RCMP Press Release RE Skull Arrest

Jan. 7, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

Here's what I had to say.

in recent months I made sure to examine the trail and clear obstacles before my decent.

How very descent of you!!

:)

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Global has the story up too:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1760124/woman-caught-laying-logs-rocks-on-north-vancouver-biking-trails/

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:20 a.m.

I've been phoned all morning by the media, CTV, Metro, CKNW, Globe [HTML_REMOVED] Mail about this. Good to see the mainstream media interest, it will hopefully deter future incidents!

Hats off to those involved.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2854393]The most important product of this event is the revelation of what lies behind the image. Anti-Mtb folks have consistently sought to frame bikers as irresponsible and destructive dregs of society with no respect for culture, nature, or higher social sensibilities.

This has been countered at every turn with Olympic athletes showing up at Town Council, with MTB associations doing trail work and charitable work, with families out riding bikes, and so forth. Simply put, we are just people that enjoy riding bikes, and it is a task to defend ourselves from the moral entrepreneurs that seek to establish themselves as the legitimate authority over nature.

Yet here we have a 64 year old woman, the consummate demographic of what comprises niceness, decency, and conservative values in our society. I'm talking Peak Freans (ones with the jam in the middle) and tea, hand-knit shawls, nature clubs, and giving someone your seat on the bus. This is the face that has been pitched against the adrenaline-addled, frog-crushing, reckless, nature-destroyers of the MTB world.

But now the veil is lifted. This kindly semi-senior citizen facade of North-Vancouver colonial dignity and decorum is revealed for what it is; a cheap plastic mask over an angry selfish and self-righteous zealot, who thinks only of her own pathetic designs of what is an acceptable way to live, regardless of her impacts on other human beings. Rest assured, this person (if we agree to ascribe her the same personhood status as we confer to those that do not engage in sabotage), this person likely justified her actions to herself over and over again, convincing herself that what she did was right. These justifications will likely be twisted into some new pathetic excuse during the defence process, as the perpetrator seeks to reclaim the victim status that she sought to hide behind during her past efforts to paint MTBers as the enemy.

Watch now this wretch of a human squirm in their snare, and try to wriggle wriggle out of the light that has exposed them as a menace to society. If convicted, yes, it will likely be little more than a suspended sentence, conditional sentence, maybe house arrest, and hopefully a trail ban.

Those most directly affected by these acts should prepare themselves to deliver victim-impact statements on how these actions affected them. This can include statements about how the acts of sabotage affected their mental well-being and interfered with their ability to enjoy the trails (as they have a right to do), and perhaps even physical suffering (or bike damage, hey carbon fiber damage!$$$$$) for anyone who actually crashed as a result of her stupidity. It may be high time to seek out all those affected, and ensure they contribute their piece to the investigation in the form of corroborating evidence that documents the extent of this woman's crimes.

Wow. Very well-written commentary.

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2854393]The most important product of this event is the revelation of what lies behind the image. Anti-Mtb folks have consistently sought to frame bikers as irresponsible and destructive dregs of society with no respect for culture, nature, or higher social sensibilities.

This has been countered at every turn with Olympic athletes showing up at Town Council, with MTB associations doing trail work and charitable work, with families out riding bikes, and so forth. Simply put, we are just people that enjoy riding bikes, and it is a task to defend ourselves from the moral entrepreneurs that seek to establish themselves as the legitimate authority over nature.

Yet here we have a 64 year old woman, the consummate demographic of what comprises niceness, decency, and conservative values in our society. I'm talking Peak Freans (ones with the jam in the middle) and tea, hand-knit shawls, nature clubs, and giving someone your seat on the bus. This is the face that has been pitched against the adrenaline-addled, frog-crushing, reckless, nature-destroyers of the MTB world.

But now the veil is lifted. This kindly semi-senior citizen facade of North-Vancouver colonial dignity and decorum is revealed for what it is; a cheap plastic mask over an angry selfish and self-righteous zealot, who thinks only of her own pathetic designs of what is an acceptable way to live, regardless of her impacts on other human beings. Rest assured, this person (if we agree to ascribe her the same personhood status as we confer to those that do not engage in sabotage), this person likely justified her actions to herself over and over again, convincing herself that what she did was right. These justifications will likely be twisted into some new pathetic excuse during the defence process, as the perpetrator seeks to reclaim the victim status that she sought to hide behind during her past efforts to paint MTBers as the enemy.

Watch now this wretch of a human squirm in their snare, and try to wriggle wriggle out of the light that has exposed them as a menace to society. If convicted, yes, it will likely be little more than a suspended sentence, conditional sentence, maybe house arrest, and hopefully a trail ban.

Those most directly affected by these acts should prepare themselves to deliver victim-impact statements on how these actions affected them. This can include statements about how the acts of sabotage affected their mental well-being and interfered with their ability to enjoy the trails (as they have a right to do), and perhaps even physical suffering (or bike damage, hey carbon fiber damage!$$$$$) for anyone who actually crashed as a result of her stupidity. It may be high time to seek out all those affected, and ensure they contribute their piece to the investigation in the form of corroborating evidence that documents the extent of this woman's crimes.

Very nicely put.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:36 a.m.

Global is doing a pair of stories on it.
Jill Bennett is doing a story for the Noon News, John Daly is working on it for 6 o'clock.

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:38 a.m.

How very descent of you!!

:)

Oops!

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

Well spoken, cereal. :beer:

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

I wonder if she was the Cypress saboteur 10 years ago? And I wonder if she actually comprehends just how dangerous these actions are? Some of us have gone down hard, luckily one of those wrecks was just a broken brake lever.

Anyway this is good news thanks, hopefully we can all ride sans fear of traps again. By habit, I'm still going to watch way down the trail before committing to gnarly sections:dizzy:

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

It's interesting seeing the people rushing to defend the accused already. It really reveals some startling truths about people. Nice flame war on the global story page. I self-indulgently reposted my blurb, and some ass-hat started going on about how we need to look at both sides, as if there is a right side to trail sabotage. Needless to say, I think he only made himself look even more "asshattier" as the argument wore on.
I really should be working, and not trolling for trolls……but it's sooooooo much fun.:devil:

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

Wow. Very well-written commentary.

huh, i thought it was overly verbose and read more like this was the second coming of hitler.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 7, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

Global is doing a pair of stories on it.
Jill Bennett is doing a story for the Noon News, John Daly is working on it for 6 o'clock.

john daly is a horrible reporter. the inflection he uses in his reports at times is so over the top it's laughable. the guy should just deliver the news instead of using the news as a substitute for his failed broadway drama showtunes career.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 7, 2015, 1:15 p.m.

I wonder if she was the Cypress saboteur 10 years ago? And I wonder if she actually comprehends just how dangerous these actions are? Some of us have gone down hard, luckily one of those wrecks was just a broken brake lever.

What if it turns out to be, you know, who we hope it turns out to be.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 7, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

I wonder if she was the Cypress saboteur 10 years ago?

that guy was actually a doctor if you can believe it.

im not saying its right but he was told he would get a serious shit kicking if he was seen again screwing with trails. seemed to have worked

Jan. 7, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

Story now on CBC local news:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mountain-bike-trail-traps-trigger-arrest-of-north-vancouver-woman-1.2892616

Ahhh haha … CBC stripped a photo from this forum. Photo credit to "walleater".

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.