Ride more, bitch less.

Dec. 12, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

Were's that man?  If it's India, which it looks like it could be, just ripping around in a town on a bike is amazing - all of a sudden all those things that get in your way while every second of life in India aren't a problem anymore; just don't touch the brakes and an opening always appears...it's like surfing traffic/humanity...

Dec. 19, 2017, 6:26 a.m.

^^ Si, correcto, southwest Delhi. Very well stated.  Without a doubt you have done it too.

Rode my bike to work and back in the Seatown car wash yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. Oh man... long overdue.

Dec. 19, 2017, 2:46 p.m.

I did a supported tour from Agra to Kanyakmari and loved riding a bike there. By far my favorite way to see a foreign country, particularly the poor ones.

I found myself in Toronto when I got home - really had to stop just riding into the middle of intersections and THEN figuring out where to go. That’s dangerous over here!

Last edited by: tashi on Dec. 19, 2017, 2:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 20, 2017, 7:33 a.m.

That's an outstanding slice of humanity you saw, let alone the countryside. I really like the southern ghats, been a couple+ decades since I've been through them.

If anything, once you have been exposed to life and its accompanying friction there, it really amplifies the notion of ride more and bitch less.

Dec. 20, 2017, 8:40 p.m.

I'm absolutely hooked on India, so many different cultures, so many people, so much going on everywhere and always, always wanting to interact with the foreigner in front of them. I really feel like if you want to really see the state of where the human species is at, India will give you a better idea than any western or highly developed Asian country.  Turns out basically every person in Canada and the US that's not on reserve or the worst of the inner city is actually fucking loaded! I have a dream that I'll be able to convince the wife to take our new kid out of school for half a year before she's a teenager and live there so she can really see how humanity actually lives and how lucky she's been to be born when and where she was.  I really want to go back. Again and again. Gotta get to the himalaya, and out to Kolkata, and then back down to the beauty of Kerela, and and and...

The ride was awesome, and I can't say enough good things about Tour d'Afrique as a guiding company. Wife and I did a blog for our tours (also did a short one in Honduras and Guatemala) if anyone's interested: https://peacocksride.wordpress.com/

Last edited by: tashi on Dec. 20, 2017, 8:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 22, 2017, 7:03 a.m.

I like the way you think. Though I haven't taken my boys to India yet, they've received a similar 'education' from me all along. 

Keep on riding, we both know there's truly very little to bitch about in the grand scheme of things.

Happy holidays riding cohorts.

Feb. 11, 2018, 3:08 p.m.

Had my first MTB ride in 2018 yesterday. Lots of singletrack at a friend's place. Smooth and twisty trails. Some rockface roll-downs. 

I am slowly getting back on track, still take it easy though. 

Right now I have no reason to bitch. Life is good. I need a new car but am taking it one step at a time. No reason to worry, freak out or get hectic.

Feb. 11, 2018, 9:19 p.m.

I agree. Life is good. Third ride on the new bike Saturday. Got some fresh tracks in the snow near the top. Beautiful weather, crisp & cool. We are so lucky to live in the best part of the world known for the best mountain biking.

Thread killer

Feb. 13, 2018, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I agree. Life is good. Third ride on the new bike Saturday. Got some fresh tracks in the snow near the top. Beautiful weather, crisp & cool. We are so lucky to live in the best part of the world known for the best mountain biking.

Well, to be honest I could punch you for that 'best part' thing.

I always wanted to live in BC but decided to marry and have a kid along with a nice house on some sweet property with a woman I thought I grow old with. Too bad she did not see it the same way.

Oh well....my son is great and loves riding as much as I do. I am healthy and have a rather well-paid job. I got three bikes and good and trusty friends. Who knows if I have the chance to spend a few weeks in BC every year one day? Or even move there as part of my personal retirement plan.

Yesterday I showed my kid a few of Digger's movies and nearly cried. He was happy and asked me when he'd be old and skilled enough to ride the easy trails on the Shore, in Whistler and Kamloops. Awesome.

So, yeah...life is still good.

Last edited by: Mic on Feb. 13, 2018, 10:52 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 14, 2018, 5:33 p.m.

^^ nothing to bitch about, nope, no way.

I need 6 more hours a day on the clock so I can fit everything in and keep the machine fed so to speak. Not bitching, just want more time to ride....

Feb. 15, 2018, 1:01 p.m.

True. Nothing to bitch about. 

Over here in Tchermany I am really waiting for the weather to turn just a wee bit so I can at least do a few easy road rides.

Last edited by: Mic on Feb. 17, 2018, 3:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2018, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I agree. Life is good. Third ride on the new bike Saturday...

Riding a new bike really is what's best in life isn't it? Just pure childish joy.

Bumped into Wade Simmons hiking, and he randomly stopped and gave my kids and I his full attention for like 5 minutes. I'm putting that guy on the in best in life list too. It's like he opens his mouth and sunshine pours out. Think I saw him fart a rainbow.

I know you all see him so often you avoid him in the grocery store, but for someone who now lives 3000 miles away it's a hyperventilating celebrity moment.

March 3, 2018, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

True. Nothing to bitch about.

Don't hold your breath..... https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/28/germany-holds-its-breath/

March 3, 2018, 9:31 p.m.

^^ this ain't NBR, do your thing there, this is about riding

The new bike lane on the 520 bridge over Lake Washington is the crown jewel that opens up a LOT of options to get into the core of the city or peel off a lap of the north or south end of the lake. Imagine just having one of either 1st or 2nd Narrows bridges to get the Shore to Van city ride business done.... and then the other was added after too many years of waiting.

Last edited by: Ned on March 3, 2018, 9:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2018, 8:57 a.m.

Just had our first day of temps above 6 deg celsius. Efging sweet. Went for a road ride, crushed an old personal record and felt like a rocket on my trusty commuter. A bit tense in the lower back but some rehab movements smooth that out. 

A cold one and a sip of Woodford Reserve later. 

Tomorrow to the gym after work. Yeah!