Richard Juryn Trail Day And Festival - Saturday, July 19th

July 1, 2008, 11 a.m.

Bring the whole family to come out and help build Richard Juryn's
special trail! Our membership and others have raised funds for
this day to happen in memory of our great friend and fellow NSMBA
director. The District of North Vancouver, the City of North
Vancouver, and Metro Vancouver, working in conjunction with the
NSMBA, are now able to offer a day to complete Richard's trail.
We've planned a huge festival at Inter River Park, with food and
entertainment, and a chance for local bike businesses and related
trail and safety awareness groups to show off their services. A
special sign dedication honoring Richard will take place at the
end of the day.

at http://www.richardjuryntrails.com/

Date: Saturday, July 19th

Time: 10:00am

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

July 1, 2008, 1:17 p.m.

Proposed route for the trail:

July 1, 2008, 8:31 p.m.

I'd love to say I'll be out for it, but I know for sure I will actually have a newborn by then. Next time, perhaps.

July 4, 2008, 11:03 a.m.

This is going to turn into a great little after work ride and super area to learn how to ride! Put it in your calendars!

July 4, 2008, 11:28 a.m.

I'll try and make it as I can't attend Sunday build days due to work.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 4, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

I'll try and make it as I can't attend Sunday build days due to work.

good thing it's on a Saturday!

July 4, 2008, 12:52 p.m.

I will be there…

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

July 9, 2008, 11:38 a.m.

July 10, 2008, 6:38 p.m.

We are looking for a dozen people to come out on a prehike so the vision of the trail is known by all. We're expecting 250 people (plenty of non-riders as well) with the advertising being done (see NS News and CBC), and we need you to be work area leaders that can help guide the public to get the job done.

Please let me know that you will join us on July 16 at 6:30 PM for a trail day pre-hike. Meet at the first gate just north of the cemetary which is the main entrance to the LSCR. (This is the first gate where Lilloet Rd turns into gravel on the way north - there's a small parking area).

PM me if you'd like to join, and help remember a guy who lived for putting on MTB events in the area.

July 11, 2008, 6:50 p.m.

What percentage of the Richard Juryn Trail will be a gravel path? Looks like 70[HTML_REMOVED]#37; or greater from the map, or should I come out to the trail day to haul gravel to find out myself.

Also I didn't know Richard was into gravel paths. Learn something new every day!

July 11, 2008, 8:49 p.m.

His vision was Tin Pants in Whistler, and that's what we're building on. Here's a video if you haven't ridden the trail:

http://www.venturacountytrails.org/Movies/Whistler2005/TinPantsSteadied.mpg

Here's a quote from a discussion we had with Richard before his passing:

"I actually have a meeting that I am putting together with the folks from the LSCR to look at this area, amongst others, as a starting point for a true beginner area.

I think that we could put a good sum of money together towards this (I have a plan for this as well) and put in a trail like "Tin Pants" at Whistler. A true beginner trail that is fun for anyone from rank beginners to even beginning experts

I think that if we managed to get this trail system in that it would be an amazing "wow" for the rest of the North Shore and we could actually see some dollars, time and effort going into this initiative from some of the other jurisdictions.
The key for me is to build it right from the word go. Designed, constructed and topped properly so that it is virtually maintenance free. I managed to drag Richard Walton, James Ridge and Susan Rogers up to Whistler on mtn bikes for the day last year hosted by RMOW parks and Mayor Ken Melamed.
Some of the key findings were that 1 - the trails were fairly expensive to put in and 2 - that in the almost 4 year since they have gone in that there has been zero maintenance.
Really, really key. " - R. Juryn, 2007/10/03

See you there!

July 14, 2008, 7:41 p.m.

The other thing Richard was king of is sponsorship, and we've found some swag for Saturday that would make him proud!

Get this…

2 nights accomodation in a one bedroom, Blackcomb slope-side condo at the Aspens, courtesy of Wedgewood Ventures! And two bike park passes and rentals from Whistler Blackcomb!

July 14, 2008, 8:06 p.m.

Hi

I am assuming that the down hill portion of Camp Brick is going to left the way that it is. Is this a correct assumption? It would be awful if it was covered in gravel.

Master of Puppets

July 16, 2008, 2:49 p.m.

that's the existing cross country trail shown on the map. I'm pretty sure it's being left alone, or even upgraded (without gravel)

don't forget - we're all mountain bikers. :)

July 16, 2008, 6:13 p.m.

full day of overtime pay for me at the LSCR - suckers. you're all going to shovel gravel for free!