PSA for Squamish Riders

Jan. 4, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

Hey Gang.

Been riding the Four Lakes Trail for a while now. Usually in the dark so as not to run into hikers. Over the holidays it's been real busy with walkers, tobogganers, skaters/hockey players on Stump Lake, the usual dog walkers, basically everybody and their relatives.

The Four Lakes Trail is good for riding. Compact snow with very good climbing traction, good straightline braking, satisfactory cornering grip (you can lean the bike) and it's just tons of fun! I'm pretty comfortable out there as I am every winter. I have ridden on Stump Lake, and Edith Lake already this year.

I went through the ice on Edith Lake this morning! My guess is that there is a spring in the center of the lake. As I was riding on the rock hard ice I suddenly came to a soft spot. Imagine riding on something that has the give/play of a slack line. The bike slowed quickly, I carefully stepped off. Standing there on soft ice I figured I could walk out as my feet sank less than my tires. Nope, went through the ice within a few steps. Again the soft, "stretchy" ice sagged before it broke allowing me grab onto more solid ice and work my way out and roll safely away. I was soaked and not clear of danger yet. I know this must sound a little dramatic.

I walked back to more solid ice and rode off the lake. Rode home; all is well, stroy to tell. Do NOT go onto Edith Lake!

A couple random shots. The second one is of a hole in the ice from a safe distance. Yeah, it's a crappy,stupid, blurry, photo. It is what it is.

Jan. 4, 2016, 9:55 a.m.

Maybe email sorca or post on the "Squamish bike" fb page. You'd probably reach way more people that way.

Jan. 4, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

You were riding on an iced-up lake??

Fuck me, you're braver or stupider than me given recent mild temperatures… :-)

Hope you're OK!

Jan. 4, 2016, 11:30 a.m.

I grew up in ontario which has more lakes by far than bc, going onto a frozen lake is big No NO unless you have checked the ice thickness.
Just don't do it ever , I lost friends that way when I was a kid..
Just dumb…
You are one lucky sob.Glad you are OK

Jan. 4, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

What would possess you to go out on ice? Lucky to be alive.

Jan. 4, 2016, 1:22 p.m.

Seriously close one!

One of your lives was used up right there - guard the rest of them closer than the last.

Jan. 4, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

Let's not kick the crap out of Jbone's judgment too much. We're all very glad he's still with us, and it is very cool and very helpful of him to share his story, regardless of the torching it may attract.

Spread the word, educate others, but let his family give him the gears for his choices. We want others to take this as a good example of sharing helpful information, without worrying about getting shamed.

Thanks J'bone!

Jan. 4, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

Lots of people have been skating on Stump lake and Brohm this past weekend, though when I had a look at Edith today it was not looking that thick.

Thanks for the heads up jbone and stay safe out there everyone!

Jan. 4, 2016, 9:03 p.m.

I thought I was done being surprised at how foolish people can be, looks like I was mistaken.

Jan. 4, 2016, 10:31 p.m.

Glad you're ok…but I can't imagine what reason you would have to be riding across it instead of on a perfectly good trail?

Jan. 5, 2016, 5:59 a.m.

uh oh the nsmb safety council has arrived in full force

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 5, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

jbone thanks for the confirmation on the ice conditions. I've noticed a lot of people have been out on the ice around town and I was thinking it has to be too thin for safe play.

Jan. 5, 2016, 9:49 a.m.

Just a thought…it's one thing to post about an issue and it's indeed helpful. It's even better to immediately warn others. I have taken to carrying bright colored flagging tape on rides to warn others of potential dangers, such as fallen trees, compromised transitions, and hey, maybe thin ice.

I'm not advocating for decorating the trails like a ticker-tape parade, and this isn't about marking every bitty perceived hazard. But if you see something that is a clear and present danger, like a decapitator log, a broken ramp on a blind drop-off, or a path that leads out to thin ice….then putting up a row of pink tape, or striped hazard tape can warn others of the danger. For the ice, it also helps indicate the hazard was detected and marked, and indicates there probably isn't someone still under the ice.

Might just help out someone that doesn't spend all their spare time cruising the world-wide intraweb. Derp.

Jan. 5, 2016, 12:01 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2902365]Just a thought…it's one thing to post about an issue and it's indeed helpful. It's even better to immediately warn others. I have taken to carrying bright colored flagging tape on rides to warn others of potential dangers, such as fallen trees, compromised transitions, and hey, maybe thin ice.

I'm not advocating for decorating the trails like a ticker-tape parade, and this isn't about marking every bitty perceived hazard. But if you see something that is a clear and present danger, like a decapitator log, a broken ramp on a blind drop-off, or a path that leads out to thin ice….then putting up a row of pink tape, or striped hazard tape can warn others of the danger. For the ice, it also helps indicate the hazard was detected and marked, and indicates there probably isn't someone still under the ice.

Might just help out someone that doesn't spend all their spare time cruising the world-wide intraweb. Derp.

Good Call!

About a month ago, while riding in the dark, my headlamp's beam missed a low hanging branch. Fortunately I had time to duck when I saw the branch up close and personal. It was a small branch that bounced off my lid no big deal. Then I heard of a guy who gouged his forehead 'cause he caught that branch under his visor. I feel bad I didn't stop and walk up the hill to take a closer look at that branch. Maybe I could have busted it off, or flagged it if I had tape. I feel worse about that than I do about makin' a fool of myself over going through the ice. I called and emailed people personally just to make a fool of myself regarding the ice. Better that than the other.
One Love. Safe fun; what more could you wish for your brothers and sisters?