Recreation Trails Strategy Review Survey

Jan. 14, 2020, 8:23 a.m.

The province has created a trails strategy survey with regards to trail maintenance, funding, development, user conflict and their vision statement.

https://feedback.engage.gov.bc.ca/355168?lang=en&fbclid=IwAR1DfY0o7Fc71liniBvLUBX42uMQJJ_lOeyrH-DI2Xv6lfwsUg_AdwZXmIM

"In 2019, the PTAB (Provincial Trails Advisory Body), in collaborations with Recreation Sites and Trails B.C., began a process to complete a formal review of the Trails Strategy for B.C. to ensure the continued relevance and importance of the Trails Strategy to recreationists, communities, First Nations, tourism proponents and the province as a whole.

This work will include:

Talking to key stakeholders from across the outdoor recreation sector and government,

Gathering information and feedback from a variety of trail users throughout the province,

Researching literature on the importance and value of trails,

Identifying trends in trail usage including challenges and benefits, and;

Determining the status of implementation of the Trails Strategy’s 22 Action Items."

Jan. 16, 2020, 10:36 p.m.

Done. Not a short survey!

Jan. 17, 2020, 10:39 a.m.

done

I wonder how it will be used?

Jan. 17, 2020, 1:15 p.m.

Done. Hopefully mo money for trails

Jan. 22, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

done

I wonder how it will be used?

Well I may be off line but judging from the questions they are asking it seems like they're gearing up for more funding/management for recreational trails in BC and how they are going to allocate that. They seem to be deciding between increasing maintenance, increasing accessibility, proper trail design, proper trail usage or increasing enforcement.

I picked through the survey again and below are my notes of some of the questions they're asking:

- Do you construct/maintain trails

- Amount of use and who with (family, friends, etc.)

- What types of trails you use(ie. Crown land, district trails, private, etc.)

- If you participate in trail tourism (travelling to other areas in BC to recreate)

- Getting an idea of how people perceive changing demographics of trails, increased impact, density, demographics, role of transportation

- Rating:

• Over usage
  • Conflicting user groups
  • Lack of trail accessibility
  • Enforcement
  • Awareness of proper trail usage
  • Unsustainable trail use leading to degradation
  • Construction and maintenance standards

- Rating the benefits of trail systems to yourself

- Rating different ideas for what can be done to improve trail systems in BC

- Rating the importance of specific barriers to participating in trail activity in BC

- Personal Barriers

- Rating different funding model ideas for recreation

- Questions regarding resource road use in relation to recreation

Last edited by: cbennett on Jan. 23, 2020, 8:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting
Feb. 2, 2020, 8:37 a.m.

Done. Thanks for the reminder! 

I have to say i'm kinda surprised that safety for trail users wasn't an explicit focus. Given the increase in trail usage (esp for the instagram-popular ones) and the crazy number of NSR calls every year, usually from grossly unprepared hikers heading into backcountry, safety should be a priority.