Recommend me a Fromme lap (or two) for my GF

Aug. 28, 2018, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Posted by: Rainmaker

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Timv

+1 for Circuit 8, or maybe Burnaby Mountain?

+1 for Burnaby Mountain. I took some noobs there with good results. The trail features are widely spaced apart and the grades are pretty mellow so they can deal with one challenge at a time. Never underestimate how terrifying and difficult this activity is, especially when you're dealing with a romantic partner.

Yeah, thats exactly it. I feel Half Nelson or Bobseld would be great intros.... but all evidence and experience to the contrary! 

Any trails on Burnaby mountain that you'd recommend? In my limited experience there, Ive found it hard to 'figure out'? (i.e., everything from where to park to a good loop/sequence).

Park at the top of North road.  Nice moderate trails are all found in that lower area.  No need to climb up the mountain.

IIRC you park on North Rd just north of Chapman. The gravel road cut the N Road Trail in two. If you head south it leads to Jim's Jungle which you can ride back or loop back on the gravel road. Or head north on the N Road Trail. It's on a pretty level grade. Both options would be good starting points for a noob - though I'd go preride them first.

Aug. 28, 2018, 3:30 p.m.

Short story is, my GF is relatively new to mountainbiking and its been a year since her last . She really wants to enjoy it, but is feeling scared after her last outing. I dont know the North Shore mountains as well as most of you, so would love your suggestions for a nice and simple lap that could build her confidence. Something akin to the Corners in Squamish would be great.

Fromme preferred, but Im open.

Im sure others have been in a similar situation before with someone getting into the sport, significant other or otherwise. Just trying to make this as pleasant as possible, so I dont end up sleeping on the couch and having to post her bike on CL.

Thanks in advance!

As so many times before in other threads, make sure she has a good bike. An old 2" Travel, 10 year old trail bike won't cut it.

The better the bike, the easier the transition to becoming a better rider.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Aug. 28, 2018, 3:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 28, 2018, 4:44 p.m.

Burnaby is great, took the wife there a few times and agree on the North Road parking and just lapping the flat trails there. Bobsled and Half Nelson seem like they would be good, but for never-evers they are way too steep (seems crazy once you are experienced, but they have some grade on them!), it's hard for newbs to learn the fundamentals if they are panic braking.

Aug. 29, 2018, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Burnaby is great, took the wife there a few times and agree on the North Road parking and just lapping the flat trails there. Bobsled and Half Nelson seem like they would be good, but for never-evers they are way too steep (seems crazy once you are experienced, but they have some grade on them!), it's hard for newbs to learn the fundamentals if they are panic braking.

This. For people who have never ridden before, cruising downhill standing up can be surprisingly scary and even a moderate downhill grade can be terrifying. For the never-evers I've taken out (thanks for that term) pedalling on level trails was a good starting point. TLDR; they are way more scared of basic stuff than you think.

Aug. 29, 2018, 2:53 p.m.

yeah, trying to find appropriate trails for my 9yr old is definitely harder than usual. The speed thing is a big issue and like you say, easily overlooked by more experienced riders.
Wonderland in Squamish is an excellent trail as well.
I'm definitely going to take the kid to Burnaby as she enjoys the Burnaby skills park too

Aug. 29, 2018, 3:24 p.m.

Speed can be your friend when mountain biking, but try & tell a beginner that.

Thread killer

Aug. 30, 2018, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: craw

IIRC you park on North Rd just north of Chapman. The gravel road cut the N Road Trail in two. If you head south it leads to Jim's Jungle which you can ride back or loop back on the gravel road. Or head north on the N Road Trail. It's on a pretty level grade. Both options would be good starting points for a noob - though I'd go preride them first.

Thanks for this. I might give this a go by myself tonight (you're right, a pre-ride is always a good idea!). Looks like I could do a few laps pretty quickly .... though thats just me looking at a map, so who knows! haha.

Aug. 31, 2018, 5:07 p.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

Try the Delta Water Shed. It's one of the few legitimate XC areas that I've come across in Greater Van. Took my wife on a few rides there and she enjoyed it. Mellow grade, short trails, smooth and flowy. Perfect spot to build confidence (there are also a few jump trails and features there as well).

This is intriguing. Never would've thought of this. I just looked up the maps on Trail Forks but any other info would be super useful, thanks!

I can't remember any specific trails unfortunately. We just rode around aimlessly and it worked out :p

Sept. 2, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

I'd enter the trail system behind the fire station. Mostly downhill from there, and it's a scenic bit of trail.