Post ride aches and pains

June 11, 2012, 8:40 p.m.

Spy novels and sunshine took precedent over riding today after I slept in. Only got 32km and 1000m this evening. Had a chocolaté mill on the pedal home. Now going to try this out before dinner

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 11, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

Gota say i'm feeling much better today. Physio and massage are a wonderful combo. although my therapists elbows are damn pointy! i was doing ok till she dug into my thighs. I like the idea of laying in a stream though, a nice cool down and it'll wash off all the sweat and dirt :)

Yoga is cheaper than a massage, and the scenery is good too.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

June 11, 2012, 10:50 p.m.

Yoga is cheaper than a massage, and the scenery is good too.

LOL there's now way i could pull off yoga right now. My leg muscles are shot! I feel like a million bucks though now. MMMMM yoga pants :high:

June 12, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

Stretching is good for sure.

actually the post-exercise stretch does next to nothing. i cant remember the exact number but one very detailed study i read on it said that the pain difference between people who stretched post workout and people who didnt was around 4-5%. not a noticeable number.

OP the best thing you can do to avoid pain is a good warm-up (not static stretching, that also does next to nothing for soreness and injury prevention), and just generally be in good shape. the better shape you're in the less recovery time your body needs and the less sore you will be.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

June 12, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

actually the post-exercise stretch does next to nothing. i cant remember the exact number but one very detailed study i read on it said that the pain difference between people who stretched post workout and people who didnt was around 4-5%. not a noticeable number.

OP the best thing you can do to avoid pain is a good warm-up (not static stretching, that also does next to nothing for soreness and injury prevention), and just generally be in good shape. the better shape you're in the less recovery time your body needs and the less sore you will be.

Which is why cross training is so useful. I used to get stiff and sore, then I really started bouldering and yoga, and the strengthening of muscle groups that don't get a work out from riding (Which is a lot) has really helped with recovery and endurance, and has made me a better rider all around.

June 12, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

Which is why cross training is so useful. I used to get stiff and sore, then I really started bouldering and yoga, and the strengthening of muscle groups that don't get a work out from riding (Which is a lot) has really helped with recovery and endurance, and has made me a better rider all around.

What the smurf is bouldering??

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

Google, it is your friend…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBvy0eX5-28

June 12, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

So … I went for a 110 km road ride yesterday (not leaving mtn bike for lycra, training for Ride to Conquer Cancer). Been feeling a lot of lactic acid build up in my legs and body after training rides lately, so last night I tried a couple suggestions.

1. Hot and Cold shower, this was not pleasant the first time but after round 2, not so bad, round 3, felt good. Just ran the warm shower over legs and body and stretched a bit, then ran cold water from shower over legs and body. Had to really submit to the cold water and let it bring the body temperature down before switching back to warm. Repeat, finished with warm water.

2. Used a foam roller on back and legs to roll out quads and hamstrings etc.

got mine here,

http://www.vancouversportsmassage.com/thera-roll-foam-roller

Slept well, no restless legs and back from lactic acid fatigue and woke up feeling fine today.

Oh yeah, had a beer in the shower, but that's not out of the ordinary routine.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

June 12, 2012, 10:42 a.m.

it is to rockclimbing what "all mountain" is to riding your bike

June 12, 2012, 11:05 a.m.

it is to rockclimbing what "all mountain" is to riding your bike

I'd say it's more the DH of climbing. But Bluth would have to actually ride a bike to get the analogy.

June 12, 2012, 11:07 a.m.

I'd say it's more the DH of climbing. But Bluth would have to actually ride a bike to get the analogy.

Bluth does ride a bike (xc hardtail) and will be upgrading within a couple months. He also enjoys long walks on the beach and surf-jazz fusion.

Wrong. Always.

June 12, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

Spy novels and sunshine took precedent over riding today after I slept in. Only got 32km and 1000m this evening. Had a chocolaté mill on the pedal home. Now going to try this out before dinner

I know the guy who started Townsite Brewery and they are just getting started with awesome beer. Got a chance to try some of that Zunga on tap recently. It's really really good. /derail

June 12, 2012, 7:41 p.m.

I know the guy who started Townsite Brewery and they are just getting started with awesome beer. Got a chance to try some of that Zunga on tap recently. It's really really good. /derail

Cool. I grabbed one of these and an IPA last time I was up there. I enjoyed it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 12, 2012, 8:02 p.m.

If you have a bad neck,i suggest a carbon helmet ,it has helped me tons,pricey but so worth it!

June 17, 2012, 5:30 a.m.

I picked one up a while ago, it did make a huge difference. I think it all came down to first time out for the season/ way too many laps to expect not being sore.

On a side note about the neck, ended up giving myself some nasty whiplash last year on after falling off the big log ride on aftertaste. Landed flat on my back from 8' up. It was the dump truck that broke the camels back lol. Been going to physio now to get the muscels in my neck working properly again because all the deeper muscels aren't doing they're job so everything else is trying to compensate =/