Recommend me a Fromme lap (or two) for my GF

Aug. 25, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

Short story is, my GF is relatively new to mountainbiking and its been a year since her last . She really wants to enjoy it, but is feeling scared after her last outing. I dont know the North Shore mountains as well as most of you, so would love your suggestions for a nice and simple lap that could build her confidence. Something akin to the Corners in Squamish would be great. 

Fromme preferred, but Im open. 

Im sure others have been in a similar situation before with someone getting into the sport, significant other or otherwise. Just trying to make this as pleasant as possible, so I dont end up sleeping on the couch and having to post her bike on CL. 

Thanks in advance!

Aug. 25, 2018, 9:19 p.m.

Lots of beginner stuff now in the lower sections. 

Start with a Roadside attraction run.  If she likes that you could move on to Upper griffin.

If upper griffin is good, and she does not mind climbing single track you can tack on King of the Shore or lower griffin.  King of the shore can be climbed back to the water tower. 

If all is still good then a bobsled lap is nice.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Aug. 26, 2018, 10:06 a.m.

You could also hit up Circuit 8 in lower Seymour as start. 

Honestly, Ive been though this in the past and my #1 recommendation would be to sign her up for a beginner women’s class and keep your distance until she has found her bearings. When things go awry, and they will, it’s just better that you’re not there. She will try to do more than she probably should and not tell you that she’s scared, and also too soon, and you’re not going to be as helpful and understanding.  And That will be the end of her wanting to mtb.

Aug. 26, 2018, 7:49 p.m.

Why does it have to be the Shore? There are lots of spectacular places out there that are very newbie friendly....for instance Whistler has some great trails around Lost Lake.

Aug. 26, 2018, 10:38 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Why does it have to be the Shore? There are lots of spectacular places out there that are very newbie friendly....for instance Whistler has some great trails around Lost Lake.

Lost Lake is really the best for this. Shore is really bad unfortunately for beginners. Hard for them to ride for 1-2 hours and get into the flow without just repeating Roadside etc.

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 26, 2018, 10:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 27, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

+1 for Circuit 8, or maybe Burnaby Mountain?

Aug. 27, 2018, 12:49 p.m.

Posted by: Timv

+1 for Burnaby Mountain. I took some noobs there with good results. The trail features are widely spaced apart and the grades are pretty mellow so they can deal with one challenge at a time. Never underestimate how terrifying and difficult this activity is, especially when you're dealing with a romantic partner.

Aug. 27, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: craw

+1 for Burnaby Mountain. I took some noobs there with good results. The trail features are widely spaced apart and the grades are pretty mellow so they can deal with one challenge at a time. Never underestimate how terrifying and difficult this activity is, especially when you're dealing with a romantic partner.

+1 for Burnaby.  Easy parking and access off North road.

Aug. 27, 2018, 1:46 p.m.

Try the Delta Water Shed. It's one of the few legitimate XC areas that I've come across in Greater Van. Took my wife on a few rides there and she enjoyed it. Mellow grade, short trails, smooth and flowy. Perfect spot to build confidence (there are also a few jump trails and features there as well).

Aug. 27, 2018, 3 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Yep, totally agree. IMO, Squamish is the best place for a newbie to get started... but Im biased having lived there for a while. I was just looking for something that would minimize the driving.

Aug. 27, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

Yeah, thats exactly it. I feel Half Nelson or Bobseld would be great intros.... but all evidence and experience to the contrary! 

Any trails on Burnaby mountain that you'd recommend? In my limited experience there, Ive found it hard to 'figure out'? (i.e., everything from where to park to a good loop/sequence).

Aug. 27, 2018, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

You could also hit up Circuit 8 in lower Seymour as start. 

Honestly, Ive been though this in the past and my #1 recommendation would be to sign her up for a beginner women’s class and keep your distance until she has found her bearings. When things go awry, and they will, it’s just better that you’re not there. She will try to do more than she probably should and not tell you that she’s scared, and also too soon, and you’re not going to be as helpful and understanding.  And That will be the end of her wanting to mtb.

Fully agree on the class... she's keen to do that - but the season has kinda gotten away from us due to injuries and travel. 

Circuit 8 looks like a good option.... but it also, from maps, seems like a bit of a maze? Is it relatively easy to follow once you're on/in it?

Aug. 27, 2018, 3:07 p.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

Try the Delta Water Shed. It's one of the few legitimate XC areas that I've come across in Greater Van. Took my wife on a few rides there and she enjoyed it. Mellow grade, short trails, smooth and flowy. Perfect spot to build confidence (there are also a few jump trails and features there as well).

This is intriguing. Never would've thought of this. I just looked up the maps on Trail Forks but any other info would be super useful, thanks!

Aug. 27, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

Richard Juryn trail is great for newbies. I see groups of small kids being coached there quite a bit.

Aug. 27, 2018, 7:33 p.m.

Posted by: Rainmaker

Yeah, thats exactly it. I feel Half Nelson or Bobseld would be great intros.... but all evidence and experience to the contrary! 

Any trails on Burnaby mountain that you'd recommend? In my limited experience there, Ive found it hard to 'figure out'? (i.e., everything from where to park to a good loop/sequence).

Park at the top of North road.  Nice moderate trails are all found in that lower area.  No need to climb up the mountain.