Post yer rippers!

Feb. 16, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

My little guy stepping it up big time this year already! 6 yo.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/436932/

I would be lying if I said I wasn't super proud…

Feb. 17, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

^^^Yup, he's killing it for sure!

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Feb. 17, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

You have every right to be proud of that little ripper. Nicely done, dad.

Feb. 17, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

Here's one of my boy a few mths ago on Seymour (10yo)

Also, this is a tough place for kids to ride. There are no real easy places to start and for those of us with kids who get frustrated quickly, living on the NS is probably the kiss of death for their MTBing. I would have thought it would be opposite, but I've dealt with bikes being thrown into the woods every single ride!

Feb. 17, 2016, 2:19 p.m.

Also, this is a tough place for kids to ride. There are no real easy places to start and for those of us with kids who get frustrated quickly, living on the NS is probably the kiss of death for their MTBing. I would have thought it would be opposite, but I've dealt with bikes being thrown into the woods every single ride!

I feel your pain.

Alice Lake is your friend.

Feb. 17, 2016, 4:57 p.m.

The interriver bmx track situation doesn't help at all in that matter. I think I take mine out to bear this weekend, that should be pretty good too.

Feb. 17, 2016, 7:04 p.m.

dude!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 18, 2016, 2:10 p.m.

I feel your pain.

Alice Lake is your friend.

The interriver bmx track situation doesn't help at all in that matter. I think I take mine out to bear this weekend, that should be pretty good too.

Thanks - we just moved here from a place that is easier to ride and Ive made some poor choices on trails when he is in tow. Circuit 8 seemed like a great idea, and it would have been had we not approached it from the back (up that nasty climb between the bottom of fishman and Circuit 8). And I keep pushing him too far and long on Seymour. And the poor kid wants to kill me when we are out on roadbikes - seems impossible to go for a ride without 1000+ft vertical.

Tough riding for kids out here. He is growing more fond of him BMX each day.

Feb. 18, 2016, 2:28 p.m.

Thanks - we just moved here from a place that is easier to ride and Ive made some poor choices on trails when he is in tow. Circuit 8 seemed like a great idea, and it would have been had we not approached it from the back (up that nasty climb between the bottom of fishman and Circuit 8). And I keep pushing him too far and long on Seymour. And the poor kid wants to kill me when we are out on roadbikes - seems impossible to go for a ride without 1000+ft vertical.

Tough riding for kids out here. He is growing more fond of him BMX each day.

Endless Biking might be able to help you out. I’m not usually a pay for lessons type of person, but Endless has it pretty dialed. They have a really good understanding about what trails (and duration) are suitable for specific skill levels. I’ve also found that it’s really beneficial for my kid to ride with peers instead of just me. Not unlike adults, seeing hard riding kids of similar age inspires the bigger guts.

Feb. 18, 2016, 2:34 p.m.

Tough riding for kids out here.

i think seymour is a much tougher place to start than fromme, for example, because the latter has a road you can either ride, walk or toe up. once they're hooked on the thrill of going downhill they're a bit more willing to work (climb) for it, ime. we started on king of the shore and lower griffen - and mels and dead moped on sfu - then worked our way up to bobsled, still a perennial favorite. don't fret about walking stuff that s/he feel uncomfortable with, as long as you stop and look at it and talk about how they would ride it, you know, if they chose to do so (oh the power of suggestion!). go regularly so they get used to it, make it fun, healthy treats and ice-cream apres are your friend. riding with my son is one of my absolutely most favorite things to do these days, but i definitely remember putting in the work in the early years

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 18, 2016, 3:21 p.m.

i think seymour is a much tougher place to start than fromme, for example, because the latter has a road you can either ride, walk or toe up. once they're hooked on the thrill of going downhill they're a bit more willing to work (climb) for it, ime. we started on king of the shore and lower griffen - and mels and dead moped on sfu - then worked our way up to bobsled, still a perennial favorite. don't fret about walking stuff that s/he feel uncomfortable with, as long as you stop and look at it and talk about how they would ride it, you know, if they chose to do so (oh the power of suggestion!). go regularly so they get used to it, make it fun, healthy treats and ice-cream apres are your friend. riding with my son is one of my absolutely most favorite things to do these days, but i definitely remember putting in the work in the early years

Agreed, definitely more choice on Fromme:
Upper Griffen [HTML_REMOVED] King of the shore…. then we usually hike it out through Natural High
Bobsled!
Tried Floppy Bunny the other day, which was still a bit too much although it was also pouring rain.
Some of my sons all time favorites are Highschool society (Seymour) and Rollercoaster (Squamish).

July 22, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

Last weekend my five year old son and me went to the local bikepark and he rode for nearly three days straight, apart from sleeping and eating he just wanted to hit the skills area's tablejumps and berms.

After one day at home we went straight to Loosefest in Malmedy, which is basically a two hour drive - a reason to go there more often in the future, some really nice jumps and berms.

We left the little bike park today, but nearly three days of seeing our heroes hit the biggest jumps we have ever seen was mind-bending. We had a blast. He rode the pumptrack, like a machine, and in the evenings we watched the riders fly.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 22, 2016, 11:22 a.m.

Last weekend my five year old son and me went to the local bikepark and he rode for nearly three days straight, apart from sleeping and eating he just wanted to hit the skills area's tablejumps and berms.

After one day at home we went straight to Loosefest in Malmedy, which is basically a two hour drive - a reason to go there more often in the future, some really nice jumps and berms.

We left the little bike park today, but nearly three days of seeing our heroes hit the biggest jumps we have ever seen was mind-bending. We had a blast. He rode the pumptrack, like a machine, and in the evenings we watched the riders fly.

that's awersome Mic, the pics look great!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 22, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

most excellent post.

Jan. 4, 2017, 3:48 a.m.

The little one got a new bike for Christmas. A little too big but the old one was simply too small.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer