Post yer rippers!

May 30, 2011, 2:59 p.m.

just got my son a 16" for his 4th bday. pink (by request) specialized hotrock 16 courtesy of the bike gallery on 10th (first new bike i've purchased in 17 years). made a few mod's to de-girly it (black seat and grips, removed flower and butterfly decals, removed pink chain guard) and added some custom decals (thanks ian!):

took it down to the local park pre-party for a test ride. i swear every picture i have is of a blur or some goofy ass face he's making

he's totally stoked on it, no learning curve going to a bigger bike. seat's a bit higher than on his old norco 12" but the handlebars are at the same height, though a bit further out, and wider - might have to trim them down. first trail ride scheduled for father's day :)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 30, 2011, 4:02 p.m.

Almost 3 now so she's come a long way from her first pic in this thread, and is just starting get comfortable with picking her feet up on the bike and wants to take it out every time my wife or I do. Going to replace that big wooden run bike with a lighter one for her birthday this year as the wooden one has a tendency of pulling her over, but even when the bike is almost too heavy to hold up she persists. Stubborn, and awesome.

May 30, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

Going to replace that big wooden run bike with a lighter one for her birthday this year as the wooden one has a tendency of pulling her over, but even when the bike is almost too heavy to hold up she persists. Stubborn, and awesome.

I bought a Strider run bike for the same reason - it's low and light. Foam tires, plastic wheels, plastic headset and a place to rest their feet. Replacement parts are cheap whereas some of the run bikes can be difficult to even get parts from the LBS that sells them. Check Craigslist, as they sell these bikes through dealers that are little more than people selling them out of their houses. http://www.stridersports.com/

May 30, 2011, 9:11 p.m.

I bought a Strider run bike for the same reason - it's low and light. Foam tires, plastic wheels, plastic headset and a place to rest their feet. Replacement parts are cheap whereas some of the run bikes can be difficult to even get parts from the LBS that sells them. Check Craigslist, as they sell these bikes through dealers that are little more than people selling them out of their houses. http://www.stridersports.com/

Thanks! I've seen the Strider bikes around online, and also I think a shop in Port Moody sells them. I'll have to take another look, especially since the little girl has asked for a pink bike for her birthday. :)

May 30, 2011, 9:29 p.m.

Nice. I was just looking at these today actually because of the low stand over. The Norco / Adams ones are a touch too high right now.

Thanks! I've seen the Strider bikes around online, and also I think a shop in Port Moody sells them. I'll have to take another look, especially since the little girl has asked for a pink bike for her birthday. :)

This place seems to have them on the shore, though I've never heard of 'em http://wildsoul.ca/

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

May 30, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDhSdPdbXg

Somebody embed this for me, I don;t know what's up with my ability to add Youtube links all of a sudden? (Edit: Thanks ADS)

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

May 30, 2011, 9:54 p.m.

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDhSdPdbXg

Somebody embed this for me, I don;t know what's up with my ability to add Youtube links all of a sudden?

:lol: That's so rad. Maybe I should get one for myself as well.

May 30, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

I paid $115 from a vendor through Craigslist for our Strider, so look around

May 31, 2011, 10:05 a.m.

Do Strider's have better standover height? My daughter is 18 months, loves her trike and has been desparate to try a balance bike every time we see one. I just can't seem to find one that is small enough for her. Any suggestions?

May 31, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

Do Strider's have better standover height? My daughter is 18 months, loves her trike and has been desparate to try a balance bike every time we see one. I just can't seem to find one that is small enough for her. Any suggestions?

yup, the Strider's are the lowest seat height for the run bikes. I bought mine for my son when he was 18 months as well.

May 31, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

Approximately 5 months old.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 31, 2011, 10:42 a.m.

I know a few people that have taken the seat off a runbike and ziptied some foam to the top tube. Makes for a nice and low standover as well.

May 31, 2011, 10:58 a.m.

I know a few people that have taken the seat off a runbike and ziptied some foam to the top tube. Makes for a nice and low standover as well.

friends of mine did something like that for their 18mo old daughter: took the seat post off and strapped the seat to the top tube; seems to drop it just over an inch

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 31, 2011, 11:01 a.m.

My little guy had a Norco and didn't really want anything to do it with it. The Strider guys had a tent set-up at Lonsdale Quay and he got on one and hasn't looked back. I thoughtvthe stand over was lower but I compared the two and they are pretty close. The Strider was a quite a bit lighter so i think that was the difference.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 31, 2011, 11:02 a.m.

funny; did this just last night. the slammed stock seat was still too high. note the stylie flipped bar as well.