Revitalizing the CBC trail on Seymour

June 10, 2021, 9:05 p.m.

I could never figure out why they'd have a blue trail (Upper Dale's) lead into a black trail (Dale's). Totally different type of trail.

I hope they do fix up CBC, but I hope they keep it the same as it is now. It is a North Shore fixture & should be kept in good shape. Too bad they don't make it like it used to be (gerbil cage), but that will never happen.

June 10, 2021, 10:56 p.m.

Is the "Hiking Loop" adjacent to Ned's something that is likely to be implemented or just a concept?

June 11, 2021, 7:25 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I could never figure out why they'd have a blue trail (Upper Dale's) lead into a black trail (Dale's). Totally different type of trail.

I hope they do fix up CBC, but I hope they keep it the same as it is now. It is a North Shore fixture & should be kept in good shape. Too bad they don't make it like it used to be (gerbil cage), but that will never happen.

There is so much terrain adjacent to CBC it's too bad they can't give CBC a review but also build a new line nearby with a different vibe.

June 11, 2021, 7:33 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

This is what I saw in the 2018 plan

"Dale’s Trail Improvements:
Consider upgrading lower sections to flow better with
section 1 of Dale’s to provide a cohesive user experience
from top to bottom."

I think upgrading Section 1 to flow better with lower sections of Dales to provide a cohesive user experience from top to bottom would be a lot easier and more cost effective.

June 11, 2021, 1 p.m.

I've always laughed at the 'CBC CLOSED' signs in the winter. Of all the trails to close in the wet season they choose the most rocky unmaintained trail there is?

June 11, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: bingobus

from top to bottom."

I think upgrading Section 1 to flow better with lower sections of Dales to provide a cohesive user experience from top to bottom would be a lot easier and more cost effective.

Riders can get a more consistent experience by exiting Upper Dale's to Dale's connector and then head anywhere else in the network, but it wasn't really a good option in 2018 when Metro published their plan.

Since then, Dale's "Connector Connector" was properly built and Dale's Connector rerouted to make it a friendlier climb for those who wanted to ride Upper Dale's but not continue down the rest of Dale's. Metro didn't permit the Connector Connector work until NSMBA had an agreement with RST for the CMHC lands because Metro felt they couldn't have a trail of theirs connect to a trail (Dale's Connector) managed by another land manager.

June 11, 2021, 5:18 p.m.

Like a few others have noted, berms made from a combination of marbles and baby heads are not my idea of a good time. I just don't get the sense that the soil or geography or whatever in that spot is well suited for that type of trail, at least not without being high maintenance. Rest of Dale's is perfect. Needs nothing. Love it.

June 11, 2021, 7:34 p.m.

Posted by: mudhoney

from top to bottom."

Riders can get a more consistent experience by exiting Upper Dale's to Dale's connector and then head anywhere else in the network, but it wasn't really a good option in 2018 when Metro published their plan.

Since then, Dale's "Connector Connector" was properly built and Dale's Connector rerouted to make it a friendlier climb for those who wanted to ride Upper Dale's but not continue down the rest of Dale's. Metro didn't permit the Connector Connector work until NSMBA had an agreement with RST for the CMHC lands because Metro felt they couldn't have a trail of theirs connect to a trail (Dale's Connector) managed by another land manager.

I'm a little lost here. Dales connector as I know it is the trail from just above power lines that lets you avoid Upper Dales (I joke but honestly could not figure out why it got worked on until I realised people might want to ride it in the other direction) yes? But what are you calling "connector connector"?

Last edited by: bingobus on June 11, 2021, 7:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 11, 2021, 8 p.m.

I'm a little lost here. Dales connector as I know it is the trail from just above power lines that lets you avoid Upper Dales (I joke but honestly could not figure out why it got worked on until I realised people might want to ride it in the other direction) yes? But what are you calling "connector connector"?

You can see it on trailforks - it cuts off the last bit of upper Dale's and connects to Dales' connector. In reality Dale's connector is more of a Dale's bail out as it doesn't connect to Dale's , it connects to Mushroom Trail. It should probably be renamed Mushroom Connector of just given it's own name altogether, like Delilah or something.

June 11, 2021, 8:40 p.m.

Yep, as Syncro says,the "connector connector" just cuts of the last corner of Upper Dale's to make it easier for folks to turn toward Dale's Connector and ride up it (so they don't have to ride the rest of Dale's.. previously folks would miss the sharp left turn and then end up stopped and blocking the trail to the rest of Dale's. It had previously been roughly cut in for BCBR but Metro initially didn't want it to be a permanent option. The bit of Dale's Connector that it bypasses remains open for folks riding down Dale's Connector and for runner's who come up Dale's as it's probably not a good idea to encourage foot traffic up Upper Dale's.

According to Trailforks, the majority of traffic on Dale's Connector is uphill (80%ish).

A few of us proposed building a trail connecting over to Upper Severed (rather than having to fully climb back up and then bomb down the Powerline). Ride upper Dale's, take the Connector Connector, pedal up a little, and cruise on singletrack right to the Upper Severed trailhead.

June 11, 2021, 10:20 p.m.

A few of us proposed building a trail connecting over to Upper Severed (rather than having to fully climb back up and then bomb down the Powerline). Ride upper Dale's, take the Connector Connector, pedal up a little, and cruise on singletrack right to the Upper Severed trailhead.

Great idea - in the words of Nike "Just do it". Yes I know that's a bad idea...however...

You builders do such an amazing job - thank you for all you do. It is truly unfortunate that we seem to have so very many barriers to increase MTB accessibility and usability in our amazing backyard.

June 12, 2021, 8:11 a.m.

Bike GANG Gang riding down the Connector Connector to bypass upper Dales.  lol

So who has emailed their input to Metro yet?

June 12, 2021, 10:42 p.m.

According to Trailforks, the majority of traffic on Dale's Connector is uphill (80%ish).

That is shocking to me. The best thing about upper dales is that it takes you to lower dales. I've never crashed on lower dales, but upper....those marbles took me out hard on a flat corner. What a moronic trail. I can only hope that they leave some gnar on the CBC.

June 13, 2021, 7:48 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

. I can only hope that they leave some gnar on the CBC.

Email your thoughts to [email protected]

Or else keep hopelessly hoping they’ll take care of it.  Which they won’t.

June 14, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: RAHrider

. I can only hope that they leave some gnar on the CBC.

Email your thoughts to [email protected]

Or else keep hopelessly hoping they’ll take care of it. Which they won’t.

Done...not sure what Metros processes are.

Do they walk thru the trail themselves and detail the specific work they want a trail builder to do, or do they sub-contract out the entire trail upkeep to a trail builder and take a more hands-off approach?

Anyway, I've asked whether they can share the plans for CBC- I don't want to go in guns blazing to start off with!

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on June 14, 2021, noon, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Move the conversation back to CBC!