railside skatepark

June 6, 2007, 6:55 p.m.

for anyone here who has ridden poco park latley they know how slippery it is, but for the people who dont poco skatepark opened 2 years ago and they decided there would be no paint on it so whenever people painted/ tagged on the park they would paint over it with some paint, dont know exactly what kind of paint it is but it is very slippery at first it wasnt that bad but after 50 layers of it this park is unridable. It is so slippery that if u land or drop in crooked you will slip you cant corner or pump expecially now with the heat and all the dust on it its even worse. So please send an email to [email protected] about the paint and how dangerous this park is to everyone who rides it thanks.

June 6, 2007, 7:01 p.m.

is it like that same crap that they have at the bear creek skatepark??

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 6, 2007, 7:30 p.m.

The only upside is that you can do crazy sliders out of fakie.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

June 6, 2007, 8:10 p.m.

is it like that same crap that they have at the bear creek skatepark??

not nearly as slippery like u cannot ride the bowl well u can but u have to be so careful i just dont drop in anymore and the dust makes it even worse

June 6, 2007, 8:14 p.m.

Its not that bad. I ride it like once a week.

June 6, 2007, 8:21 p.m.

Sounds like PoCo needs to learn a lesson from Burnaby, specifically Bonsor, when it comes to keeping tags off.

June 6, 2007, 8:33 p.m.

ya it's actually not as bad as you described.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

June 6, 2007, 8:52 p.m.

if your doin anything semi risky, then yes it is as bad as he describes it.
Ive slipt out on roll outs and a few other stunts. Goin up the shallow bank onto the skate section fast enough, you can just wash out. It scares me constantly!

June 6, 2007, 9:12 p.m.

we are having the same prob at the brand new park in gibsons with crappy graffiti and tags etc.prob only a matter of time until they paint it with that stuff too.would it not be a solution to hold a graffiti contest and give each guy a square to do his/her chunk.i would like to think that others would nt tag over a decent peice.

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

June 6, 2007, 9:19 p.m.

Sounds like PoCo needs to learn a lesson from Burnaby, specifically Bonsor, when it comes to keeping tags off.

and how do they do that? and personally i think the tags are cool

June 6, 2007, 10:16 p.m.

Calgary's Millenium park isn't painted, and they wash off the tags instead of painting over them. Maybe that would be the way to go. The park is city run. Wicked park, too - go!

June 7, 2007, 1:04 p.m.

I know here, we recently got a largish cement park, the skatepark council was trying to get rid of all graffiti at first. But once we all realized thats almost impossible we changed our tone and started promoting good graffiti there. That way they don't make it slippery with covering paint and it looks nicer as long as the kids and "less talented" writers stay away from it. We haven't had too much trouble yet. Other then something like that I think -T- said it best with the washing it off idea.

June 7, 2007, 1:15 p.m.

we are having the same prob at the brand new park in gibsons with crappy graffiti and tags etc.prob only a matter of time until they paint it with that stuff too.would it not be a solution to hold a graffiti contest and give each guy a square to do his/her chunk.i would like to think that others would nt tag over a decent peice.

I know of a few parks in Canada that have done this and it worked alright. Only thing is that on a skatepark the peices don't last as long in high usage spots since they get rubbed off by wheels and such. Perhaps making an annual graff jam could work. Gives the writers a free spot to paint and keeps the park looking good for its users/public. Definitely advertise such a thing in Van/Victoria, there is lots of insanely talented piecer's there (eg. ENSOE)

June 7, 2007, 7:46 p.m.

and how do they do that? and personally i think the tags are cool

Tags come off the very next day they are applied an no one rides the affected area until the removal process is complete.

June 9, 2007, 12:32 a.m.

I'm one of the new park host's there, I brought it up with Russ, he deals with youth services, parks and rec, etc. City knows how slippery it is and has been trying out different companies for painting over the graffiti. They're trying to find a company who's paint isnt too slippery but I guess they still haven't found a decent one yet. I'll try to keep the bowl as dust free as I can, I guess thats all I can do for now.