Ride more, bitch less.

May 20, 2019, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: rat

Been along time since I dropped by here.  bought a new MTB so I figured I better get back on the ride more bitch less thread.  

been snowbiking, trials biking , Moto riding  but I guess its time to start turning cranks again

What bike did you get?

May 24, 2019, 9:51 a.m.

Bronson silk.  man these new bikes are sweet.  like the fatter lower pressure tires.  coming off trials bikes I hate the rock hard tires mtb's run

May 27, 2019, 8:35 p.m.

Played golf & rode on the same day. Life is good. (Did a lot better on the bike, lol)

May 27, 2019, 8:53 p.m.

Posted by: rat

Bronson silk.  man these new bikes are sweet.  like the fatter lower pressure tires.  coming off trials bikes I hate the rock hard tires mtb's run

I remember back in the day running the michi 2.8's and low pressure for the dh was awesome. aired up for the pedal up and aired down for the ride down. 20psi on cypress was pushing it tho.

May 27, 2019, 9:52 p.m.

Didn't Michelin have a 3.0 for awhile there?

May 28, 2019, 11:04 a.m.

Since getting an e-bike I’ve increased weekly rides 2x, and distance travelled 4x. 

Game changing! 😮

May 28, 2019, 9:37 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Since getting an e-bike I’ve increased weekly rides 2x, and distance travelled 4x.

Game changing! 😮

Might need to change your user name then!😏

Last edited by: Ouch on May 28, 2019, 9:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2019, 2:51 p.m.

🤣He's yanking your chain. 

On another note, it's epic dirt season everywhere. High fives all around after every descent. Can't wait to get out there again ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

May 30, 2019, 12:27 p.m.

anyone out there still freeride? looking to hook up a shuttle this Sunday for cyp/Seymour/etc. can take 4 bikes...

May 31, 2019, 5:25 p.m.

^^ really?

May 31, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

Definitely ride Ned's.

June 1, 2019, 10:30 a.m.

E-rode some super dank provincial park loamers. Can’t wait to climb and destroy them this weekend. \mn/

June 3, 2019, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Played golf & rode on the same day. Life is good. (Did a lot better on the bike, lol)

As someone who loves golf and used to pack them both into a day on a regular basis, that is good living indeed. 6 or 7 am tee time, done before noon, ride in the early afternoon and retire somewhere with a bit of sun and a beer.

Had a quick thought about the second part of your post - that you did a lot better on the bike - and that made me think 'yep, that's me too these days'. But part of that is the quantifiable nature of golf. We don't HAVE to keep score, but we always do. The bike equivalent would be to monitor your speed in real time (a la Strava premium) and judge ourselves 60+ times over the course of a ride ("you suck! what kind of line was that?", "Damn I'm fat and slow" would be 90% of the time, and every now and then: "I am the greatest rider this trail has ever seen (at least in the last hour)").

Which made me go even further down the rabbit hole. Part of the misery of golf is that we obsess with keeping score all the time, but it's not necessary in some ways - and in mountain biking, we're free to enjoy ourselves and play like kids and not worry about bogeys or double bogeys (or losing $5 on a hole). Is this an inherent advantage of a sport like mountain biking? Yes, I think it is.

And lastly, a round of golf for the average hacker can involve a lot of bogeys, double bogeys, etc. Is there an equivalent in golf? If a par is making it through a section of trail according to an arbitrary standard (fairly smooth and fast, no mishaps) then a birdie would be hitting it faster or smoother than usual, or nailing a section you don't normally expect to ride clean. But a bogey, or worse, a double bogey? A come-off, and one with consequences. 

Good thing we don't have that many bogeys on a mountain bike ride.

June 3, 2019, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: Stuminator

As someone who loves golf and used to pack them both into a day on a regular basis, that is good living indeed. 6 or 7 am tee time, done before noon, ride in the early afternoon and retire somewhere with a bit of sun and a beer.

Had a quick thought about the second part of your post - that you did a lot better on the bike - and that made me think 'yep, that's me too these days'. But part of that is the quantifiable nature of golf. We don't HAVE to keep score, but we always do. The bike equivalent would be to monitor your speed in real time (a la Strava premium) and judge ourselves 60+ times over the course of a ride ("you suck! what kind of line was that?", "Damn I'm fat and slow" would be 90% of the time, and every now and then: "I am the greatest rider this trail has ever seen (at least in the last hour)").

Which made me go even further down the rabbit hole. Part of the misery of golf is that we obsess with keeping score all the time, but it's not necessary in some ways - and in mountain biking, we're free to enjoy ourselves and play like kids and not worry about bogeys or double bogeys (or losing $5 on a hole). Is this an inherent advantage of a sport like mountain biking? Yes, I think it is.

And lastly, a round of golf for the average hacker can involve a lot of bogeys, double bogeys, etc. Is there an equivalent in golf? If a par is making it through a section of trail according to an arbitrary standard (fairly smooth and fast, no mishaps) then a birdie would be hitting it faster or smoother than usual, or nailing a section you don't normally expect to ride clean. But a bogey, or worse, a double bogey? A come-off, and one with consequences. 

Good thing we don't have that many bogeys on a mountain bike ride.

I love keeping score on my bike but it's mostly personal. Using the ride tracker on Trailforks is way tidier than Strava. It just records your route and a few key metrics.

But even the scores don't tell the whole story. There are days where it feels like I'm riding really well but the numbers aren't great. Or vice versa. Or I think I'm riding great and some white haired detrained-looking person just blows by me on the climb. All this mismatch reminds me not to take it seriously. The important thing is to keep going out and keep trying a little harder each time, link up sections without a dab, make a climb without stopping, etc. The ongoing process of tiny improvements is what yields real results.

June 3, 2019, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We don't HAVE to keep score, but we always do. The bike equivalent would be to monitor your speed in real time (a la Strava premium) and judge ourselves 60+ times over the course of a ride ("you suck! what kind of line was that?", "Damn I'm fat and slow" would be 90% of the time, and every now and then: "I am the greatest rider this trail has ever seen (at least in the last hour)").

So if you don't have to keep score then why bother? Why not just go out to hit the ball around - no different than say just shooting hoops? I find that riding I often have the critique app running in the background on notable sections of trail - ie riding a tech section clean or dirty or just on how fast I feel going up. However, if riding is supposed to be fun, then IMO the lack of a "formal" scorecard lets you enjoy the ride more - whether you did well or not. I've found that fun rides aren't always "good" ones.