future park season one fine day, me and my kiddo are itching for some lift-supported air.

March 3, 2021, 5:56 a.m.

Silk, can we get another photo of that bike?  Sweet Cove!

March 3, 2021, 9:11 a.m.

+1 on that old Cove bike. Had a couple Hummers from that period of time.

Mic is onto the scent of blood in the water aka spring time. I dialed it down for a couple weeks after slamming pretty on the ice. Can sleep finally and got back on the old Colnago roadie and dirty drop bar bike for some high qual sunshine time over the past few days. I'll top it off with skipping school (work) for a trail ride later this afternoon in the local trails... so lucky to have such a spread of ride options around here...

Last edited by: Ned on March 3, 2021, 9:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 3, 2021, 9:33 a.m.

Posted by: Ned

+1 on that old Cove bike.  Had a couple Hummers from that period of time.  

Mic is onto the scent of blood in the water aka spring time. I dialed it down for a couple weeks after slamming pretty on the ice. Can sleep finally and got back on the old Colnago roadie and dirty drop bar bike for some high qual sunshine time over the past few days. I'll top it off with skipping school (work) a trail ride later this afternoon in the local trails... so lucky to have such a spread of ride options around here...

Few things better than skipping work to go ride!