Revitalizing the CBC trail on Seymour

June 18, 2021, 7:14 p.m.

CN seems like it would be a pretty good gravel bike route.

Aug. 30, 2021, 3:44 p.m.

Maybe I missed this but if you didn't know, DreamWizards got the contract for CBC re-build. 

(Source: their Instagram page a couple of weeks ago) 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSPVUITl3dp/?utm_medium=copy_link

And apparently Ken Melamed is doing some of the rockwork 

Here's a sample of Ken's work:

https://youtu.be/F9IBEBSmRLc

So maybe a reason to be optimistic about Metro Van??

Aug. 30, 2021, 7:35 p.m.

This needed to be done. Glad to hear the rebuild is in good hands.

Aug. 30, 2021, 8:21 p.m.

From what I've seen in videos Ken does amazing work that speaks for itself, and Dreamwizards is a cut above.

Great news IMO.

Sept. 2, 2021, 12:40 p.m.

If you follow Dream Wizards on instagram, Ted has posted some clips of Ken doing rock work on CBC, looks awesome as always. Was stoked to see they were involved after the fear of "IMBA Canada".

Sept. 2, 2021, 6:28 p.m.

I wonder if they will restore some of the older lines that have been slowly removed over the years or cut any new ones, I suppose it depends their definition of "restoration"

Sept. 2, 2021, 7:01 p.m.

I would not hold my breath on a gerbil cage rebuild.

Sept. 2, 2021, 8:02 p.m.

One can hope lol, at least rebuilding those two optional lines on the left over the swamp and on the right after the tree seems reasonable as they were more recently torn down

Sept. 3, 2021, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: ben.rogers

One can hope lol, at least rebuilding those two optional lines on the left over the swamp and on the right after the tree seems reasonable as they were more recently torn down

I never rode the line over the swamp, it was already chainsawed apart the first time I rode CBC, but I've tried to stand on its remnants on a rainy winter day, and it was slippery like greased ice. Was it a dry-weather-only feature, or did it just get mildewy after the vandalism?

I'd be happy with just the disintegrating rock on the trail being patched up, even without the cool features coming back.

I like hard rocky tech riding, but I'm not sure that the transitions in the trail were meant to be that rock-gardeny, I'd be happy to help with any efforts to repair them, but I'm not sure who's doing the work, if anyone. It'd be nice to see the side trails shut down, too, I've seen whole caravans of riders cutting off the trail and riding (skidding) their way through the forest to avoid riding the trail :-(.

Sept. 3, 2021, 3:36 p.m.

@samroberts

Maybe ping DreamWizards on Instagram and ask about helping out? They are doing some work but I have no idea whether it's just spot work on certain areas, or whether the whole trail is being over-hauled...

Sept. 3, 2021, 8:07 p.m.

Here's a video of the trail near the end of its former glory

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/91827/

*I'll message the Instagram page as well and see of they could use some extra hands

Last edited by: Abrenus on Sept. 3, 2021, 8:11 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 4, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

Posted by: samroberts

I like hard rocky tech riding, but I'm not sure that the transitions in the trail were meant to be that rock-gardeny,

Rock Garden is not a phrase used by trailbuilders on the shore when referring to something they intended to build.    Its something that happens after years of neglect and erosion.  

Dream Wizards is doing a great job, I’m sure, based on their IG

Sept. 4, 2021, 10:01 a.m.

Posted by: samroberts

I never rode the line over the swamp, it was already chainsawed apart the first time I rode CBC, but I've tried to stand on its remnants on a rainy winter day, and it was slippery like greased ice. Was it a dry-weather-only feature, or did it just get mildewy after the vandalism?

As I recall that line was all weather.

CBC had so much traffic back then, nothing got mossy or green. They had a counter at the trail head at one point. The amount of riders hitting CBC on an average weekend was staggering.

Sept. 5, 2021, 7:28 a.m.

Their Instagram has me all hot and bothered for some CBC now. Some serious quality trail building going on up there.

Sept. 5, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

It's usually closed all winter. I wonder if that will change?