Public Outcry needed for the Delta Watershed Please

Feb. 17, 2004, 1:37 p.m.

Due to the recent tear down of most mountain bike related trails in the Delta Watershed, I'm asking anyone who has some spare time to call in to Delta and voice your opinion in a preferred "constructive manner ".

Delta Parks Direct:
604-946-3293 - Tel
[email protected]

Jim Levine should be the appropiate contact.

Thank you :)

Dave

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 17, 2004, 3:06 p.m.

^ STICKY?

perhaps we could get a list of constructive arguments? i'm having a hard time of thinking of many right now (beyond keeping kids out of trouble).

Feb. 17, 2004, 3:24 p.m.

too late….

Feb. 17, 2004, 3:29 p.m.

Actually, its not. Most, if not all of the trails may be in ruins, but we are not giving up much to Delta's dismay I'm sure.

Feb. 17, 2004, 3:31 p.m.

loss of trails sucks.

thread is stuck

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Feb. 17, 2004, 11:52 p.m.

Why have they decided to tear it down now? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?:???:

I happen to like my bike for who it is, not just what it is….

Feb. 17, 2004, 11:53 p.m.

Nevermind I see the other thread….hehehe

I happen to like my bike for who it is, not just what it is….

Feb. 18, 2004, 12:27 a.m.

hey you guys…I don't live out there but if i did I'd be on the blower for sure. You guys gotta stand up in a constructive manner, even if it is too late for the "shed". It could have a great deal to do with the outcome of future events!!!
If you organize yourselves, get some of your moms and dads in on it, you will prevail. Possibly even one of the, or a couple of the LBS's could get involved also…..

Life Part 2

Feb. 18, 2004, 10:20 a.m.

email sent.

my two biggest questions -

What event resulted in this action?

Why was the Bike Association that was maintaining the Delta water shed not informed before this action was taken.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 18, 2004, 10:29 a.m.

Originally posted by Sharon
**email sent.

my two biggest questions -

What event resulted in this action?

Why was the Bike Association that was maintaining the Delta water shed not informed before this action was taken. **

The Reasonng in this happening was that some kid broke his wrist in there and now his/her parents are sueing the municipality over it.

In my opinion the parents a couple of greedy people looking for some quick money. Really who cares about a broken wrist. It may be something to be concerned about but not to go and sue the municipality over it when a broken wrist will heal. I'd like to see if these parents would turn around and sue their kids school if the kid fell on the playground and broke his/her wrist.

I sent an email in aswell. Hopefully we can stop the trails from being torn down.

Feb. 18, 2004, 10:32 a.m.

Originally posted by Dragon_slayer169
The Reasonng in this happening was that some kid broke his wrist in there and now his/her parents are sueing the municipality over it.

Or was it a collar bone?

Was it the parents suing? Or was it that he ran into a city worker on the way out??

I'd like them to tell me the facts. Not that the internet is unreliable or anything…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 18, 2004, 11:02 a.m.

Here's what I had say…

Dear Jim Levine,

In regards to the destruction of the mountain biking obstacles, I don't know what exactly I should write. Just trying to think of something is making my stomach upset. I guess I could describe it as that angry and violated feeling people feel after their home has been burglarised. I would like to know why the decision has been made to destroy most of the obstacles within the Watershed?

The Watershed is one of the last few places in the lower mainland (south of the north shore) for mountain bikers to go for a CHALLENGING ride. Some cyclists prefer to ride terrain that pose challenges to overcome resulting in excitement and a sense of accomplishment. Mountain biking involves risks, much like other sports such as skiing, snowboarding, hockey, football, rugby and rock climbing. Each person who chooses to do any of these sports knows that risks are involved and they must live with the consequences. Why is mountain biking one of the only sports in which people who do not participate in the sport, are the ones who govern the boundaries of the sport? The obstacles and trails within the Watershed have been well maintained by members of the mountain biking community. As I understand, any landowner, be it public or private, is NOT LIABLE for the actions of those who use their land as long as they are not aware of and choose to ignore any extreme hazards (i.e. booby-trapped obstacles) that may exist. "Use at your own risk" is the rule of thumb employed throughout most aspects of our lives. All mountain bikers are taking calculated risks when they choose to ride the obstacles within the Watershed. Therefore, liability should not be the reason for the dismantling of the obstacles within the Watershed. If liability is not the reason, then what is?

I request that the dismantling of the obstacles in the Watershed stop now. I would also like to request that a public meeting be held soon to discuss further action and establish guidelines in which mountain bikers must abide by to allow safely constructed obstacles to be built within the Watershed.

Regards,
Dan Gauthier

I only compete against the rider I was yesterday

Feb. 18, 2004, 11:06 a.m.

ya im e mailing as i speak!

(\ /)
(O.o) help bunny achieve world domination. sig him.
(> <)

Feb. 18, 2004, 11:52 a.m.

Good letter unibiker. Dont hold your breath for a reply though…

Feb. 18, 2004, 12:14 p.m.

Originally posted by Dragon_slayer169
I sent an email in aswell. Hopefully we can stop the trails from being torn down.

They would be gone already. At least most parts consisting of the larger part of the "challenging" trails. Logs are missing completely while some are just sliced.

I'm still not sure as to what happened in regards to the injury of the rider - just the aftermath that followed.

Also - thanks for everyone's support on this :) Its muchly appreciated.