Revitalizing the CBC trail on Seymour

Sept. 6, 2021, 7:50 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator
It's usually closed all winter. I wonder if that will change?

Doubt it.

The main reason for winter closure is the amount of water and snow up there which destroys trail-work. Its Metro who closes it annually, and they're paying for the new work.

Last edited by: heckler on Sept. 6, 2021, 7:51 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 8, 2021, 9:17 a.m.

Has anyone seen the RFP for the trail work? I'm interested in what MetroVan has included in the scope of work...That will really determine what DreamWizards can build. 

I've seen a couple of the DreamWizards Instagram posts...but don't have an instagram account, so can't watch many of them.

May 12, 2022, 3:55 p.m.

Looks to be open for business

May 13, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Zowsch

Sweet! Thanks for the update, I've been waiting for that. Too bad it's happening during one of the wettest springs I can remember.

May 14, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: Zowsch

Sweet! Thanks for the update, I've been waiting for that. Too bad it's happening during one of the wettest springs I can remember.

Yeah poor luck for them weather wise. Not sure why they opened it honestly, maybe contractually obligated. 

I checked it out yesterday trying to ride as gently as I could. There's lots of armor (they've done a nice job on new stuff and repairing the old stuff) but lots was really soft and getting pounded.

May 15, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

not sure why NSMBA was promoting this on the socials with all the rain...  and having an enduro race in the rain?  Not a good message and going to create more work.

May 15, 2022, 2:08 p.m.

No gerbil cage 2.0, but I wasn't expecting one either.

May 18, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

It's pretty muddy up there. I'm going to give it a few weeks before heading back.

May 18, 2022, 10:43 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

It's pretty muddy up there. I'm going to give it a few weeks before heading back.

No doubt it would be! They should have delayed the opening to preserve the  soil work. I'm shocked how many people don't give 2 shits about riding in monsoon conditions these days.

Last edited by: mammal on May 18, 2022, 10:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2022, 5:32 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: skooks

No doubt it would be! They should have delayed the opening to preserve the  soil work. I'm shocked how many people don't give 2 shits about riding in monsoon conditions these days.

I'm actually not surprised....  parking lots were full on Sunday with pouring rain.  Bikers suck.

May 24, 2022, 3 p.m.

Went up there yesterday to check it out. It's actually in surprisingly good shape considering how bad I heard it was. I went in fully expecting to walk the entire trail, but there were only three particularly bad sections where it was would be damaging to ride. Overall I thought the trail work was pretty good; I hated the old CBC and I could see myself riding this occasionally!

May 24, 2022, 3:06 p.m.

Posted by: Coiler

Went up there yesterday to check it out. It's actually in surprisingly good shape considering how bad I heard it was. I went in fully expecting to walk the entire trail, but there were only three particularly bad sections where it was would be damaging to ride. Overall I thought the trail work was pretty good; I hated the old CBC and I could see myself riding this occasionally!

Parts of the old CBC suffered from what I think has been an issue with a lot of trails for a long time - corners that are too tight for their specific section of trail. Those sections definitely took (take) away from the experience of the trail as a whole - ie busting the flow. What's made that worse is as bikes have changed and gotten longer those out of place tight corners have become even troublesome. Don't know if I'll make it up to CBC this year to see how things have changed.

Jan. 24, 2023, 7:53 a.m.

Is CBC open in winter now? Trailforks has no indication of it being closed.

Jan. 24, 2023, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: hotlapz

Is CBC open in winter now? Trailforks has no indication of it being closed.

sign at bottom of mtn says it's closed.  It would be treacherous in the wet snow.